1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated CD/MP3 player or Universal Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dboo, Oct 22, 2004.

1. dboo

dboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already own a Panasonic HS2. I now wish to buy a player capable of playing CDs and MP3s. While some have advised that a dedicated CD player would be better than a Universal player, I am quite taken by the Pioneer 575 which by all accounts is a good dvd player at a nice price because it also has compent connections which would be an improvement on the HS2. I intend to connect it to a Marantz 7400 receiver and will split it 40:60 dvd / music.

Advice would be greatly received.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Do you want to play CD's or do you want to play them well?

If the former is all you seek, the 575 is fine. If you want to play CD's properly, get a dedicated CD player; using a budget DVD player is crazy!

Your Marantz amp is a dandy and sounds very nice in stereo - get a seperate CD player to hear the most out of your music. :)

3. dboo

dboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Any particular CD player you can recommend costing not more than £200?

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Check out www.richersounds.co.uk

See Marantz CD5400/CD7300, NAD C521Bee or Cambridge Audio Azur 540C. Don't be tempted by the Sony SACD players unless you really want to use SACD's - this players CD playback is a bit lacking IMO. :)

5. dboo

dboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your assistance. I will go for the Marantz. I am still having problems deciding on a speaker system not costing more than £500. I have seen the Mordaunt Short Premiere Plus but I am unsure if this will go well with the Marantz receiver for music purposes. Any ideas?

6. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dboo, I used to have the Mordaunt-Short Premiere setup and it was very good musically... 'as far as satellite systems go'.

If you are using your system for 60% music, I would seriously recommend going for a larger setup, as you will get a much better midrange. Have you looked at the Monitor Audio Bronze range? Even the smallest of the range, the B1, will be far better than the MS setup for music. But ideally the raved about B2 - these are excellent. I was considering the following setup when I was in a similar position:

B2 fronts, B centre, B1 rears. (available in 3 finishes)

Try www.hifi4less.com - they do them at a reasonable price. If funds allow, add a sub.