Upgrade to Dolby Atmos: Dedicated Dolby Atmos Cinema

The whole upgrade will consist of the following:

JVC D-ILA N7B
Panasonic DP-UB9000
Denon AVC-X6500H
REL G1 Mark II
Projecta Homescreen Deluxe 120" 2.35:1
Air Conditioning
Re-decorate in darker colours, using flat matte paint to try and reduce light bounce back from the walls and ceiling.

The 4K upgrade was done before Christmas, excluding the screen. The new screen has required a significant change to the front wall and re-decorating the whole room.

Updates to follow. . . . .

Last edited:

IanW

Before tear down, working out the maximum possible new screen size. As you can see, all three speakers are going to need to move.

2020 cinema overhaul by Ian Waller, on Flickr

IanW

IanW

The teardown, plus you can see the colour swatches on the walls and ceiling.

I like the mounting brackets for the KEFs, once the brackets are fixed to the wall, the speakers just slide on and off.

The window at the screen end is going to be semi-permanently boarded up to allow for the new fixed screen.

IanW

We tried other colours, but still really like the original palette. The original colours were Dulux Velvet Truffle 3 on the walls and 4 on the ceiling, the new scheme is still Dulux Velvet Truffle, but now 2 on the walls and 3 on the ceiling. Also we have changed from Vinyl Silk to Flat Matte. I am also colour coding the loft hatch and wall hatches in Dulux Velvet Truffle Satin Wood.

IanW

Here is the ceiling painted with the Velvet Truffle 3, which is the same as the old wall colour, but in the 13 years since the room was originally painted, the colour has changed slightly, that and moving from Vinyl Silk to Flatte Matt, which I'm not sure existed then.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Is this going to be a dedicated room or do you use it for other purposes?

IanW

It is a dedicated room, although I simply cannot get the family to agree to full black or velvet lined walls or curtains. Maybe each time I decorate I can get darker. I think the full bat cave would be easier to adopt in a cellar/basement.

The room has a lovey feel about it and we always talk about spending more time in there for non cinema purposes, but it has never happened in 14 years!!

mb3195

Distinguished Member
It is a dedicated room, although I simply cannot get the family to agree to full black or velvet lined walls or curtains. Maybe each time I decorate I can get darker. I think the full bat cave would be easier to adopt in a cellar/basement.

The room has a lovey feel about it and we always talk about spending more time in there for non cinema purposes, but it has never happened in 14 years!!
It’s a lovely room, but a shame if only using it for cinema use that you can’t go full bat cave. Your equipment certainly deserves it!!

IanW

IanW

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom