Dedicated Cinema Room - Light Control and Wall/ Ceiling Treatment

I’ve jumped on the bandwagon and ordered 60m of the Cinema blackout self adhesive flock that Luminated67 used.

They gave me a good price too which was more in line with the wider material. It’s no doubt going to be a nightmare to fit but should make a massive difference.

Is that because you ordered more?? I was told if I ordered a larger roll I’d get a better price.

Yeah, I originally asked for a price for 50m and he said I’d get a better price for 60m. Probably because the cut the wider stuff in half to make the 625mm wide rolls.

Its being dispatched on the 14th as they have a supply problem. It’s probably stuck in the Suez Canal 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hey guys.

I have some pesky covering which is reflecting a hell of a lot of light. Is there anything I can stick over it which will reduce the light?

Also, my ceiling is painted a dark shade of grey ('gallant grey) but its still not dark enough TBH on a bright scene.

What're my options? Can I install ceiling panels? How would I attach them to the ceiling? Or am I better off re-painting?

Hey guys.

I have some pesky covering which is reflecting a hell of a lot of light. Is there anything I can stick over it which will reduce the light?

Also, my ceiling is painted a dark shade of grey ('gallant grey) but its still not dark enough TBH on a bright scene.

What're my options? Can I install ceiling panels? How would I attach them to the ceiling? Or am I better off re-painting?
You should know as well as anyone here by now there's only one real solution to light reflection on a ceiling and that's MVEL covered panels....how you go about solving this in your room is another story👍

You should know as well as anyone here by now there's only one real solution to light reflection on a ceiling and that's MVEL covered panels....how you go about solving this in your room is another story👍
How do you attach panels to a ceiling? I know MVEL is god tier but DIY and all this stuff is well beyond my capabilities. What material can be used which is cheap and easy to attach to a ceiling?

Hey guys.

How do you attach panels to a ceiling? I know MVEL is god tier but DIY and all this stuff is well beyond my capabilities. What material can be used which is cheap and easy to attach to a ceiling?
You know what I am going to suggest regarding the ceiling. LOL

Put lining paper on the ceiling and then use the self adhesive flock, will be dead simple to remove again if or when you chose to return the room to normal again.

I’ve done my ceiling and don’t feel the need to do Mvel currently. Works really well.

You know what I am going to suggest regarding the ceiling. LOL

Put lining paper on the ceiling and then use the self adhesive flock, will be dead simple to remove again if or when you chose to return the room to normal again.

Wow. This sounds like exactly what I want. Basically I'm very hesitant to go the full-hog just yet incase I don't like it. Luminated I'm going to drop you a private message if its okay on this idea.

I’ve done my 6 rolls of adhesive flock but need more, anyone got any spare knocking about that they would be willing to move on. I’ll put a wanted poster in the classifieds 👍

I’ve done my 6 rolls of adhesive flock but need more, anyone got any spare knocking about that they would be willing to move on. I’ll put a wanted poster in the classifieds
where did you get from ?
Any photos ?

where did you get from ?
Any photos ?

I’ve just finished the last roll, but probably need 1 or 2 more to complete the back wall. For now I’m happy with the outcome

Attachments

• 7D0DAB00-E627-4CCE-8D3F-DDCEE18A44A6.jpeg
    7D0DAB00-E627-4CCE-8D3F-DDCEE18A44A6.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 753E2E6B-E8AC-46E6-A9F5-670D781F4C59.jpeg
    753E2E6B-E8AC-46E6-A9F5-670D781F4C59.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 292AF606-E4F6-4F6F-AF1D-C69DAD973B57.jpeg
    292AF606-E4F6-4F6F-AF1D-C69DAD973B57.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 124

I’ve just finished the last roll, but probably need 1 or 2 more to complete the back wall. For now I’m happy with the outcome
Thanks.
great job you did on there.
did you make your absorption panels as well ?

Thanks.
great job you did on there.
did you make your absorption panels as well ?

Hi, no all the panels came from blue frog audio

I got a good price as I picked up 5 x 100mm panels and 16 of the 60mm panels, I’ve got 8 in the adjacent gym 👍

I can feel some velvet capes for the mains n top of the centre coming on 😉

I can feel some velvet capes for the mains n top of the centre coming on 😉
Already done the Center today. 3 sheets of Cortex cut to size and wrapped in flock 😊

Any ideas on how to attach velvet to the walls ?
I received a 25 metre roll of black velvet and thinking to directly attach the fabric to walls using the glue.

Think about how you're ever going to get it off, not just stick it on.

Any ideas on how to attach velvet to the walls ?
I received a 25 metre roll of black velvet and thinking to directly attach the fabric to walls using the glue.
If in doubt just get it taught at the top and nail, staple it something similar and just let it naturally hang, it's heavy enough it will work👍

If in doubt just get it taught at the top and nail, staple it something similar and just let it naturally hang, it's heavy enough it will work👍
Yeah that is the last option. But i was thinking if it could attach with a glue then it would be a bit clean looking job.

Yeah that is the last option. But i was thinking if it could attach with a glue then it would be a bit clean looking job.
“Clean” and “glue” don’t go hand in hand with velvet!!!

I covered a couple of my cabinet doors using glue. Will never do that again!!

“Clean” and “glue” don’t go hand in hand with velvet!!!

I covered a couple of my cabinet doors using glue. Will never do that again!!
Yes it's definitely a lesson learnt with MVELL and glue, I used carpet spray glue and there was a very fine line between applying not enough or too much basically just a fraction too much and the MVELL absorbed it and created when dried a hard shiney surface on the MVELL that reflected light, not the desired finish.lol.

Last edited:
IMHO you want a cleaner job pin the MVELL at the bottom too, I would avoid glueing the stuff at all costs, then there is the obvious thing of if you choose to change the room in time to come the walls will be in a mess and the MVELL ruined, I just don't see any positives to the glueing method at this stage.

Nail Job will be easier for me but wont it affect the acoustics ? Just wondering i dont know much about this. There will be a gap then between the fabric and the wall and i think it might affect the sound. Please correct me if im wrong. If it doesnt bother anything im very fine by it and the glue job is painful i know that ;)

By MVELL do you mean Microvelvet ? Its a thin fabric which is very dark when viewed at certain angles and very shiny at other.

The fabric at the bottom is Microvelvet, in the first pic. Here it looks too shiny, but from the side ( 2nd pic ) it looks very dark.
20210618_134002.jpg
20210618_134350.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom