1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated Power Supply

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Dellboy, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I am about to install a new dedicated mains power supply for my AV system.

This is from the main consumer unit to my AV room. I have been told to use armoured cable for the ring main and MK sso's.

Does anybody have any advice or comments which would be helpful?

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've heard someone on here talking about it and I think they used 10mm T+E (cooker cable) or maybe 6mm.

I think it's a great idea, especially if you are likely to have fridges and microwaves etc. on the hifi ring.

Not sure on sockets, have heard M+K mentioned.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    MK(not M&K) sockets are excellent quality and pretty cheap,especially the unswitched variety.

As for cabling etc,there are clear specs on the outer sheathing of cables,and there's an excellent series of articles in HiFiNews on mains quality and DIY cable solutions from Ben Duncan(also available from http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/) which may be useful.

A lot has been written and said about products like Kimber and Transparent mains cables,but they are extremely expensive when used for a ring main or even spur installation,so in most cases a good quality mains cable such as you've suggested,with a separate consumer unit,and good quality mains sockets will produce a very significant benefit,and obviously more so if your original mains quality is poor.

4. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    As stereo steve has mentioned, my main concern is to prevent any interference from other appliances.

From what I have read having a dedicated supply can improve sound quality and safe guard your equipment from those nasty spikes created by other users of the ring main.

I'm trying to colate any information to pass onto a qualified eletrician.

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If I had more money or I could start again, I would concentrate more on the mains. In addition to your plans I would also consider one of the power supply conditioners from IsoTek, Ben Duncan etc. These can really help your system perform better.