Dedicated Cinema Room - Light Control and Wall/ Ceiling Treatment

Is there any customs to pay?
Well, I am in ROI so not for me but I would imagine that you would be hit with some customs fee for importing from EU if you would be to order from ROI.

I am sure you will be able to find a source in UK though.

Well, I am in ROI so not for me but I would imagine that you would be hit with some customs fee for importing from EU if you would be to order from ROI.
I'm not sure there's anything major, we still trade pretty freely with the EU I think. We'd pay VAT, but anything sent over would have Ireland's VAT removed first, so that's no different. It was more the cost of sending I was thinking of.

I don't know how much you order from EU but I order a lot from UK. Everything has customs duties added on top. In the first few months the 20e or less orders were free from customs but it was changed some time ago and now everything has to be paid.

Needless to say I don't order as much as I used to from UK :(

And UK 2nd hand market is completely gone for me :(

I don't know how much you order from EU but I order a lot from UK.
Only some sub amps this year I think. I think I paid VAT at 20%, and therefore got Germany's equivalent VAT removed, so it was the same.

Everything has customs duties added on top.
Oh dear - what percentage are they for you?

Needless to say I don't order as much as I used to from UK :(

And UK 2nd hand market is completely gone for me :(
That's a bummer :(

No you're quite right, but my plan is to put plenty of light on it when a film isn't on, so I'd hope I can see it. But if not, then I like your approach.
If you are covering your whole room in mvel (including ceilings), no matter how much light your throw at it, you won’t see hardly anything. It absorbs all forms of light. Consider this before doing it, I can’t see anything when my curtains are drawn, even getting to my seats is an issue…..

If you are covering your whole room in mvel (including ceilings), no matter how much light your throw at it, you won’t see hardly anything. It absorbs all forms of light. Consider this before doing it, I can’t see anything when my curtains are drawn, even getting to my seats is an issue…..
Thanks Mark. That is a real worry. How much light have you tried throwing at it?

Trying to think of solutions.
So we're making our rooms black to both increase contrast, and reduce what you can see other than the screen, while a film is playing. What are the most important areas for that purpose:

The general standard answer is the screen wall, and anything close to it is primary, followed by walls, ceiling, floor up to your viewing position. Then maybe the back wall.
But does this general guide apply to every inch of every surface? For example, does the fabric on the walls need to extend all the way to the floor and ceiling, or once at the extremes is it a lot less important? Because if they could be painted black, as opposed to covered in fabric, they'd light up well with strips of LED or downlights etc. And one could do the same with soffits.

Side note: Seymour screens don't think you need dark from wall, because if you've got the rest dark, then there's nowhere letting light bounce back to the front wall, so it'll be dark anyway. I haven't tested the theory.

Thanks Mark. That is a real worry. How much light have you tried throwing at it?

Further to the above, I've opened my MVEL, and with it in a dark room (not treated), I've shone a light on it with a work light. I flattened it roughly, which is obviously not the same as stretching it. Where it's flat and the light hits it at a right angle (towards the lower middle of the picture) it doesn't light up, but where the light hits it at an angle it seems to light up quite a lot I think.

MVEL test 2.jpg

Trying to think of solutions.
So we're making our rooms black to both increase contrast, and reduce what you can see other than the screen, while a film is playing. What are the most important areas for that purpose:

The general standard answer is the screen wall, and anything close to it is primary, followed by walls, ceiling, floor up to your viewing position. Then maybe the back wall.
But does this general guide apply to every inch of every surface? For example, does the fabric on the walls need to extend all the way to the floor and ceiling, or once at the extremes is it a lot less important? Because if they could be painted black, as opposed to covered in fabric, they'd light up well with strips of LED or downlights etc. And one could do the same with soffits.

Side note: Seymour screens don't think you need dark from wall, because if you've got the rest dark, then there's nowhere letting light bounce back to the front wall, so it'll be dark anyway. I haven't tested the theory.
You’ll definitely need some form of backing material behind the UF material.

in my room I have a total of 16 spot lights and 2 light strips. With the curtains drawn I lose 8 of these lights as they cover them. But it’s stupidly dark with the curtains drawn. @Apollo

How much the room needs to be covered is up to you. I’ve got an OCD about certain things that irritate me, so I don’t want to see anything when viewing the film, whereas it won’t bother 90% of people if in the corner of their eye they can see a reflection from a speaker for example. It annoys the hell out of me so I need to wrap my speakers in velvet (and cover my grill with mvel!!).

The issue you have when you go so dark is whatever is next to it - black paint for example, always looks lighter than it actually is, and can illuminate on certain scenes of films.

Whatever you think about curtains, if you want some form of ambient light, they are probably the best option. No really sure when you’re against them, you can’t see them when they are pulled back in my room (they hide behind the screen) and can’t see them (or anything) when they’re drawn.

Further to the above, I've opened my MVEL, and with it in a dark room (not treated), I've shone a light on it with a work light. I flattened it roughly, which is obviously not the same as stretching it. Where it's flat and the light hits it at a right angle (towards the lower middle of the picture) it doesn't light up, but where the light hits it at an angle it seems to light up quite a lot I think.

View attachment 1560285
It’s directional remember. Try the opposite way.

mine lights up a silvery colour if I look from the screen side, but doesn’t at all from my seating side.

It’s directional remember. Try the opposite way.

mine lights up a silvery colour if I look from the screen side, but doesn’t at all from my seating side.
Ah. I was testing a minute ago, rotating the fabric. Is it purely down to the angle you're viewing from, or is it also down to the angle it's lit from?

You’ll definitely need some form of backing material behind the UF material.
What's the backing material needed for?

How much the room needs to be covered is up to you. I’ve got an OCD about certain things that irritate me, so I don’t want to see anything when viewing the film, whereas it won’t bother 90% of people if in the corner of their eye they can see a reflection from a speaker for example.
What's the point in even switching the film on if you can see a speaker somewhere? :D

The issue you have when you go so dark is whatever is next to it - black paint for example, always looks lighter than it actually is, and can illuminate on certain scenes of films.
Yes, agreed, I just wonder if there's areas of the room which don't really receive much light when a film is on.

Whatever you think about curtains, if you want some form of ambient light, they are probably the best option. No really sure when you’re against them, you can’t see them when they are pulled back in my room (they hide behind the screen) and can’t see them (or anything) when they’re drawn.
Because ideally I want to walk into a room with it looking nice, settle down with everyone, press play and switch the lights off and away we go, rather than having to get up and walk around closing curtains.

Electric curtains would be an option, but I don't think I could get that to work in my room. Electric roller blinds would be better if achievable.

Yes, agreed, I just wonder if there's areas of the room which don't really receive much light when a film is on.
Anything behind your eyeline
What's the backing material needed for?
increases contrast, stops light bleed through your screen, increases sharpness - some black spandex will do the job fine
Because ideally I want to walk into a room with it looking nice, settle down with everyone, press play and switch the lights off and away we go, rather than having to get up and walk around closing curtains.
takes me a total of around 5 seconds, you could of course leave them fully drawn, only opening them when you actually need more light

increases contrast, stops light bleed through your screen, increases sharpness - some black spandex will do the job fine
Ah, I didn't realise you meant the screen, I thought you meant the MVEL on the walls. I don't know what UF stands for (I've not got the Seymour UF).

takes me a total of around 5 seconds, you could of course leave them fully drawn, only opening them when you actually need more light
Yeah, but then one of my kids wants to go to the toilet or get a drink, so I have to get up etc to open curtains so they can see. And then I have to wait until they're seated before I sit back down. And what if I'm not watching a film, and they are on their own? It can be done, but it's not the experience I'd ideally like. Electric curtains or blinds could fix that, but it's not straightforwards. If I can light it up well, that's what I'd like to try.

Last edited:
Ah, I didn't realise you meant the screen, I thought you meant the MVEL on the walls. I don't know what UF stands for (I've not got the Seymour UF).
i'd recommend a backing material for ANY AT screen unless it comes with the material - this would go between your speakers and your screen, as close to the screen as possible. I dont think the XD does if that what you've gone for,

I just painted the board behind my XD screen which seems to work well. It’s a non dedicated room though so everything is a compromise.

For the dedicated room I’m planning I do have have concerns about it being too black to the point it becomes disorientating. It will have an entrance at the back so I’m planning to have the front 2m MVEL floor walls and ceiling as well as back wall but a lighter scheme for where you walk in around the seating with some led lighting to assist people coming and going.

It will be very minimalist with nothing on show except screen, seating and port glass but I want guests to be able to appreciate the minimalism!

Electric curtains would be an option, but I don't think I could get that to work in my room. Electric roller blinds would be better if achievable.
You can have it looking 'nice' by doing it the same way the pro installers complete projects with fabric panels in neutral shades and plenty of down lighting plus highlight/feature LED strips between panels etc.

However, if you are aiming to have it dark to the extent @mb3195 has his then realistically it is going to need movable side curtains to cover a lighter more aesthetically pleasing side wall finish. This allows poster art and acoustic panels or whatever you fancy in lighter shades to add a bit of colour plus reflect some light to actually see with!

If you try throwing enough light at a completely dark fabric room to see anything clearly then it starts to look awful as every little imperfection, rough edge and differences in material stands out a mile.

You can have it looking 'nice' by doing it the same way the pro installers complete projects with fabric panels in neutral shades and plenty of down lighting plus highlight/feature LED strips between panels etc.

However, if you are aiming to have it dark to the extent @mb3195 has his then realistically it is going to need movable side curtains to cover a lighter more aesthetically pleasing side wall finish. This allows poster art and acoustic panels or whatever you fancy in lighter shades to add a bit of colour plus reflect some light to actually see with!

If you try throwing enough light at a completely dark fabric room to see anything clearly then it starts to look awful as every little imperfection, rough edge and differences in material stands out a mile.
Mmm, well that's not really want I want to hear, but thank you.

I'll let you know how I get on :laugh:

My friend
Mmm, well that's not really want I want to hear, but thank you.

I'll let you know how I get on :laugh:
My friend with all mvel room uses high power forehead led torch to navigate and operate the room :D

What are people's views on star ceilings? In terms of this thread's title.

Most people in this thread are chasing darkness and minimal reflections, so would the general view be that they should be avoided?

Granted the fabric of the star ceiling would be "black", but if you're covering your screen wall and the in field of view side walls in Devore or MVL22, my guess is the black ceiling won't look that black anymore in comparison. And I wonder if you'd get distracting light bounce off the ceiling from the star ceiling, which may negate the efforts made on the walls. Note: the stars would be off during a movie. I've not looked into what material they use but I imagine it's not MVL22 or similar.

I'm looking for a dark room so will be doing Devore/MVL22 at the front and sides, but also want something with a bit of cinema bling and interest rather just than a black hole.

Anyone here done or thinking of doing a MVL22/Devore room with a star ceiling?

What are people's views on star ceilings?
I like them.
In terms of this thread's title.
I haven't seen them, but like you I'd be concerned the fibre optics catch reflections. If no one replies on this thread, maybe start a new thread 'star ceiling' in the DIY section, to catch people's attention.

Granted the fabric of the star ceiling would be "black", but if you're covering your screen wall and the in field of view side walls in Devore or MVL22, my guess is the black ceiling won't look that black anymore in comparison. And I wonder if you'd get distracting light bounce off the ceiling from the star ceiling, which may negate the efforts made on the walls. Note: the stars would be off during a movie. I've not looked into what material they use but I imagine it's not MVL22 or similar.
No it's probably not, but I see no reason why you couldn't use MVEL (or maybe give it to the company to use, if not DIYing).

I DIY'd a star ceiling using mvell. There's no issue when the lights are off, never even a hint of a reflection from the fibers.

I really like them on for relaxed watching but don't underestimate the amount of work involved in fitting them if DIYing it.

Hi

I am trying to do a partial mask to reduce reflections a bit. My idea is like this one:

A strip of velvet fabric covering the first 4 feet of side walls and ceiling.

I need some help choosing the fabric even after reading thousands of posts...

I bought a sample of a lycra velvet in a local shop. The cotton one was nicer but costed around 30 eur per meter and since it is a temporary solution I'd prefer to spend a little bit less.

The lycra one is quite shinny. I don't like it. There is one better direction but overall reflects a lot. And also is super stretchy. So difficult to hang between a batch of hooks (will sag for sure).

TBV is not delivered to Spain. BST also delivers only UK.

Devore is almost as expensive as the cotton one. Plus customs...

Mvel22 from Tia is one serious option. The problem is that I guess I'll have to pay customs (my estimate is 21% VAT plus 20 eur for customs paperwork. Is it like this?) So it would be around 150 eur 10 meter.

Another option is a polyester velvet delivered from Spain. Right now is on sale and it would be only 60 eur for 10m. The seller sent me a video of the fabric and it seems both black and shinny.

So I am wondering if it is justified to pay 150 vs 60 for Mvel vs this polyester velvet.

After reading the posts it seems that good fabric can have some reflections depending on the angle so polyester may work. Or not.

Actually, I thought that mvel22 was amazing rejecting light but then some users explained that was also very directional and shinny. So confused...

If it is a directional fabric, then I guess I won't be able to use a single strip of fabric as the direction will be mixed and I should cut and sew. Is this right?

Any help? As it is a compromised solution I don't expect a real black hole. Just to remove the first order reflections and improve a bit my picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom