Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

dedictaed speakers for balance?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ultimatenyle, Jul 14, 2002.

1. ultimatenyle

ultimatenyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will be getting a new surround amp soon (£200-£300) once all the new releases are out and available to demo but was wondering what speakers to get, not necessarily make but type i.e.

would it not be better to get the same speaker for all channels (except sub of course) to get a more balanced sound in respect to the new surround sound processing (6.1, dpl2 etc) for films and music instead of different (dedicated) speakers for centre, front, rear. the sub/sat speaker packages do so i was thinking it would sound better.

i had in mind smallish (m72s) speakers with possibley a sub later, as my room is about 14x12

i'd be listening to both audio cds, films and audio dvds.

i have a 32" tosh flatscreen crt and will immently be upgrading my wharfedale dvd750 to a toshiba510 dvd which can do the dvd-a

can anyone tell me if they have done or heard this kind of set up and how it compares to normal surround setups.
    cheers

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    In an ideal world one would have identical speakers all round (as per THX spec). Dedicated centre speakers never sound quite the same as the front pair as whilst they may use similar drivers the shape of the box is different and is normally a different size.

You have to ensure that the speaker that you use as a centre is magnetically shielded.