Dedicated sound card VS. On-board audio using Toslink

lilomarine

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding high fidelity audio.

My current setup is SVS Prime Bookshelfs, SVS PB-1000 Sub & Onkyo A-9050 Integrated DAC/AMP

When i got all these components last week I hooked up the Onkyo AMP via Toslink to my onboard Motherboard audio output. The audio circuitry in this Motherboard is pretty decent. (motherboard: ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO | Motherboards | ASUS USA)

The sound that is reproduced through the speakers is very clear and very accurate, although the highs/tweeters are a bit harsh. My initial thought was that I could go purchase a sound card (sound card: Essence STX II | Sound Cards | ASUS USA) to be able to tune levels to my liking.

So, I went off to my local electronics store and bought the Asus Essence STX II, thinking I would noticeably tell the difference between on-board mobo audio VS. a dedicated quality HI-FI sound card.

When it really comes down to it, i cannot tell them apart. They sound exactly alike. Also, the equalizer is locked when output mode is set to Optical out.

Was I wrong in assuming that using Toslink, I was going to be able to tell a difference in audio quality?

Or, do I have to be using the Analog output to be able to tell a difference?

Looking forward to your replies,

Thank you

The toslink digital connection means that you are passing a digital signal through to the amp which then does the decoding. Assuming neither of the sound cards mess with the signal then they should be identical.

Almost all of the fancy features on that card are to do with digital to audio conversion. The clock may be more accurate and jitter is mentioned but that's probably in relation to the dacs too....Though it could be more accurate for the digital output?

Some people claim miracles for cables, most find digital is digital is digital

If you’re running a digital signal into your Onkyo then it is only going to be the Onkyo that will have the final say on the sound output.

The other option as you mention is to run a digital signal into a different DAC and connect that to the Onkyo using the analogue connection.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom