Dedicated Room Diary

Bassbin

Established Member
We had our house extended in 2005 and part of the new lounge was earmarked for a cinema room. After a year of refitting and decorating the rest of the property I'm now ready to start on the cinema. The wall with the door is a partition that I built about a year ago and since then the room has been used for storage whilst the rest of the house was finished off.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Bassbin

Established Member
The room is 2.9m wide by 4.5m long.

I've cut some holes for feeding cables and also worked out the mounting point (ie where the joist is) for the projector.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Blump

Established Member
The magic of a lick of paint and a floor is all it needs... plus some av gear :)

looks good, good shape for a home cinema, what sound setup are you going for?

Bassbin

Established Member
Got some painting done just primer on the skirting and a base coat on the walls/ceiling to seal in the plaster. The walls/ceiling will be a 50/50 mix of Ice Storm 1 and 2 matt and the skirting will be a slightly lighter grey Satin.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I've got a fair bit of kit to try out on the audio side of but the overall kit list with options looks like this:

Denon K-AVC-A1SE or Yamaha A2
Denon DVD2900 or a Sony DVP930
M&K CS22 Column Surrounds
Pioneer CLD2950 Laserdisc
Sony Freeview
Sony VCR
Behringer Feedback Destroyer
Sanyo Z1
Draper Luma 106" 16:9
Kiss Coolview Monitor
Dell Dimension 3000 PC
Mark Grant Component and S-Video Cables
VDC Speaker Cables

Sub will be either a BK XLS200 or a Sony SA-WX900

Front 3 speakers will be either Paradigm, Tannoy, Quad L series, Quad Lites or Sony

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Looking superb, I will follow this one closely as it is a very similar size to my HC room being built late 2007.

Keep the pics coming fella:thumbsup:

Bassbin

Established Member
Not much to report today spent most of it filling, sanding and priming. Walls and skirting are ready for painting proper and the door has had a first coat of primer.

As the door is in the front half of the room I want to give it a low profile look. Firstly I've fitted a trim around the door frame that only stands 4mm proud of the wall.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Tomorrow I'll pop out to get a sheet of 6mm ply wood that will cover the cinema side of the door. I'll then paint it the same colour as the wall and add a piece of skirting to the bottom. I already have matt black hinges and a handle so hopefully the door will just look like a section of wall when the lights are down.

Bassbin

Established Member
I've now finsihed painting the walls and ceiling and just have a top coat to put on the skirting. The Ice Storm 1/2 mix looks a little darker in real life (the camera flash washes it out a little) With the lights down low it looks black and you can't see the corners of the room.

Bassbin

Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

Starting to get excited now as the paining is finsished and the screen is up. It's a Draper Luma 106" 16:9. I would have liked a slightly smaller one (maybe a 92") but I already owned this one I decided to try it. I think I may upgrade to a fixed screen when the projector gets upgraded in a year or two.

Hoping to make some more progress this afternoon.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Looks great, love the colour of the room :)

What colour carpet are you going for? And are you planning any acoustic treatments in the room?

Bassbin

Established Member
Thanks. We weren't sure about the colour before we started but decided it would help give us the best picture quality and it would be easy to change later on. Now it's done we really like it.

The carpet will be dark grey jumbo cord (£2.99 stuff from Carpetright). Again, the thinking is we can change it later on if we need better quality or a different colour.

As for acoustic treatments, I've got a couple of bass traps to play with and I'm considering getting some panels to on the side walls in the front half of the room. I'll wait until I've tried some of the speakers out and then start experimenting.

Bassbin

Established Member
Got a bit more done gripper rods are down so the underlay should go down tomorrow and maybe the carpet.

White sockets all replaced with nice black ones

Dimmers and light switch are staying silver (if they were in black they'd be too difficult to see as they are on the back wall).

Projector mount is up

My disguised door is painted and ready to rehang afer the carpet goes in it just needs a piece of skirting sticking on and hopefully it will be almost fully hidden.

Hoping to have the projector and a basic AV system in before the weekend ready for some movie watching.

Miniholic

Prominent Member
Wow, this is coming together quickly, looks like you'll have a great room there when you're done. :thumbsup:

I was tempted to go down the Icestorm route for the walls, but bottled it and went for the highly original suede look instead.:D

When do you plan to be finished for?

Bassbin

Established Member
If the carpet fitting is painless I should have be able to get my seats, projector, amp, dvd and speakers all up and running on Thursday. Then it'll be a case of testing the kit and working out the layout for cabinets but I'll take my time over that.

Bassbin

Established Member
The underlay and carpet are down but the carpet has only been roughly cut to size. I've left it to settle overnight as it had some creases from when it was folded. Should be ok to do the final fit tonight and then the door can go on and I'll move some kit it.

Bassbin

Established Member
The cinema is now up and running:clap:

There's still cabinets to do and cables to tidy but that can wait until the final kit list is sorted.

The door concealment works really well. This shot is with the lights on but during viewing you don't even notice it.

The projector is a Sanyo Z1 which I'm going to try and resist upgrading for another year or two.

The seats are Daneway recliners with pullout footrests and are very comfy.

I wasn't keen on wall mounted rear speakers as I wanted to get the longest viewing distance possible and that means the headrests of the chairs are about 8" from the back wall when reclined. In the end although the M&K column surrounds are expensive they fit in perfectly and sound better than any other rear speakers I've heard.

If I get a chance in the next few days I'll try and do some screen shots.

Miniholic

Prominent Member
Looks great. Now you can just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour.:thumbsup:

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Hey Bassbin

i have just noticed you are from Leicester:clap:

I am looking forward to my personal invite to the grand opening:D

Seriously though, where abouts are you? If you do not want to post on here just PM me.

The room is looking absolutely superb, a very professional Job.

Whats ya first film Fella:smashin:

inzaman

Looks awesome, congratulations on its completion :)

Bassbin

Established Member
Thanks for all the comments guys. I have to say that without the things I've learned by reading about other installs on here it would have been nowhere near as good.

Bassbin

Established Member
Hey Bassbin

i have just noticed you are from Leicester:clap:

I am looking forward to my personal invite to the grand opening:D

Seriously though, where abouts are you? If you do not want to post on here just PM me.

The room is looking absolutely superb, a very professional Job.

Whats ya first film Fella:smashin:

You'll be lucky:D I've already promised screenings to a very long string of friends and family.

First films up were King Long and Fantastic 4 which were both great fun.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
You'll be lucky:D I've already promised screenings to a very long string of friends and family.

First films up were King Long and Fantastic 4 which were both great fun.

:D I have put it in my diary for December:smashin:

Why not go for a Lord Of The rings weekender that will show them a great HC experience:thumbsup:

Bassbin

Established Member
We've really been enjoying the cinema room for the last couple of weeks. I've now got a PC set up in there and a freeview box along with the DVD amp and speakers. The Z1 continues to astound me in its new setting (I thought I would be desperate to get a new projector) the dark colour walls/ceiling and the total light control make a huge difference.

Still have a couple of subs to choose between and once that's decided I'll have a think about rest of the kit (laserdisc, cd, vhs, dvdr etc..) and the cabinets and cable management.

The latest video from AVForums

Amazon Fire TV Cube Gen 3 Review: Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom