1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dedicated DTS ES/ DD EX decoder

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by asavage97, Jan 10, 2003.

1. asavage97

asavage97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does such a thing exist as I have a dream of using serios amps (like 4 sony TAN1's) to achive major sound.

edit:sorry I'm a noob I should have warned you.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Depends how much you want to spend. Rotel have a stand alone processor as do TAG, Meridian, Lexicon, but your talking about a grand for the Rotel and two grand plus for the TAG. Moving up to three grand plus for the Meridian and way more for the Lexicon.

Another alternative would be to use an AV Receiver/Amp for the processing only such as a Denon 3802/3803, A11SR etc or something from another brand like Marantz etc

3. asavage97

asavage97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by the time I save up enough money for speakers and amps everybody will have abandoned speakers and they're brains waves will recieve sound and video directly (yes I'm a poor student)

edit thanks for the info and have you got any links to TAGs offering.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
  5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    At the cheaper end of the market you've got Cyrus, Rotel and Roksan Caspian. A little higher will get you to Myryad, Primare and the Tag McLaren AV30R. Then there's the Naim AV2 and Linn 5105. Then you're into Tag McLaren AV32R, Arcam AV8, Meridian 568.2, Bryston SP1.7, then up to the likes of Krell, Proceed, Lexicon and Theta.

I'm told the Cyrus AV8 at about £1100 is very good value.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Quite honestly,I wouldn't waste my money buying even one,let alone 4 Sony TAN-1s.....you'll certainly achieve a major loss of money,but not(IMHO)major sound.
    These things are seriously overpriced,and for the sort of outlay you project for them,you'd be much better off buying Krell or Bryston,both of which(and especially the Krells)will beat them on any variable you care to mention. :cool:

7. asavage97

asavage97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as I said I'm a noob and all advive will be filled for future refrence but untill I get a proper job I'm stuck with my Sony STR-DE315 and lovly regonda speakers (I doubt anybody will have heard of them)