Dedicated Home Cinema Room Frankenstein Sep up - Need help

Alexxxx

Hi,

I am in the process of building a dedicated cinema room in my garage and need some advice regarding my speaker selection, potential upgrades etc.

I am planning on building an atmos system 7.1.2, potentially 7.2.2/7.1.4/7.2.4. Planning potentially to upgrade my current Apex speakers to XTZ. I have had my Apex speakers for 6 years and was pretty happy with it and I think it might be time to upgrade to XTZs which have a great reputation as being best for buck cinema speakers.

Room info:
The room is approximately 3mx4.5m with 2.7m tall ceiling.
Carpet floor and few items of soft furniture.
I have nearly 100x acoustic foam squares 300mmx300m which i will be placing in strategic locations.

Here is what I currently have:
- Marantz SR7010 AV receiver;
- 4x Monitor Audio Apex A10;
- 1x Monitor Audio Apex A40;
- 2x Rega RS5 Floorstanders;
- 2x Monitor Audio Radius 45;
- 4x M&K Sound K7 Speakers;
- 1x SVS SB-12 Plus Subwoofer.

Currently I am thinking of haveing 2 xA10s and A40 at the front, 2x A10 L/R surrounds, 2x M&K K7 rear surrounds, 2x Radius 45 as Atmos (above seating area).

I was thinking of selling everything and upgrading to XTZ set-up, but their Cinema M8 & M6 speakers are out of my reach. Potentially changing everything to their Spirit series speakers and 12.17 sub.

So after some comments I am thinking my ooptions are as follows:
1. Getting another 2x A10s for rear surrounds
2. Replacing the entire Apex series with midrange bookshelf speakers ( Monitor audio silver, Kef Q series etc.)
3. Get 5x Monitor Audio Studio speakers to replace the Apex (I quite the look of them + I owned the gold series speakers before)
4. Sell my liver and kidneys and get Arendal 1723 S or XTZ M6s..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

UMAR 3:16

I would buy the cinema series from here used. I think that would be the better buy

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you cannot stretch to the M&K's as a complete surround sound solution (unless you are looking long term to replace the entire speaker setup with M&K over time) then you will be better keeping the speakers from the same family.

As for Atmos, one speaker that isn't right for Atmos is the R45 as it uses the tweeter to reflex the sound into the room as it is rearward facing whereas with Atmos, you require the sound from the speaker to be a little more focused. I feel at that point, even the MASS Gen II would be a better bet that the R45's.

Alexxxx

Thanks everyone for your input.

Just for clarification, when I said atmos speakers, I meant overhead ceiling mounted speakers, sorry for confusion.

Would you consider XTZ spirit series speakers as upgrade from Apex?

Are old M&K K7 speakers worth using at all??

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
M&K are the honest speakers and are used in the real cinema design rooms, so to answer that questions, you only have to look at where they're installed and who endorse them as it speaks volumes (Starwars). Even Dolby use them plus a few others

I still feel the R45's are one of the few speakers which are completely wrong for Atmos speakers (they'll work more like an FX speaker) when used in the configuration you mentioned. As for XTZ's, I never comment on a product that I've never heard off, I know they have a great following on here which should give you confidence, although M&K has a bigger following

Alexxxx

Also, would anyone recommend a good pair of speakers I can mount on the ceiling (not into the ceiling) to use as overheads to match the system?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
It seems people are starting to us Kef T-101 speakers. You can purchase them as a pair and are very slim speakers enabling many to simply attach them

Alexxxx

Interesting...
What about Monitor Audio Studios As LCR and surrounds?
I'm just trying to find middle ground between my Apex speakers and XTZ/Arendal, which won't cost me an arms and a leg

gpt

Just as I'm reading your thread and came across it - I'm selling my Q series speakers to look for something smaller. £700 for the Q900, Q600 and Q300's if you haven't seen the ad :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexxxx

More and more acccustomed to the idea of getting MA Studios as LCR and surrounds, can get 5 of them for under £1500. I used to have MA gold GX100 and loved the sound of ribbon tweeters.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom