• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dedicated room at last

rigman

Here are a few pictures of the updated room.

I will leave the pictures of my old room in the second post. I should have really started a new thread for the update instead of using this one but too late now. The updates starts on page 7 post 182

DSCF0275_zps428be546.jpg

DSCF0283_zpsd2cd4b29.jpg

DSCF0277_zps208e7941.jpg

DSCF0279_zpsa61e455c.jpg

DSCF0274_zps6d71ea2f.jpg

This last one is for Wull
DSCF0285_zps6a52ccb1.jpg

New JBL S4AI rear speakers to replace the M&K's.

DSC01821_zpso3uoxpmv.jpg

DSC01816_zpsg2n0ykid.jpg

Last edited:

Sitticus

Standard Member
One amazing setup. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Medrep1

Superb room, and what a sub!!!:eek:

Are those pillar style features on the walls for acoustic purposes. If so, how did you come across such a design and know where to place them?

If they arent i'll shut up:rolleyes:

rigman

thats amazing and i just spent over an hour and a half reading this thread you posted

...must...create...ReedZone...Theater...thread - AVS Forum

what is the sub sitting on also please?

It is a couple of Auralex Grammas which decouple the sub from the floor.. They were all the rage on here a few years ago.

If you want to see a nicer room do a search on avs for sandmanx.
His build is stunning but the thread is that long be prepared to lose a day reading it

Last edited by a moderator:

rigman

Superb room, and what a sub!!!:eek:

Are those pillar style features on the walls for acoustic purposes. If so, how did you come across such a design and know where to place them?

If they arent i'll shut up:rolleyes:

They have 2 functions. The two on the back wall hold the rear speakers which are M&K S-85's

The two rear side columns hold the side speakers which are M&K SS-150s. I wanted them out of sight.

The other function of all the columns are as base traps. They are filled with 60kg density Rockwool.

I wanted to get clean base hence I tried to treat the room as much as possible. The cloth at the sides is covering 25mm Rockwool slabs to absorb the higher frequencies.

The columns were a pain to be honest and I went through a few plans and attempts at trying to get them right. I got the basic design from the thread that lampshader mentions

In the future I may look at putting up a star ceiling but I need to work out how many fibre optic cables I need.

Just like to say to everyone thanks for all the comments I really appreciate your feedback. :thumbsup:

cheers
Darren

Last edited by a moderator:

jayden28

Thats what i call a professional set up,ACE!!:thumbsup:.

- johnyc -

nice one mate, your ceiling looks like mine :thumbsup:

sonysean

:eek: Wow very nice! :D
Love how you've done all the room lighting aswell makes a massive difference, bet it feels like an actual mini version of a cinema?

X monkfish69 X

That is a fantastic looking room. Looks like you have made tons of effort to nail it just right, and it certainly looks as close to a home cinema as you can get.

Top work :thumbsup:

rcaudwell

Great room, you`ve really captured that "cinema" feel, looks like a more luxurious version of the old ABC cinema I used to go to (without all the annoying kids, mobiles, rustling sweet packets and people going for a "comfort break" every 5 mins :) )

rigman

Thanks for all your comments

I did try and recreate the cinema feel. I planned it for months to be honest while waiting for the permissions for the extension to be built.

The main thing was to get it dark to stop the picture being washed out.
I paid a lot of money for a projecter that has an excellent contrast ratio and so I was determined to make the best of it.
Fortunately my wife totally agrees with that philosophy so I had free rein to do and spend whatever it took to get it right.

I have seen lots on here and avs with white ceilings and light coloured walls and while they look really really nice it the end of the day it degrades the picture quality. I can understand why people do have rooms like that as a lot of rooms are multi purpose and you would not want to sit somewhere with no natural light if it was your main room. Fortunately I do have another good size room for general use and watching the news and eastenders :rolleyes:

However I still do get annoying kids and rustling crisp packets when it is a family viewing occasion :)

cheers
Darren

rigman

Thanks isayisay

had a Kill BIll double last night and even though it was DVD it still looked very good and sounded awesome. :)

Trying to battle my way through the Stargate SG1 series as well. 10 seasons. I have never seen it before and enjoying it very much.

The only thing I am not too happy about is my Harmony 1000 remote as it is very clunky in use. I am still trying to get it set up right.

gfunk2k

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….sorry about that, just had to pick up my jaw off the floor.
That is one stunning setup you have there and this is something im looking to do once we have moved to a bigger house in a couple of years.
Really impressed and keep up the good work ;)

mudstuff

Really nice! Very professional looking, good idea with the bass traps. Some very good looking kit too. What pj are you using.

I LOL'd at the crisp packets! Once I am able to create a dedicated HC room, kids won't be allowed! Harsh but fair I think :)

rigman

The projector is a JVC 750. You can see more images of that and the lens in the build thread in my signature.

thanks for the comments guys. Nice to have fellow enthusiasts who appreciate it. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom