Dedicated room is underway !

sTTu

After waiting years for the right house with the right room, we now have the space for a dedicated cinema room. Firstly a big thank you to this forum as I've learned loads over the last few years and months.

The room is on the lower ground floor of the house, its approx 21ft x 16ft and has no windows, so its truely black, black, black !

Plan is to have a 2.5m fixed screen, six seats, all hardware racked up and the PJ set up behind a false bulkhead wall which runs the width of the room and also houses some other electrics & plumbing etc.

Heres the first pic to show just how dark this room is :thumbsup:

So far I've got the kit on order, and a few bits have arrived already. The electricians been in, just waiting for my mate to do some woodwork, got a plasterer and decorator on standby too.

Will post more as it happens.

Cheers !

Stu

Attachments

lockdown81

Novice Member
u must ave the same camera as me :laugh: thats how my good pictures come out ,, well i cant wait for this one :smashin: ,, is there not even a door down there ?

sTTu

u must ave the same camera as me :laugh: thats how my good pictures come out ,, well i cant wait for this one :smashin: ,, is there not even a door down there ?
LOL ! When the door is shut, we are talking zero light.

Here's a couple of pics with the lights being fitted. 6 zone lutron is going to control these.

Attachments

sTTu

ah thats better lol ,, thats gona look well smart mate ,,
The cupboards are going, they will be boarded over and a blue LED stip running below the coving will add some colour at the back as the back and front walls will be painted black !

Just got this Harmony today, not sure how good it will be but will give it a go !

Attachments

GinG007

Standard Member
Looking good...just out of interest on that harmony remote, can you change sky channels with it?

Cheers

sTTu

Looking good...just out of interest on that harmony remote, can you change sky channels with it?

Cheers
I've only had a about a half hour to play with the remote and the Sky switching seems iffy, but thats probably just me. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

Plan today is to build the AV rack and rip out the cupboards at the back ready for the guys later in the week to come in and board the wall.

Although just unpacked the rack and no bolts !!!! Grrrrrrhh ! First stop B&Q !

phil5366

Banned
The Harmony can control all your AV equipment as well as Sky Hd, etc. Have a look through my thread, click on the link below to get a full explanation of what you can achieve with Harmony.

Good luck with the build and don't forget to take loads of pics.

Phil.

sTTu

I spent a good three hours building this rack yesterday. Reminded me of why I hated Meccano as a kid !

The rack is a 33U standard 600x500 AV rack, I got a power strip with 6 sockets, enough for now. I also got a few 1U cable management bars for the front and back.

The Netgear gigabit switch will provide connectivity to all the hardware, the room is fed from the Lexcom network thats already in the house.

The rack will be pushed back into the rear of the room where the false wall is going to be built. I have left about 2-3 meters of extra cable on every speaker cable so that the rack can be wheeled out easily if I need to add or remove more stuff.

I'm getting some smoked glass doors cut to give access behind the false wall so when the rack is sat behind one of these it should look quite sexy (well,.. as sexy as a rack can look!!), a few blue LED's will hopefully make it look nice too.

I've never done anything like this so I'm pretty much making it up as I go along, therefore any ideas would be valued.

Thanks

Stu

Attachments

sTTu

Rack looks brilliant mate, care to share where you got it?

Thanks!
Sure, I got it from Mills Limited. I was going to put in a comms/server cabinet but these racks are better as they dont need cooling and are easy to mod and move, full on server style cabinets are damn heavy.

Their prices are pretty good, I got the two 4U high perforated blanking plates that are at the top and bottom off of Ebay, they were about £6 each. I just thought they finished it off. I'll add in some more blanking plates if I get gaps left when all the gear is in.

Hope this helps :smashin:

Stu

Steve413

Distinguished Member
You will have a great cinema room when completed sTTu.

Do keep the images coming.

Nice one..........

alpha10

LOL ! When the door is shut, we are talking zero light.

Here's a couple of pics with the lights being fitted. 6 zone lutron is going to control these.
I love those lights, I think it is something that people with dedicated room neglect sometimes, you can go to town and really make a difference.

Keep the photos coming :smashin:

sTTu

Well, after a couple of weeks of being busy doing other stuff, work in the movie room continues.

I've just added a couple of pics showing what we've been upto.

The plinth frame for the sofa is coming on and the cupboard doors at the back of the room have been taken off, hinges removed and then fixed back to give the false wall a bit of density. To keep it simple we're then over boarding with plasterboard to help deaden the room down. We've got to cut in some doors (no exactly sure where these will be yet). The hole for the PJ has been cut although until that arrives we're not sure if its in the right pl:facepalm:ace

You can also see the space behind the false wall, this gives access to the back of the rack and the PJ when its in.

I'm hoping this work will be done by the end of the weekend so that the decorator can come in, the carpet is ready to go down and my kit is ready to be delivered (apart from the PJ! No news on that yet).

Attachments

Last edited:

sTTu

I was hoping that the last bits of plasterboarding and making good were going to get done today but last night got the better of us all :devil: so erhhm, tomorrow maybe !

Decided last night to put in wine/beer cooler, just to save the hike upstairs when in need of a cool one :thumbsup:e We can fit this into the false wall so its flush and the Samsung RW33EBSS is ideal as it got a nice smoked glass door with brushed stainless steel trim and has some sexy blue lighting inside too. We've got one in the kitchen and its as good as silent so will be ordering this tomorrow.

I'm hoping that the hardward can be delivered and installed before Christmas but time is getting tight.

Here is my chosen set up

1 pair B&W CM9
1 x B&W CM Centre 2 speaker
1 pair B&W DS3 wall mounted dipole rear speakers
1 x B&W PV1 subwoofer
Pioneer SC-LX83
Pioneer BDP-LX54 3D Ready BluRay Player
JVC DLA-X3 Projector

The CM9's blew me away, I really liked them and OMG ! do they look fab or what !!

Will post some more pics as the work in the room moves forward.

Cheers !

Stu

Attachments

beecee

coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing the finished room :smashin:

RobM

Distinguished Member
Looking really good! I'd be tempted to add some weight to the bottom of the AV rack though, for stabilisation and to reduce any unwanted vibrations and other nasties.

If only I had that sort of space to create a man cave in :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

Anthem launches latest AV receivers, processors and amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim and Focal discount premium music systems
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton