dedicated hifi/AV mains supply - Advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by darron027, Sep 13, 2007.

1. darron027

darron027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all.

Looking to put a simple (yet hopefully effective) dedicated mains supply to my hifi/AV 2 gang (non-switched) wall socket. If poss wish to use my current house consumer unit (wylex brand) to supply (as has 2 spare MCB points.
    Obviously safety is paramount in all this.

Im wishing to do this the simplest (i.e least mess and expense) way possible.

Heres my idea so far:

1. Connect a new MCB (not sure what rating to use right now, I note that all general plug socket MCB's are 32A, however Ive read that 10A would be better for hifi/AV dedicated socket??)

2. Connect 3-core flex (shieled if poss) direct from consumer unit to hifi wall socket. Will rig up a ring main rather than a spur.

3. Improve the earth. Any advise on how best to acheive this guys, please fire away with advice. E.g. Ive seen such things as earth spikes etc, that suggest that you simply connect a second earth to the hifi wall socket and run this directly outside to an earth spike.

Many thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

2. ash005

ash005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i am also interested in this and have run a new ring main for my set up

i have a question or two

are unswitched sockets the best solution?

is there a mains conditioner that is installed in the supply wiring before the plugs

i have found this info on the net maybe it will help you - some of it is a bit technical for me

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/decdun/powersupplies.html

ash .

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Do a bit more reading then. I assume that you are in the UK?

Use the correct rated MCB for the CABLE that you are running - not that you should be running a new circuit from your CU yourself anyway, even in your own home, unless you are planning on having it approved by the local authority - which will involve a visit whilst the work is being done, and one after it has been completed, and cost a bit - probably cheaper to get a sparky in TBH.

It will have to be ARMOURED, not shielded - the armoured cable will have the added benefit of shielding from RFI very well though - and will prevent it from being an illegal DIY bodge (using flex for a fixed installation from CU)

You may want to contact your electricity company and / or your home insurance before you change the nature of the earthing for your installation (ie. from single to multi-point) and do any work of this nature yourself TBH.

Not to be a spoilsport or anything (some of the above may be slightly excessive)