Dedicated Wooden Outbuilding Home Cinema

I assume Whalleys for the Devore. I didn't find them very helpful - they didn't know too much about the product. And have so far not returned my request for manufacturer details to enquire with them.

How are you fixing yours to the wall? I am looking at adhesive straight to the plaster.....or there was a suggestion of 6mm plywood and french cleating these.

This picture shows the internal wall where the "bar-top" will be fixed. The horizontal pieces will "clamp" the Granite - and be clamped with bolts/washers too. I am hoping it will be strong enough to hold and look like a floating shelf. Else the right hand wall can be used to support it if need be.

Attachments

• Wooden Outbuilding 23.jpg
    Wooden Outbuilding 23.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 483
Yeah ordered it from whalleys, just ordered it online so didn't need to speak to them :) not sure how I'm gonna fix it to the wall yet, was think of using 6mm ply maybe, will figure it once I crack on with it. Might even just use 6mm mdf and stick straight to the wall yet :) whatever is easier to be honest

This picture shows the hallway, and then the equipment room door lining....this is only 500mm wide. I have kept it small, as the right hand side will hold the projector inside the room and I didn't want it to stick out when walking it.

Also, just to the right of the door is where the light switch, alarm keypad and Squeezebox Touch will all be mounted. This gave a large piece of plasterboard in which to mount them...nearly finished this bit today.

Attachments

• Wooden Outbuilding 26.jpg
    Wooden Outbuilding 26.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 458
My plasterer has been round, he seemed OK to take it on - but not for a couple of weeks. I am trying to crack on then tell him it's ready when he is - so he can use it as a fill in job if need be.

A glimpse of the future .....it's what is sparing me on. 3 LCR, and 6 Surround speakers - all in Playroom, taking up the room. Nobody is moaning at me yet though.....But beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel....or is that a Projector on the horizon?

Attachments

• 20150308_203913000_iOS.jpg
    20150308_203913000_iOS.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 457
  • 20150308_203823000_iOS.jpg
    20150308_203823000_iOS.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 445
remind me again, what's the dimensions of your cabin, how big will the cinema room be when you've finished? You looking at getting 3 meter screen in there? Sorry I'm taking over your thread :)

Not at all - as you know, our builds are similar. My screen image size will be 100" x 42" in 2.35:1

Home Cinema Room will be 2.8m wide by 4.1m (after the 300mm recess for hiding the speakers). I would say baffle wall - but I am not sure what I am doing here yet. hence me asking you :)

Not at all - as you know, our builds are similar. My screen image size will be 100" x 42" in 2.35:1

Home Cinema Room will be 2.8m wide by 4.1m (after the 300mm recess for hiding the speakers). I would say baffle wall - but I am not sure what I am doing here yet. hence me asking you :)

Good work Wayne, coming on a treat.

I think you will find that the devore is to thin to glue directly onto the plasterboard, and the glue would start to come through when taught. Using another way of attaching would be better, i.e. the boards, or frames etc.

Also, if you can accommodate it, a 500mm gap behind the screen wall will allow the speakers to be positioned further from the wall, meaning less reflection and some extra space to put absorption material if required. Also it will give you more space to hide an average subwoofer, if this is to be positioned in the screenwall?

I only received a small sample of the Devore from Whalleys, so it was difficult to tell. They only offered advice to contact local universities who were more familiar with working with textiles, when I asked about adhesives.

I recall you have a plastic retention system for clamping the material. Any links?

I do plan to put the sub woofers below the screen - they will fit in the 300mm gap (sideways). I have checked with the screen supplier, Seymour, about the XD material, and they gave great advice on distances, angles etc.

I will look to treat the front wall, probably more of the insulation from the walls - but only in response to measurements from REW when I get round to it. The excessive amounts of Devore I intend using may cause me an acoustic problem.

At Bristol, GIK Acoustics were helpful, so I may be contacting them at some point too.

I only received a small sample of the Devore from Whalleys, so it was difficult to tell. They only offered advice to contact local universities who were more familiar with working with textiles, when I asked about adhesives.

I recall you have a plastic retention system for clamping the material. Any links?

I do plan to put the sub woofers below the screen - they will fit in the 300mm gap (sideways). I have checked with the screen supplier, Seymour, about the XD material, and they gave great advice on distances, angles etc.

I will look to treat the front wall, probably more of the insulation from the walls - but only in response to measurements from REW when I get round to it. The excessive amounts of Devore I intend using may cause me an acoustic problem.

At Bristol, GIK Acoustics were helpful, so I may be contacting them at some point too.

The plastic tracking is from Camstage. Found here.

Regarding the subs, that is perfect that the subs fit in the 300mm gap, but make sure you consider the future, i.e. if you change your subs in the future they may need more space. You would not be the first to upgrade the subs to a bigger breed at a later date, and you do not want to limit your options too much;)

Agreed Seymour screen material. What distance are you thinking the front row will be from the screen now?

I think you will be surprised how little impact devore would have on the acoustic properties of the room. When taught it is not totally acoustically transparent, but it is not that far off, so you may need some absorption behind some of the devore:)

I have found my big space getting smaller - I reduced the equipment room and gave it to the space behind the screen. I can't afford 500mm....life is a compromise.

I have protected for 6 sub woofer locations in the room - with in-built wiring and sockets. So if I ever upgrade subs, I can either have a few inches sticking out at the bottom, of re-locate elsewhere.

Attachments

• 1- View showing Proj to Screen and Speakers.pdf
    14 KB · Views: 125
  • 2 - View to the Screen.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 78
I picked up the Granite bar-top and speaker plates. Another compromise - as they have drilled the holes in the wrong place. I have lifted the bar top into the cinema room, and its not coming out. I should be able to work around it...I'll see when I get to that bit.

I have found my big space getting smaller - I reduced the equipment room and gave it to the space behind the screen. I can't afford 500mm....life is a compromise.

I have protected for 6 sub woofer locations in the room - with in-built wiring and sockets. So if I ever upgrade subs, I can either have a few inches sticking out at the bottom, of re-locate elsewhere.
I can understand that:)

I just hope you don't say 'life is a compromise' to the Mrs, otherwise your life could be compromised:p

All plaster cut out for Alarm Keypad, SqBox Touch and 6 gang switch.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426112787.465269.jpg

I also lifted the bar-top into position, still debating whether it will need a supporting bracket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426112875.557370.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426112909.081677.jpg

Working out the clamping method....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426112942.334144.jpg

I ended up fixing the top 4x2 down at end end, and using some spare coach bolts to pin it down too. There is a supporting 4x2 along the side wall, I'll need to remove or replace it, but I was keen to get the top studs in and start on the AC Unit wall.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426113091.058231.jpg

I have most of this done - I will be using 22mm OSB embedded in the wall above the bar-top to ensure the AC unit can be securely screwed. I need to finish off the wiring in this wall.

Then the Projector opening will need designing. I have an A4 Optical Glass but I need to decide how this is assembled so it can be removed for cleaning too.

I think I am making good progress, but the list gets added to everyday.

The granite bar-top looks great though....

Great job, coming on nicely, feeding my inspiration...been toying with doing something similar for the past year or more..just need to get started o_O

Thanks. Take your time...plan, then plan some more[emoji1]. But at some point, get the base laid, and you are away. It's very rewarding....

I have ordered the PJ yesterday, another tick on the list of things to do. I opted for the Sony 55 - as the free PS4 (now sold before it arrives) made the 40 v 55 difference small-ish. I am into doing the calibration stuff, and the 55 iris and more preset/memory had the edge. Big thanks to Ricky @ Kalibrate for his time, and knowledge, he has been as accommodating as ever.

I am in no rush for it, but a few decisions had to be made to finish the internal wall off, so once committed to the Sony, time to place an order.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426952765.016547.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426952782.235369.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426953044.713314.jpg

This was done a few days ago, not had a chance to progress this weekend.

Top right hole. - AC Unit
Top Left - PJ

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426952798.471810.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426952798.471810.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 419
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426953167.643731.jpg

I have now finished off the plaster boarding in the equipment room. Some tricky bits, around the Projector shelf and bar top, mostly trying to do it in one piece....

My external hole & pipe for the AC unit needed tidying up, including how to finish it around the log lap outside.

I have also spent loads of time trying to get the outside door handle mounted. With it being 96mm tick, and loglap shape needing to be chiselled out for the handle, it took ages. It's not fantastic, but works well enough to latch the door, to allow the deadlocks to lock easily.

No photos, as I have lost my iPhone :-(

Plasterer booked in for Thursday / Friday..

I updated my consumer unit in the house today, in anticipation of the SWA cable run. Another job that took longer than I thought, but it was main switch, 3 RCDs in a 21 Way board. That's my excuse anyway...The route for the SWA is worked out, but will involve crawling under my floor, I might need help in feeding the cables from above while I pull them through. Time to call a favour in.

Daikin Emura AC arrives Tuesday, Projector Wednesday.

Away now for a few days, so I will get stuck into it again later in the week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 444
I have been looking at Seating options today - pretty constrained by my width really. And the position of the door. Ideally I would like 3 seats, Main Listening Position is easier then. I have ~2700mm width. I am looking for leather electric recliners.

Individual seats are about 900mm. I am toying with a double and a single too. It may be that a 3 seater with no intermediate arms would work, ~2500mm. But getting past any of these to sit down involves moving them out of the way.

DFS have a "Supreme" example, with all 3 seats electric. Still looking though - if you have seen something I should consider, by all means let me know.

I took a visit to Delux Deco today, regarding the Seating, very impressed with them. Their website shows a curved arrangement of the Paramount Home Cinema range, but it turns out they can do them straight too. Seeing the samples first hand also made me change my mind on colour.

3 Seater Straight - 2460mm

2 Seater Straight - 1700mm

1 Seater Straight - 940mm

I now need to decide the best combination for me, and which compromise of moving furniture I am prepared to put up with.

3 Seater and leave them reclined - and get to them "Dukes of Hazard" style......

- I will wait until the weekend when the plastering is finished, for final dimensions.

Attachments

• 20150406_100329000_iOS.jpg
    20150406_100329000_iOS.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom