Upgrade to Dolby Atmos: Dedicated Dolby Atmos Cinema

The whole upgrade will consist of the following:

JVC D-ILA N7B
Panasonic DP-UB9000
Denon AVC-X6500H
REL G1 Mark II
Projecta Homescreen Deluxe 120" 2.35:1 with HD Progressive 0.9 screen
Panasonic Air Conditioning
Re-decorate in darker colours, using flat matte paint to try and reduce light bounce back from the walls and ceiling.

The 4K upgrade was done before Christmas, excluding the screen. The new screen has required a significant change to the front wall and re-decorating the whole room.

EDIT: Before and After Pictures.

Before
Cinema Dolby Atmos by Ian Waller, on Flickr

Cinema Front 001 by Ian Waller, on Flickr

After
2020 Cinema Overhaul by Ian Waller, on Flickr

Updates below . . . . .

Last edited:
Before tear down, working out the maximum possible new screen size. As you can see, all three speakers are going to need to move.

2020 cinema overhaul by Ian Waller, on Flickr

The teardown, plus you can see the colour swatches on the walls and ceiling.

I like the mounting brackets for the KEFs, once the brackets are fixed to the wall, the speakers just slide on and off.

The window at the screen end is going to be semi-permanently boarded up to allow for the new fixed screen.

We tried other colours, but still really like the original palette. The original colours were Dulux Velvet Truffle 3 on the walls and 4 on the ceiling, the new scheme is still Dulux Velvet Truffle, but now 2 on the walls and 3 on the ceiling. Also we have changed from Vinyl Silk to Flat Matte. I am also colour coding the loft hatch and wall hatches in Dulux Velvet Truffle Satin Wood.

Here is the ceiling painted with the Velvet Truffle 3, which is the same as the old wall colour, but in the 13 years since the room was originally painted, the colour has changed slightly, that and moving from Vinyl Silk to Flatte Matt, which I'm not sure existed then.

Is this going to be a dedicated room or do you use it for other purposes?

It is a dedicated room, although I simply cannot get the family to agree to full black or velvet lined walls or curtains. Maybe each time I decorate I can get darker. I think the full bat cave would be easier to adopt in a cellar/basement.

The room has a lovey feel about it and we always talk about spending more time in there for non cinema purposes, but it has never happened in 14 years!!

It is a dedicated room, although I simply cannot get the family to agree to full black or velvet lined walls or curtains. Maybe each time I decorate I can get darker. I think the full bat cave would be easier to adopt in a cellar/basement.

The room has a lovey feel about it and we always talk about spending more time in there for non cinema purposes, but it has never happened in 14 years!!

It’s a lovely room, but a shame if only using it for cinema use that you can’t go full bat cave. Your equipment certainly deserves it!!

We tried other colours, but still really like the original palette. The original colours were Dulux Velvet Truffle 3 on the walls and 4 on the ceiling, the new scheme is still Dulux Velvet Truffle, but now 2 on the walls and 3 on the ceiling. Also we have changed from Vinyl Silk to Flat Matte. I am also colour coding the loft hatch and wall hatches in Dulux Velvet Truffle Satin Wood.

Silk paint is nightmare. I learnt the hard way. I painted a room (walls) in Silk, and then realised that when the lights were on, every little tiny divot and imperfection was very visible. I repainted the room in the exact same colour, but using Matt Emulsion and I've been very happy ever since. Luckily it was a fairly small room, but it was still a pain having to to re-do it.

Regards,
James.

It’s a lovely room, but a shame if only using it for cinema use that you can’t go full bat cave. Your equipment certainly deserves it!!

I am still contemplating whether to use MVEL22 at the front of the room, maybe first 1-2 metres. Although will see how the room looks with the flat matt first. If I do go with MVEL22, I'm thinking curtains down the sides and flat panels on the three aspects of the ceiling, all using the same fabric? Where did you get your curtains made?

Do you think that the Brown would work for light control, or does it have to be black?

I am still contemplating whether to use MVEL22 at the front of the room, maybe first 1-2 metres. Although will see how the room looks with the flat matt first. If I do go with MVEL22, I'm thinking curtains down the sides and flat panels on the three aspects of the ceiling, all using the same fabric? Where did you get your curtains made?

Do you think that the Brown would work for light control, or does it have to be black?

I’m lucky, my mum made my curtains!!

Although I’ve not actually seen the brown material, I believe it would be much better than paint, the material itself is very non reflective.

I’d suggest buying 1 meter to see how it looks.

Once you’ve experienced a complete bat cave it really does change the whole viewing experience.

Have finished the window board (for the second time!!) and tidied ready for the new screen.

Cinema Overhaul 2020 by Ian Waller, on Flickr

Here you can see the tiny gaps in the window film, the room is so dark you could not walk around without walking into something!

And the final light test, including the Velux for reference. . . . .

And just waiting for the screen.

The screen will cover the air-vent, screws and window sill.

Have finished the window board (for the second time!!) and tidied ready for the new screen.

Here you can see the tiny gaps in the window film, the room is so dark you could not walk around without walking into something!

And the final light test, including the Velux for reference. . . . .

And just waiting for the screen.

The screen will cover the air-vent, screws and window sill.

Very nice indeed. The effort is certainly worth it.
I really like what you did with the window fill-in panel.

I’m about to go down this route myself as we’re moving home next week.

Current dedicated Home Cinema Room is a single garage conversion, but it will be a bedroom conversion at the new house and the bedroom has pesky windows located in exactly the wrong places 😆.

I’m going to fit internal window shutters which will remain closed (look nice externally) then insert a hardened rock wool panel and an MDF panel to cover it over which can be decorated. The window is off centre, but I’m hoping my screen will cover the protruding window sill. If not, I’ll have to saw it off and sand it smooth with the wall - which will be a pain!

Regards,
James.

The screen has finally been installed

And this is what the room now looks like:

Still not quite finished though, we have a new recliner sofa on order and I think I am making progress on permission to install a MVEL22 curtain, that I am planning to cover the walls and ceiling with a single piece, using four curtain poles. :smashin:

Your new 2.40:1 screen looks fantastic!

I looked through the thread but couldn’t see which one you had purchased.

My current screen is 16:9, but you’ve got me thinking about 2.40:1 again for the new home. Room is wider so I could make it fit...

One thing you may want to consider at some point in the future is using 1 mm handicraft black felt just on your screen wall. It really helps with contrast and framing and looks much nicer than painting a wall black. It’s easy to cut and fold and you can hold it in place with wallpaper paste and small black tin-tacs.

I got mine from British Felt online.

Regards,
Janes.

Janes,

The screen is a Projecta (Da-Lite) Homescreen Deluxe 120" 2.35:1 with HD Progressive 0.9 screen material.

I am planning to use MVEL22 at the front of the room to control the lighting, still working out best way to do this given the shape of the ceiling.

Ian.

I’d be tempted to do either the front half or all the ceiling including slopes in mvel22 or similar dark velvet. I have done entire ceilings with velvet wrapped panels before and the ceiling doesn’t look oppressive or tacky at all if just disappears and makes the ceiling actually look higher

Really really nice room.
Can we get a pic when playing a movie? It can be a still but just to see it in action.

Great job!

Thank you and will do 👍🏻

I’d be tempted to do either the front half or all the ceiling including slopes in mvel22 or similar dark velvet. I have done entire ceilings with velvet wrapped panels before and the ceiling doesn’t look oppressive or tacky at all if just disappears and makes the ceiling actually look higher

Thanks, yes I am planning on this.

The Curtain poles and MVEL22 are ordered, so will be updating the room again next weekend.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom