Question Dedicated Surround sound or Soundbar?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by arj7, Jun 26, 2015.

1. arj7

arj7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I have just got my first house and am planning on setting up a smaller room as my 'games' room. I'm looking at a 55inch 4k tv to be wall mounted, the issue I have is do I go for a soundbar, or go the whole hog and get a dedicated surround sound.

I was just wondering what people with smaller rooms did, is there a way of being able to fit an amp, sub and speakers in a way that doesn't take over the room?

Any help would be much appreciated, I am doing as much research as I can.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    Room - dimensions and layout plan would be handy, pics even better.

AVR + 5.1 Spks - will always be a better option than a Soundbar.

Stereo Amp + 2.0/2.1 Spks - will also be better than a Soundbar and arguably a better match with many small rooms depending on your furniture/seating layout.

Soundbar - will often be better when used in 2.0/2.1 mode vs. surround mode if the room/layout precludes you getting a good 'bounce' off of your side walls.

Joe

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Sound bars can be easy to setup etc. but will not give a proper surround sound effect and will not sound as good as an AVR or stereo amp. They will sound better than the TV speakers though. So it really depends on what you want to achieve.

4. Xionn

Xionn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    arj7, my family and I are moving into a new house in August and going to have one of the smaller rooms upstairs as a games room too, I'll have to get the dimensions but may be similar size to yours. The current 55 inch Samsung ES8000 TV we have I am going to use for that room, and take the AV too, but the Tannoy Mercury V1/V4/VC speakers we have might be overkill for that room, so I'm going to buy some smaller but still effective speakers for a 5.1 setup. In our new living room, I'm going to get a new TV/AV/Speakers and probably just keep SkyHD / Blu-ray player there and have my Playstation 4/Xbox One/WiiU in the games room.

Go with the dedicated surround sound, I was thinking of soundbar too, but you're just going to lose that immersive feel. There are so many moments during games where the rear speakers have been really effective, some times where I have genuinely turned because I thought someone was there, or something that made me jump. You seem like you're going to have a decent TV, so make the sound as important as the vision :). It will be worth it in those gaming moments to come, especially with newer games coming out.

5. arj7

arj7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It sounds like we are in the exact same situation, I guess I knew 5.1 is better but I heard strides had been made in terms of soundbars. The review for Yamaha YSP-2500 seemed to be very positive.

If you dont mind me asking what are you thinking in terms of surround sound for your smaller games room?

6. arj7

arj7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Joe, the dimensions are 2.79m x 2.75m (9'2" x 9'0").

Do you have any recommendations on what would be good in this situation?

7. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    A small sub sat system would be better for a room this size

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    Room - remember the correct speaker layout/positioning will always be crucial if you do want a proper immersive sound stage.

Speakers - they don't get much coverage these days but hard to look past the Anthony Gallo Micros if you have the budget.

http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/pages/products-speakers-micro.php

Joe

9. arj7

arj7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds interesting, I might have to check it out. I do like the idea of the smaller room having discreet speakers like that.