1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated room - finished!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by -Spike-, Jun 24, 2002.

1. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi all,

Well after 7 months in the making my dedicated HC room is finally finished.
    Big thanks to all on this forum for help, particularly with wall colours - especially using black paint for the screen wall.

Just got to work out how to get some pictures up now..

Cheers

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Pic 1...?

Attached Files:

3. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Pic 2..?

Took me a while to work these out!!

Pictures aren't particularly good, only had the camera a week, but at least it gives you some idea.

Attached Files:

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Steve,

I saw your first picture and my immediate thought was "that's a strange shaped screen." Then I noticed which way the chairs were facing...

The (real!) screen does look good against the black wall, doesn't it.

It's a fine job.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

5. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Steve,

Room looks excellent. Builders are busily hammering away at my room as I type. I hope to be in a similar position to you in 3 weeks time. By the way is that an HT300 perched on your ceiling, and if it is what is it attatched to ?. I've gone for the HT300, but my ceiling bracket looks nothing like this. What screen are you using ? and in retrospect is there anything you would do differently, or do you have any tips which might smooth the way for me.

Cheers
    Andy

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Are those seats really comfotable? I find I need a leg/foot rest if sitting in cinema seating for a prolonged amount of time.

Nice room mind.:)

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi guys,

Cheers for the kind words, really appreciate it.

And apologies for what is going to be a long and probably rather boring post

Bert: showed the picture to a few "mates" at work, all I got was "screens' a bit small" - wish I'd taken a shot of just the seats now;)

ReTrO:yeah, the seats are pretty comfortable, next on the want list are some footrests though. Saving up!

docsmith2k1-or should that be eagle-eyed Andy;)
    Yep it's an HT300, been up and running for about two weeks now.

The bracket is the official Sim2 ceiling/floor bracket. I'm quite friendly with my local Sevenoaks (well I have spent a small fortune there) they had one second hand which was handy. It's adjustable in as much as up and down, angled up and down and you can have the pj either way up.

The screen is an electric (velvet casing) Owl 7ft 16:9 mattvision white, 1.3 gain affair.

The only major tip I can give you (I'm an amateur at all of this) is related to the only negative comment I can make about the HT300.
    Fan noise, or rather the whistling the wheel makes to be more precise.
    Now if you look at my first picture the pj is right above the seating position, originally I had the HT300 up the other way, just preferred it like that. Well that was until I started watching some films.
    The noise is quite noticeable on quiet films e.g watched The Others and at times I found the "hum" quite intrusive. It's ok on noisier films and I do believe that you do get used to it, but I had to turn it up the other way - wanted things right - there is also a small amount of light leakage but I didn't find this too much of a problem, in fact it gave some light by which to hold your pint by!

Just made an attempt at a screenshot and am hoping to give a (smaller) "review" in the DLP section soon

Hope that some of this waffle has been of some help
    Anything else you need to know, I'd try and find someone who knows what they're talking about

:rolleyes:

All the best