Question Dedicated cinema room layout advice

Respawn

Standard Member
I've been reading these forums for a few years now and have found some really amazing projects and always good advice.

I write my first ever post to hopefully get some of that 1st class advice and help for myself.

I currently have a room that has a sofa for gaming and a 40" Samsung TV and sound bar, a desk with a couple of monitors for gaming and general computer stuff and various figures and geeky stuff.

I would like to turn it into more of a dedicated cinema room and get rid of the desk which takes up quite a bit of room and go for a laptop.

The problem i have is the room is 4.9 m long and 2.34m wide and unfortunately has a door at one end and 2 patio doors at the other.

I've considered blocking up the patio doors but the boss is not keen on that as the room next to this one is quite dark and uses some of the light from these doors that would make it darker.

Putting in any windows on the sides are out of the question as this is a middle room.

So am thinking of some form of blackout idea that when the room is not in use light can still get through (blinds/curtains)??

I found some floor plan software and have made a feeble attempt to create something similar to what i was looking to do.
Plan.jpg

I know ideally i don't want to put the TV against a window/patio doors but i can't put it the other end due to the door.

Currently the TV and sofa are using the width of the room so its not an issue.

I was going to buy a 75" TV and was originally going to get the Samsung MU7000 but the boss said i might be able to stretch to the Sony KD75XE9005 which some people on here seem to think is a good buy.

For the sound i was thinking of the package from Richer Sounds Onkyo HTS5805 receiver and Atmos speakers which seem to have good reviews.

So my question is this....what can i do with this room???

Am i on the right track with layout and equipment??

If you have read this far and put up with my waffle then thanks and well done!

3D Image1.jpg
3D Image2.jpg

nrees87

Given the fact you're happy to block the patio door with a great big media centre, I'm assuming that those doors aren't the only way out of the front / rear of the property?

If that's the case - why not brick up the doors? That way you could put a false wall at that end with the LCR speakers behind an AT screen. At 2.2 metres wide, you could have a 98" diagonal screen (at 16:9) or 94" at 2.35:1.

You could even store the AV equipment in the cupboard at the back of the room to minimise distractions and reduce the cable length to the projector.

To keep costs low, I would cover the new stud wall in devore fabric as it would mean less "making good" and would give that "black hole" effect.

Nate

Respawn

Standard Member
To keep the boss happy I've been thinking of putting a stud wall in the patio door aperture but not brick it up and that way its not permanent.

I would also put black or white window film on the patio doors to prevent viewing the rear of the stud wall from the garden.

We have a back door to the garden in the kitchen so this is not the only way out into the rear garden.

I was thinking of then getting a friend who is a plasterer to plaster the stud wall and surrounding wall to make good.

In regards to the Devore fabric i like that idea but i was thinking of just painting the walls matt black, do people just paint their walls or does it have to be fabric???

If i get the Sony KD75XE9005 and hang it on the stud wall I should have just over 30cm either side to have speakers, does that sound ok???

The projector idea is good but as this will be my first attempt at a more dedicated home setup i'm a little nervous about projectors. :)

I was thinking if i get on well with this project then maybe a projector and bigger screen size would be my next project in a couple of years.

Cherrywood

Stud wall if you can get it approved will be best way forward.

Personally i would ditch TV and go for the PJ as its a dedicated room - if you have a Richer Sounds near by you could potentially take the boss for a demo in dedicated room. They will also give you lots of advise in regards to setting it up.

If you do go down the Stud/ PJ route you could potentially build your own AT screen and install LCR speakers into wall.

Devore fabric is probs best way to reduce reflections, especially in a smaller room but Black Paint will be good enough. Even using fabric on third of the room (Around screen end) will make a big difference. then Paint towards the rear.

Make sure you supply lots of pictures along the way :)

Respawn

Standard Member
Stud wall if you can get it approved will be best way forward.

Personally i would ditch TV and go for the PJ as its a dedicated room - if you have a Richer Sounds near by you could potentially take the boss for a demo in dedicated room. They will also give you lots of advise in regards to setting it up.
Good call, might go tomorrow!

nrees87

To keep the boss happy I've been thinking of putting a stud wall in the patio door aperture but not brick it up and that way its not permanent.

I would also put black or white window film on the patio doors to prevent viewing the rear of the stud wall from the garden.

We have a back door to the garden in the kitchen so this is not the only way out into the rear garden.

I was thinking of then getting a friend who is a plasterer to plaster the stud wall and surrounding wall to make good.

In regards to the Devore fabric i like that idea but i was thinking of just painting the walls matt black, do people just paint their walls or does it have to be fabric???

If i get the Sony KD75XE9005 and hang it on the stud wall I should have just over 30cm either side to have speakers, does that sound ok???

The projector idea is good but as this will be my first attempt at a more dedicated home setup i'm a little nervous about projectors. :)

I was thinking if i get on well with this project then maybe a projector and bigger screen size would be my next project in a couple of years.
There are a few others who have gone down the route of window-film and some rockwool behind a fake stud wall and it seems to work fairly well!

If it's the plan with the best Wife Approval Factor - then you're on to a winner.

If you've got a plasterer to hand, then you can forego the devote and just go with matt black paint - it's personal preference really.

If you're leaning towards a TV on the wall - why not recess it into the wall along with the speakers. That's the route I'm heading towards in my multi-year living room build at the moment (See link in signature).

Nate

Respawn

Standard Member
Good call, might go tomorrow!
Went.... thoroughly uninspired by that visit.

The 2 members of staff knew less than i did and i even corrected them about their own products.

They couldn't even get the demo room equipment working so wasted trip.

Tempted to just stick a TV on the wall now...

mushii

Richer Sounds are only really box shifters with showroom premises. You would be better off visiting a professional AV company or one of the better independent AV retailers if you want a demo by staff who understand their products. There are plenty out there but you may need to travel depending where you are in the UK.

Richer Sounds

AVForums Sponsor
Went.... thoroughly uninspired by that visit.

The 2 members of staff knew less than i did and i even corrected them about their own products.

They couldn't even get the demo room equipment working so wasted trip.

Tempted to just stick a TV on the wall now...
Hi there,

I was obviously concerned to read your comments following a recent visit to one of our branches and offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

So that I may investigate further, and resolve the matter to your satisfaction, please could you PM me with your contact information?

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

Respawn

Standard Member
I don't have access to start conversations on the board.

I will send a message to you via your email which i found on the site and hopefully you can tempt me back into spending all my money with you.

Respawn

Standard Member
Went back to Richer Sounds today, spoke with someone that seemed to know what they were talking about this time.
Their customer service team i have been communicating with via email have been very attentive and helpful.
Demo room was ready and waiting for me and showed me a Sony VPL-HW45ES which looked quite good.
I've been reading about it and it seems like it has good reviews but is a couple of years old now.
Anyone that has this projector got any views of this ??

I'm waiting for the guy to give me a call back later in the week with final prices of everything i said i wanted to restore my faith in the shop.

I'm probably going to go for the Sapphire 92" electric screen although the casing dims are 235.4 and my wall up near the ceiling is 232.5 so i may have to see if i can cut out some of the wall plaster to fit it in.
I will try to build an enclosure for the ceiling to hide the casing anyway.

I think i may have to cut out some sections of my ceiling to see where the joists are as i have tried locating the screws with a magnet but i'm not getting anything.
Its my first time in doing something like this so i'm a bit nervous in cutting chunks out of the ceiling so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cherrywood

Did you manage to get approval for a stud wall?
If so, you could save yourself hassle by using a fix screen with Speakers behind - this will maximize the size screen you can have also.

16:9 Screen (230cm Wide) = 103" Diagonal
2.39:1 Screen (230cm Wide) = 98" Diagonal but more cinematic.

With either screen you could also create manual masking by wrapping wood panels in Devore and using magnets to attach to screen. This would hide the black bars.

Choosing between the ratios depends on your viewing/ If its mainly films then 2:39 is way forward. If its more Gaming/ TV Box Sets/ Sports then then 16:9 would give best impact and use masking for films.

Regarding Projector, i haven't had any experience with Sony - i use the Epson TW6100. The most important thing is getting the room right, the darker the better.

Last edited:

Kev Greenhalgh

I think i may have to cut out some sections of my ceiling to see where the joists are as i have tried locating the screws with a magnet but i'm not getting anything.
Its my first time in doing something like this so i'm a bit nervous in cutting chunks out of the ceiling so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hold on, before you go and hack your ceiling to pieces, give one of these a try :eek:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/joist-finder-DIY-Tools/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:79903031,k:joist finder
If you have a family or friend that's in the construction bizz ask if you could borrow one. :thumbsup:

Respawn

Standard Member
Did you manage to get approval for a stud wall?
If so, you could save yourself hassle by using a fix screen with Speakers behind - this will maximize the size screen you can have also.

16:9 Screen (230cm Wide) = 103" Diagonal
2.39:1 Screen (230cm Wide) = 98" Diagonal but more cinematic.

With either screen you could also create manual masking by wrapping wood panels in Devore and using magnets to attach to screen. This would hide the black bars.

Choosing between the ratios depends on your viewing/ If its mainly films then 2:39 is way forward. If its more Gaming/ TV Box Sets/ Sports then then 16:9 would give best impact and use masking for films.
Nope :( but what i was thinking was when the room is not being used then the patio doors are on show with light coming through.

When its in use a blackout blind and electric screen can come down.

I don't think that i will be able to have a fixed screen because of this.

It will be used for movies, gaming, Netflix so very general viewing.

Hold on, before you go and hack your ceiling to pieces, give one of these a try :eek:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/joist-finder-DIY-Tools/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:79903031,k:joist finder
If you have a family or friend that's in the construction bizz ask if you could borrow one. :thumbsup:
I thought i read that they were not very good so wasn't going to bother.

Funny enough i stuck a screw driver into the ceiling around 3.2m from where he screen would be and on the second hole have found a timber so have something to work with now for a projector mount.

Not tried poking something through the ceiling for the screen yet.

derekhansen

Demo room was ready and waiting for me and showed me a Sony VPL-HW45ES which looked quite good.
I've been reading about it and it seems like it has good reviews but is a couple of years old now.
Anyone that has this projector got any views of this ??
I have had this projector running in my dedicated cinema room since December last year. Bearing in mind that this is my first pj I was knocked out when I first fired it up. As my cinema room has no other purpose but to watch movies we watch with the lights off and to my eyes the picture quality is superb.

Respawn

Standard Member
I have had this projector running in my dedicated cinema room since December last year. Bearing in mind that this is my first pj I was knocked out when I first fired it up. As my cinema room has no other purpose but to watch movies we watch with the lights off and to my eyes the picture quality is superb.
Thanks for the input Derekhansen, that is nice to know its a good buy.

Hopefully if the Richer Sound chap comes back with a tempting offer i will buy that with the screen and Onkyo Atmos setup.

Respawn

Standard Member
For the screen though i'm thinking that the lintel above the patio doors will be suitable and strong enough to put the screen mounts on as its a fairly new extension.
Seems solid enough when i knock it so i'll try a few small test drill holes.

Respawn

Standard Member
Well i'd love to get my project started but yet again it seems i've been let down by Richer Sounds!
After a nice visit to their store on Monday i was told i would get a call back on Wednesday at the latest to finalise a price for all the stuff i wanted.
Saturday morning and still waiting.
John Clayton if you happen to read this...not impressed and yet again your company has failed me.
Guess I need to start looking elsewhere for someone to take my money.

mushii

All I am going to say is give Peter Tyson a call. Had nothing but 100% service from them. Just bought a client an X4400H, free five year warranty, cheaper than RS and delivered next day. Tried to go to RS but as the lazy @@@s don’t open until 11am I wasn’t going to wait until they were open. This is the 3rd amp I have bought from them this year, flawless service.

Respawn

Standard Member
I went into Southampton Richer Sounds today, it was like night and day compared to the Brighton store.

Welcomed in and straight away the chap seemed to know what he was talking about.

Didn't feel rushed and spent around 1.5 hours in there.

Bought the following:

Sony VPL-HW65ES projector
Sony STRDN1080 AV Receiver
Monitor W165 front L &R in wall speakers
Monitor W250LCR in wall centre speaker
Monitor Bronze W10 Sub
4x Monitor C165 to use as 2x Atmos and 2x rear surround ceiling speakers

I'll be building a floating stud wall on the patio door end of the room and using a fixed AT screen.

Will start to build the wall and pelmet this week.

derekhansen

You have picked up some nice kit. I have the Sony VPL-HW45ES (the model below yours) and it is excellent.
How long do you estimate the build to take?

Respawn

Standard Member
Depending how well it goes.

I'll be doing it in between normal daily work/family life so don't really know.

I put the project on today and hooked it straight to my xbox and watched a few Netflix samples to gauge where to put my projector in the room.

Looks like i can put it on the rear wall which saves hassle of putting it in the middle of the ceiling and running wires across the ceiling to the wall.

I'll also put the receiver and xbox at the rear now under my projector which means i wont have to run cables of any real length around the room (other than speaker wire).

The picture looks really good though.

Respawn

Standard Member
Can I ask you experts.

If I'm putting the ceiling speakers above my seating position.

Would wall mounted surrounds be better than the ceiling surrounds for a 5.1.2 setup??

Respawn

Standard Member
Ok I'll call the chap from Richer on Monday to change 2 of the C165's for 2 Monitor bookshelf speakers to put on the wall.
He's not sent me them yet so I can change them.

For about the same price I can get the Monitor Bronze 1 pair which look quite popular.

Does mean sorting out the position of them in my very narrow room though with them getting on the way but if the sound will be better then i can live with squeezing round them to get in the room.

Respawn

Standard Member
Just a quick one for you engineering people.
I want to put my projector on the bottom of a wall cabinet I'm building to try and get the projector as parallel as I can to the screen.]
I'd rather not use a mount as I want it quite neat.
The Sony is a big unit weighing 9kg.
It has 3 holes on the bottom.
I've got some M5 threaded rod and cut 3 lengths.
I've popped a penny washer on the projector and a nylon locking nut on this.
I've then pushed this through my timber frame and MDF (not got the bottom on yet).
Then another penny washer and locking nut.
Does this look secure and safe enough???

20180610_171043.jpg 20180610_171838.jpg

Last edited:

Trending threads

Latest news

Disney+ subscribers experience launch day technical jitters
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix to stop supporting older Samsung TVs in December
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Kanto launches TUK active wireless speaker in UK
  • By Andy Bassett