Dedicated room questions ...... (ceilings, finishes, acoustic treatments).

Harkon321

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Sorry, the photo's are not great, but they did look, err, 'sharp' if you know what I mean. Nice clean edges.
Where did you get the idea of hanging Tecsound at the back of the panels, and is there any tecnical evidence to show what that does?

PaulDavidThomas

Where did you get the idea of hanging Tecsound at the back of the panels, and is there any tecnical evidence to show what that does?
Absolutely no technical evidence other than it seems to make sense and 'should' work. Keep in mind I work in a very hands on construction environment where we just have to solve problems with what we have or can get hold of. A lot of times we do things that have not been done before or are not a traditional solution, but does actually solve the identified problem. I've never followed the pack in life.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Keep in mind I work in a very hands on construction environment where we just have to solve problems with what we have or can get hold of. A lot of times we do things that have not been done before or are not a traditional solution, but does actually solve the identified problem. I've never followed the pack in life.
Yeah that's all cool.

Absolutely no technical evidence other than it seems to make sense and 'should' work.
What do you think it should do to help?

PaulDavidThomas

When I used them, they just seemed to make the room less 'lively' seemed to take some of the boom out of the rooms I used them in. Of course my rooms were offices with no treatments in them at all. The square foam things on you see using a lot also work. Best example is just clapping in the room with / without them. Sounds less 'shrill'. However with REW youd get a more scientific result. I just used my ears.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
When I used them, they just seemed to make the room less 'lively' seemed to take some of the boom out of the rooms I used them in.
The 50mm of Rockwool held 50mm away from the wall will do that. I'm not at all suggesting that the Tecsound doesn't do anything, I'm just wondering what the idea behind it is. I guess the plan is that sound hits the Tecsound, and loses energy when moving it. What frequency that would apply to I don't know. The concern would be any sound hitting it and simply reflecting back. If that were to happen at any frequencies, it wouldn't ruin everything, it would just make the panel work as if it was built a bit shallower.

PaulDavidThomas

The 50mm of Rockwool held 50mm away from the wall will do that. I'm not at all suggesting that the Tecsound doesn't do anything, I'm just wondering what the idea behind it is. I guess the plan is that sound hits the Tecsound, and loses energy when moving it. What frequency that would apply to I don't know. The concern would be any sound hitting it and simply reflecting back. If that were to happen at any frequencies, it wouldn't ruin everything, it would just make the panel work as if it was built a bit shallower.
The main thing I did have with that tecsound was that it was limp. It was held within the structures I made only at the top. It was not held at the side or at the bottom - it hung loose. It was NOT touching the rockwool either. The concept then is the low freq partially transfers through, bounces off the wall behind and then back through it again.

Oddly enough i have just been watching this and it is crazy useful :-

Whilst US based is still relevant to the UK and relates in a scientific way to do with wall construction and sound proofing. The decoupling is very interesting effect on the reduction of sound transfer ( "Expert Audio Series - Acoustics 101" ).

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
The main thing I did have with that tecsound was that it was limp. It was held within the structures I made only at the top. It was not held at the side or at the bottom - it hung loose. It was NOT touching the rockwool either. The concept then is the low freq partially transfers through, bounces off the wall behind and then back through it again.
Yeah I understand. Would be nice to know whether or not the Tescsound works as intended.

Oddly enough i have just been watching this and it is crazy useful :-

I've already watched all of them. I think Grimani is excellent at explaining so many home theater subjects. The only area where I'm not so sure about is that he's wedded to the US market and their use of Atmos, and I'm not convinced Atmos is the best format in the home.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
When I was going through this period of deciding how to treat my room, I came across Limp Mass Bass Traps - which basically work as Paul has described. There was a whole bunch of ‘scientific research’ done, which I’m sure could be dug up again if one were keen enough.

The people that were doing this stuff though were ‘tuning’ their designs by creating specific depths of bass trap, with limp mass on both The front and back sides of said traps. The limp mass would be held on all edges, but not pulled tight, or they’d create a drum.

It was interesting stuff, but my takeaway was that any limp mass, such as Tecsound, would help with taming sound energy within a room, the trick is to leave it ‘limp’, so that when it’s natural resonant frequency is excited it doesn’t actually create sound, it just dissipates that energy into heat.

I’ll be honest, it all got a bit technical for me, and I ended up just taking the ‘easy’ path of absorption everywhere!

Just Google ‘Limp Mass Bass Traps’ and you’ll see what a rabbit hole it all is! Have fun! :D

PaulDavidThomas

As you're a JBL guy, thought you might be interested in my strip down of the JBL 8350 & 8340a's.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom