dedicated video drive

D

dirt

I recently added a dedicated video drive to my pc - 80gig 7200.
In Premiere Pro capture settings, I set the program to capture to my new drive and everything was just fine.

Then my friend came visiting and said I should also have Prem.Pro installed to my dedicated drive so that my main drive didn't have to worry about capturing footage and could be left in peace to get on with the more mundane tasks like running windows etc.

I've since been informed by yet another source that this is wrong, and that my dedicated drive should have nothing on it but captured footage so that nothing can interfere with the capture process.Also, he says that it's a lot easier to delete used footage by simply formatting the drive.

They both seem to have a credible point.So can anyone tell me who is correct, please?

Personally , nothing on the dedicated drive apart from the video files.

Keep the dedicated video drive just for the captured video. Do not install any programmes on it if you can avoid doing so.
The IDE interface gets stretch close to its limits when capturing DV footage. By putting just the footage on the drive you spread the resorces across the 2 drives as Premiere will be transfering data to and from its own install drive whilst in use.
I bought a preconfigured NLE PC and this is the way it was set up, and this was done by a dedicated NLE PC retailer so they should know what they are doing. I also got the same advice from Computer Video mag and their web site & forum. Take a look at it Here

Mark.

Thanks for the kind advice, guys.

I've been editing video for nearly 2years now and it seems I'm learning something new every day.

Paul.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom