Dedicated 3D Projector suggestions

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Any suggestions for a dedicated 3D projector? I just want the best 3D projector performance possible for a decent price.

I've used the Epson 9400 which was fantastic but had a bit of cross talk, a Panasonic 902B which is much brighter so even better and has more clarity but has a lot more cross talk and a Sony HW40ES which is sadly with my Draper React 3 screen too dim.

The Epson and to a lesser extent the Panasonic suffered from some weird motion issue too (and I'm not that sensitive to motion).

I've heard DLP projectors are the best for 3D generally? Any models I should be looking to buy?

This will be near-enough strictly for 3D projection. I might watch the odd film but I don't want to factor that into the decision making process and want to prioritise 3D for now. If it is used for 2D films, I won't be expecting reference quality and it'll just be for fun with family.

Thank you for the suggestions and help please!

Throw distance is 2.8-2.9M projecting onto a draper react 3 screen.

Bump.... any advice? No 3D projector on the market which will do 3D better than a 9400 for a fraction of the price?

As 3D only seems to be available at 1080p and not 4K then if that is all you will be using it for then a 1080p DLP like an Optoma or BenQ will give you a great 3D picture and not a bad 2D one but only at a max of 1080p of course, at a fraction of the cost of a true 4K projector and even a pixel shifting 4K one.

As 3D only seems to be available at 1080p and not 4K then if that is all you will be using it for then a 1080p DLP like an Optoma or BenQ will give you a great 3D picture and not a bad 2D one but only at a max of 1080p of course, at a fraction of the cost of a true 4K projector and even a pixel shifting 4K one.

thank you! any suggested uk models? :)

i just want the punchiest best 3D, preferably better than my old 9400.

im using an ALR screen.

thank you! any suggested uk models? :)

i just want the punchiest best 3D, preferably better than my old 9400.

im using an ALR screen.

Hi

The Optoma 143X is under £475 and gets good reviews:

I don’t think it has any lens shift but it’s pretty small (tiny compared to the 9400 anyway) so could be put on a small table possibly for when you need to watch 3D stuff.

Cheers

Hi

The Optoma 143X is under £475 and gets good reviews:

I don’t think it has any lens shift but it’s pretty small (tiny compared to the 9400 anyway) so could be put on a small table possibly for when you need to watch 3D stuff.

Cheers

Thanks Graham. I'll check it out. Man this is such a pain.

I've heard DLP is the way to go.. but my Epson 9400 JUST about had enough lumens in medium/low modes. Not sure what brightness PJ I should be going for now.

The Optoma UHD51 does 4K and 3D

What’s the room environment like? I guess not great if you’re using a React screen, so your lack of light control is probably preventing you getting the best out of any projector. I guess you need a light cannon or light control. The problem with a brighter projector though is it will probably make the lack of light control even worse.

If you had a batcave you wouldn’t need a React screen and might even get away with a cheap DLP if you don’t suffer from RBE.

I use an old JVC X3 in a room with decent light control and the 3D (to me) is awesome even at 120” wide after the panels have warmed up (takes about half an hour). Most people think newer JVC projectors have even better 3D.

Once there is little to no cross-talk issue then you will be wanting to improve picture quality generally such as contrast, black floor, sharpness etc. and for that I suggest you will be looking at JVC, Sony or Epson.

I too have often read that DLP are the best for 3D but I hate the rainbows I see with DLP.

In short, I would look to improve the room conditions and keep the Sony to start with.

What’s the room environment like? I guess not great if you’re using a React screen, so your lack of light control is probably preventing you getting the best out of any projector. I guess you need a light cannon or light control. The problem with a brighter projector though is it will probably make the lack of light control even worse.

If you had a batcave you wouldn’t need a React screen and might even get away with a cheap DLP if you don’t suffer from RBE.

I use an old JVC X3 in a room with decent light control and the 3D (to me) is awesome even at 120” wide after the panels have warmed up (takes about half an hour). Most people think newer JVC projectors have even better 3D.

Once there is little to no cross-talk issue then you will be wanting to improve picture quality generally such as contrast, black floor, sharpness etc. and for that I suggest you will be looking at JVC, Sony or Epson.

I too have often read that DLP are the best for 3D but I hate the rainbows I see with DLP.

In short, I would look to improve the room conditions and keep the Sony to start with.

I find my hw40es is awful for 3D because it’s so dim so I assume the x30
Would be worst for me

Maybe hw needs a new lamp but it says it’s only 300 hours in. I presumed it was a lumen shortage

You didn’t criticise the Sony for crosstalk and use a React screen with it so it leads me to believe your room is your problem. Do you have white walls and ceiling instead of black?

You didn’t criticise the Sony for crosstalk and use a React screen with it so it leads me to believe your room is your problem. Do you have white walls and ceiling instead of black?

The projector is so dim in 3D even in 3D mode.

No and I’m not about to paint it black just for 3D.

My old epson 9400 was awesome for 3D in the same room.

Ah well, the 9400 is a lot brighter at 2600 lumens.

I guess you are looking for a high lumens projector to overcome your lack of light control.

Ah well, the 9400 is a lot brighter at 2600 lumens.

I guess you are looking for a high lumens projector to overcome your lack of light control.

Yup. That and the fact I probably prefer a brighter image.

3D dims the image as it is. Even on my Panasonic 902B which blasts through 1000 nits, 3D obviously dims the picture.

Maybe my HW40E's bulb is prematurely showing its age because I can't imagine a PJ of the same brightness looking amazong in 3D.

If you need the extra brightnes for 3D and can afford it then maybe the Optoma UHD52 ALV with its RGBWRGBW colour wheel instead of the RGBRGB of the UHD 51 will suit you better but the colours would not be as good for 4K 2D

If you need the extra brightnes for 3D and can afford it then maybe the Optoma UHD52 ALV with its RGBWRGBW colour wheel instead of the RGBRGB of the UHD 51 will suit you better but the colours would not be as good for 4K 2D

That PJ looks ace. was looking at worst case to stay below £1k tho... as its only for 3D films. Selling the Sony HW40Es for £500.

2D is on the OLED so not a problem. 4k is on the oled too so not a problem.

is there a step down model which is comparable? 1080p

Specs show its brighter, short throw - and 3D and good response times.
my throw is 2.8M for 95-100'' image.. think thats abit too short :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom