Dedicated TV Room

Marshall Mike

I'm in the early stages of planning, but basically we are moving from an open plan room into a dedicated, sealed TV room. As I try to decide how to go about preparing the room for 5.1.4, there are a few questions popping into my head, such as:
  • One sub or two? Although it will probably be two...
  • Bipole or monopole surrounds?
  • Acoustic panels? I know nothing about them...
The biggest question I have just now though is which room to move into as I have a choice of two.
  • The first room is 4m x 4.2m x 2.9m (L,W,H) and 49m3 (1720ft3). It has a large window as it is at the front of the house and my wife doesn't want her back to that window. (This means the room is wider than it is longer).
  • The second room is 3.6m x 3.8m x 2.5m (L,W,H) and 34m3 (1208ft3). It has a single rear door to a patio but no other windows.
I'm leaning towards the first room simply because it is larger, but the two draw backs as far as I can see are the large window and the fact the room is wider than it is longer.

I could possibly swap the orientation of the second room so that's its longer than it is wider, but due to the entrance door I need to measure if there's room for the speakers/TV/sub/s to fit along that wall.

So, from a purely audio perspective, which room do you think would be better?

Jester1066

The first room is 4m x 4.2m x 2.9m (L,W,H) and 49m3 (1720ft3). It has a large window as it is at the front of the house and my wife doesn't want her back to that window. (This means the room is wider than it is longer).
Hi Mike

This is pretty much the size of my living room. Mines slightly longer, but same width. I run a 5.2.4 setup (TV on short wall). It's not a dedicated room though, so I have the normal considerations etc. No acoustic treatment (just normal carpet/soft furnishings). My kit is listed in my signature. I use Bi/Dipole switchable as rears since my sofa's against the wall.

Happy to answer any questions etc. I'm no expert and as always there's compromises - but to me it sounds awesome, so you should be able to do a 5.1(2).4 in your room too.

😊

Harkon321

Room layout drawing might help. Also any issues with sound travelling to rest of the house or neighbours that’s worth also weight to one or the other.

Surrounds depends on distance from MLP. Closer you are, the better bipolar will be.

Acoustic panels might be difficult if you’ve got a big window on the one side wall.

Marshall Mike

Hi Mike

This is pretty much the size of my living room. Mines slightly longer, but same width. I run a 5.2.4 setup (TV on short wall). It's not a dedicated room though, so I have the normal considerations etc. No acoustic treatment (just normal carpet/soft furnishings). My kit is listed in my signature. I use Bi/Dipole switchable as rears since my sofa's against the wall.

Happy to answer any questions etc. I'm no expert and as always there's compromises - but to me it sounds awesome, so you should be able to do a 5.1(2).4 in your room too.

😊
Thanks for the feedback. It’s the fact that the room has a big window plus its slightly wider than it is longer is annoying me. First world problems and all that :)

Marshall Mike

Room layout drawing might help. Also any issues with sound travelling to rest of the house or neighbours that’s worth also weight to one or the other.

Surrounds depends on distance from MLP. Closer you are, the better bipolar will be.

Acoustic panels might be difficult if you’ve got a big window on the one side wall.
Don’t know how to make a drawing but I can try get some pictures up later, though the rooms still to be emptied. The house is detached and the two rooms in question are next to each other. The bigger room being at the front of the house.

I run bipoles now as we sit hard against the rear wall in our current room. I’m looking to move forward from the rear wall by at least a metre or two in the new room. How much space to accommodate monopole?

Do acoustic panels need placed symmetrically on both walls then?

Jester1066

I run bipoles now as we sit hard against the rear wall in our current room. I’m looking to move forward from the rear wall by at least a metre or two in the new room. How much space to accommodate monopole?
Same as me! (in bold).

1m from the wall in the new room would be pushing it for monopole. 2m would be better though!

Last edited:

Harkon321

I wouldn’t want a monopole a metre away from me. I’ve tried it at 1.5m and still prefer something I can’t locate easily. Some of it is personal preference. The only caveat to that is rears in a 7.1. I don’t find my rears distracting at all at 1m, but surrounds at 90deg at a slightly bigger distance I do.

Jester1066

@Harkon321 - Actually thinking about it now, you're right. 1m although doable, is probably too close in reality. I've edited my original reply.

Marshall Mike

I read monopole is better for Atmos. I’m toying with the idea of moving my Gold 100’s to surround duties and getting Gold 200’s for the fronts. The other option is keeping the 100’s up front and replacing the Silver FX with Gold FX.

Harkon321

I read monopole is better for Atmos. I’m toying with the idea of moving my Gold 100’s to surround duties and getting Gold 200’s for the fronts. The other option is keeping the 100’s up front and replacing the Silver FX with Gold FX.

In theory it is but only if you have room to avoid any localisation of speakers.

The difference between the two is personal preference around the imaging, but if you get drawn to that left surround and it distracts you from the screen every time there is a noise, you can throw the theory out of the window. Putting surrounds at ear level can be put in that same box as well.

Marshall Mike

Sounds like the sensible approach is the Gold FX. I would save on floor space too I suppose. I’m not sure what seating we will put in there yet either, but if it’s high backed like our current couch then it could be hard to hear the farther away stand mount 100’s unless they were either side of the couch. Or wall mounted.

Marshall Mike

Excuse the clutter, we have some work to do to get rid of all the old furniture, but here are some pics of room one:

This would be the TV wall at 4.2m wide, 2.9m high:
IMG_20220205_102651.JPG

This is the right side wall at 4m long:
IMG_20220205_102711.JPG

Left side wall:
IMG_20220205_102728.JPG

And the rear wall:
IMG_20220205_102748.JPG

My wife isn't too keen on the exposed brick you can see on the rear wall, so it will probably be plaster boarded over and the glass door replaced with wood.

Marshall Mike

Again, excuse the clutter but this is room two:

Potential TV wall, 3.6m wide and 2.5m high:
IMG_20220205_102858.JPG

Potential TV wall, 3.8m wide:
IMG_20220205_161959.JPG

Side/rear wall:
IMG_20220205_102914.JPG

Side/rear wall:
IMG_20220205_103007.JPG

My wife would prefer this room made into a guest bedroom, plus we have no idea what to do with room one if we choose this one for TV. The door on the right of the last pic leads to an en suite bathroom which would be boarded up and a new door made out in the hall to access the bathroom.

Marshall Mike

Been looking into acoustic panels, and for the large window I found this site:

Acoustic curtains specifically designed to absorb sound. I need to read more into how they are different from normal blackout curtains.

Marshall Mike

Common sense has decided that I will use the first room as the dedicated room and keep the other as a spare bedroom.

I'm looking into a pelmet being built around the perimeter of the room to house down lights and I would like an LED strip for the ceiling also for ambient lighting.

Can anyone recommend any HomeKit compatible led light strips? I found two on Amazon, anyone used them? Also, do you just have plug sockets fitted within the pelmet to power them?

Amazon product

Amazon product

Harkon321

Only HomeKit one I know works is Hue. Expensive though. Is Govee compatible with HomeKit?

And yes, get a couple of double sockets wired up in the pelmet. Hue, for example, can only do 10m max so you may need more than one socket.

Marshall Mike

Only HomeKit one I know works is Hue. Expensive though. Is Govee compatible with HomeKit?

And yes, get a couple of double sockets wired up in the pelmet. Hue, for example, can only do 10m max so you may need more than one socket.
Yeah, the Hue ones are ridiculously expensive!

I quickly checked and while Govee isn't natively compatible, I think it would work via HomeBridge. Obviously, HomeBridge is a work around and my preference would be something native to HomeKit but I'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

Harkon321

Yeah, the Hue ones are ridiculously expensive!

I quickly checked and while Govee isn't natively compatible, I think it would work via HomeBridge. Obviously, HomeBridge is a work around and my preference would be something native to HomeKit but I'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

Never buy Hue at full price; always Black Friday, Prime Day/classifieds etc.

There will be other compatible strips.

One thing worth checking is how dim they go. Hue strips will dim down to almost nothing, cheaper brands do not. I decided to fit Hue in the cinema room for this reason.

Marshall Mike

I bought two 5m RGBIC LED strips, Onvis and Govee, to test over the coming months to see which I like better. Govee will need controlled via HomeBridge for automation, but shouldn't be an issue as I use HB for a lot of other stuff.

Amazon product

Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom