Dedicated DVD player v Xbox Playing DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barnetto, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm currently using an Xbox to play DVDs - not having had a dedicated DVD player I am not sure where on the scale of quality the Xbox might fall in terms of playing DVDs. Output options are limited to scart RGB (unless you mod the box to get HiDef, which I don't) but it does Dolby 5.1. And I assume that the quality of the Xbox DVD drive, reader etc is much better than a lot of budget dedicated DVDs?

So the question is what do I need to spend to see a noticeable upgrade in PQ etc? For example, will the Pioneer 575 offer a big improvement in viewing for £100? (If so, will it only be because of the use of component with progscan?) Or do I need to spend more than that.

I have a Sharp 26GA3 LCD TV.

Thanks in advance.

2. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Ive got a Sharp 26GA3 like you, and Ive got an Xbox (HDTV modified) and a Pioneer 575.

I can say that the Pioneer picture quality on our monitor is superb via Component (I bought a £80 component cable from Richer Sounds).. But I have an issue because I can only connect either the Xbox or the Pioneer to the Component In at one time.. Im having to swap the cables around when I want to use either.

So what Im planning to do is buy a Samsung HD745 (does all that the 575 does plus it plugs into the DVI) and use that and keep the Xbox plugged in via component..

This comes down to my suggestion to you. if youre thinking about getting a Pioneer, then dont.. as to get the best quality that you deserve ;) you will need to shell out for a good quality component cable.. that puts your expenditure up to £180. If I was you Id get the Samsung.

(Id highly recommend modifying your Xbox to output in Hi Def - theres a big thread about it in the gaming forum - it really does make a difference and this along with the Samsung would really use your screen for what it was really built for... imagine Halo 2 in 720p on your Sharp!!)

3. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I have indeed been seriously thinking of either the Denon 1910 or the Samsung 745 as a DVD player for the DVI out. However, I've sort of convinced myself from copious reading on this forum that it isn't actually necessarily the best thing to do :confused: - unless I want to use the component inputs for the Xbox (as you do). The suggestion seems to be that the increase in quality (at least on a 26") between component and DVI is pretty small and the current "crop" of DVI players within my price range seem to potentially suffer from macroblocking and other problems (such as inability to show 4:3 DVDs full screen). I was sort of getting the impression that I might need to wait for the next generation of DVI DVD players to sort these issues out first ideally.

Just to be clear, do you notice a jump up in DVD quality when comparing playing a DVD on your Pioneer 575 compared to playing it on the Xbox. I assume that the answer must be yes cos otherwise why would you bother having both!

PS :offtopic: If you softmodded your xbox, could you email me off-forum with details how. I have looked at those threads, been to various websites and I'm really not that much wiser! It seems to me that I need a home computer too to do the softmod, something that I sadly do not possess. :lease:

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,956
    Sadly Halo2 only outputs in 480p but even 480p is much better than RGB Scart.

If you have got an LCD screen then a DVD player that outputs a Digital signal (DVI or HDMI) sould give the best picture but a decent player with DVI/HDMI output will cost a fair bit more. You also don't need to spend a load on component leads for them to be good (especially if the leads are fairly short - i.e. 3m or so). I've compared some really expensive leads with some standard ones and there was no noticable difference during short distance connections.

I use my X-Box as a DVD player in my games/home cinema room on my PJ and it does a sterling job. I have it conected via the M$ Hi Def Pack (which can only be bought on import from places like Lik Sang). :thumbsup: