Dedicated Cinema Room - Light Control and Wall/ Ceiling Treatment

I am kinda leaning towards fabric I got on eBay (Sold by melebinltd). It comes 145cm wide and costs about £6.10 per m. Also stretches quite well so it would be easier to work with.
Hi, do you have link to the product? You can only search by the seller´s ID or email on eBay.

Turns out I have both of them here and the Superior micro velvet is quite a bit worse than the other one.
And one of them looks like a large pair of underpants :laugh:
Hi, do you have link to the product? You can only search by the seller´s ID or email on eBay.
Yes see below.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Never hit sent on the last reply :facepalm:

Well ladies and gents, I finally found my fabric:

The picture below shows the comparison between the new micro velvet and Mvel22.
Don't know if you can see it, but it looks a bit blacker than mvel. (Mvel22 is top, bottom is best fabric)

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_165330.jpg
    IMG_20200127_165330.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 446
By the looks of it, they have a brown vs gray tint. I pictured velvet as darker - is the camera making them appear lighter than they are?
Yes that's a camera artefact, possibly due to being in direct sunlight. They're definately both black.

Never hit sent on the last reply :facepalm:

Well ladies and gents, I finally found my fabric:

The picture below shows the comparison between the new micro velvet and Mvel22.
Don't know if you can see it, but it looks a bit blacker than mvel. (Mvel22 is top, bottom is best fabric)

The MVEL looks better to me in that picture.

Looks like there is another seller of the MVEL on ebay now at £8.45 per Metre.

The MVEL looks better to me in that picture.

Will try to take a better picture tonight. This new micro velvet is a bit darker than mvel in real life.

Will try to take a better picture tonight. This new micro velvet is a bit darker than mvel in real life.

I don't suppose you know whether it's AT?

I won't be able to do any measurements until next weekend or the weekend after as I am currently trying to finish home gym in the garage. But I would be surprised if it would be any different from mvel. It's got the same backing material, same texture and density. Also looks about as see through as mvel.

From the looks of the writing on the side white joining part it is the same stuff I got from ebay sellar pepmonty on my first batch a over a year ago.

Thanks- that’s where I got my samples from, but with no indication of the writing on the side. Could you post a picture please of the details on the side of the Pepe-Monte material you have.

Also, who is the new eBay seller?

Cheers. Bill

Last edited:
Thanks- that’s where I got my samples from, but with no indication of the writing on the side. Could you post a picture please of 5he details on the side of the Pepe-Monte material you have.

Also, who is the new eBay seller?

Cheers. Bill
A picture is the side of the second batch I got from eBay sales pepmonty, I literally joined this to my to my other batch, and cannot visible see a difference when it movie night and I have it all set up, but is there a slight deviation I'm colour yes, but it so slight you would may be have to argue that I was being pedantic.

I have noticed that there is a couple of new ebay sellers, my best guess that the penny has dropped and they have realise that there is a demand for this MVEL at this time, I managed to track down the MVEL to a company on Alibaba.com that could supply it but it came in rolls of only something like 300-500 metres but it only worked out at being approx £2 per metre with all charges chucked in,at that time pepmonty was selling for only £7.

TBH I am really surprised a bunch of members on here hasn't done this exact thing and clubbed in to buy roll and share amongst themselves the savings would be vast especially when doing a full room, but the logistics of doing that could be difficult and who wants to be stuck with a whole roll fabric you can't shift if people don't hold up to there end of the deal.

Attachments

• Side of MVEL.jpg
    Side of MVEL.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Link to pepe_monty :

This thread needs to be sticked and all your useful findings documented!

It could be pave the way as the perfect DIY guide for someone looking to create their perfect batcave.
There ought to be a way of pinning favoured products to the first page and allowing a vote system, to save the reader trouble.

As I understand the:
Ranking (unsure where to put pepe_monty)

#1 Micro velvet £6.49/m
BST Fabrics w=112cm

#2 Stretch velvet £7.64 for 4m<, £6.50 for 10m<, £6 for 25m<
melebinltd w=145cm

#3 Micro velvet £8.99/m
Cheap Fabrics w=112cm

#4 Cotton Velvet Fabric (EUF285-X321-E26B121)
EU Fabrics w=112cm
£7.99/m, £7.67 for 15m<, £7.43 for 25m<

Last edited:
I‘ve looked into the MVELL fabric previously from TiaKnight. I was sent one sample (which looked good) although what was sent in my order was two different quality fabrics. I returned these. Another batch was sent but this had faults on some parts of the fabric. Hence, this was returned.

I mentioned these fabric issues to my friend in the upholstery business. He suggested I steer clear of polyester fabrics and anything that was non FR rated (ie not Fire Retardant) He said all his furniture has to be made of FR rated fabrics for home or commercial use and why take the risk given electronics in the home cinema. It got me thinking about trying to find some FR rated fabrics at the right price and spec. Unfortunately, due to other issues and getting a few new equipment upgrades, I have not had the opportunity to look much further than obtain some sample FR fabrics. I will look into it further but, the issue of FR does resonate as a good idea and peace of mind.

There ought to be a way of pinning favoured products to the first page and allowing a vote system, to save the reader trouble.
I see if I could modify my first post to include those :thumbsup:

Regarding rankings, I would also put TiaKight MVEL22 tied with cheap fabrics offering, but if I had to choose MVEL22 would win as it's cheater :).

Also would probably stick devore in as No.5. I know people rated very highly, but in my opinion, it is worse than micro velvet due to directionality, light reflections, sheen and price (saved best for last).

So these are most of my sample fabrics, I chucked 10 or so cause they weren't even close to being black :).

Also a phot of comparison of 3 micro velvets, eBay fabric and devore. Pictures don't do the justice, they are all extremely black. Bst fabrics micro velvet in real life looks not as black as devore but is darker, it's like a slightly darker Mvel22.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200131_003801.jpg
    MVIMG_20200131_003801.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20200131_004256.jpg
    IMG_20200131_004256.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 377
Ordered the fabric on Friday so should be coming soon.

If anyone needs a sample of my 5 best I can happily send them through :)

Ordered the fabric on Friday so should be coming soon.

If anyone needs a sample of my 5 best I can happily send them through :)
Hi Alexxxx - yes, I'd like to see your best 5.

Have you now ordered the material you’re going to go with - if so, which is it please?

Cheers. Bill

There are at least 4 sellers now on eBay selling the MVEL fabric, having a look on Alibaba.com 100 metres is a mere £1.60-£1.80 per metre. I reckon any sample of this stuff now that may vary in shade of black is simply down poor quality control. The £6.45 From bst fabrics in all fairness is where the price should stand IMHO.

Last week I bought some MVEL from an eBay seller, 6 metres for £19 delivered, turns its out the exact same stuff I got from pep-monty.

Hi Alexxxx - yes, I'd like to see your best 5.

I went with BST Fabrics micro velvet.
PM me your address and should be able to send it this weekend.

There are at least 4 sellers now on eBay selling the MVEL fabric, having a look on Alibaba.com 100 metres is a mere £1.60-£1.80 per metre. I reckon any sample of this stuff now that may vary in shade of black is simply down poor quality control. The £6.45 From bst fabrics in all fairness is where the price should stand IMHO.

Last week I bought some MVEL from an eBay seller, 6 metres for £19 delivered, turns its out the exact same stuff I got from pep-monty.

Which seller may I ask?

It was just a one off 6 metres, the seller did have other fabrics for sale but no more MVEL sadly:(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom