Question Dedicated 2 Chanel listening room help needed please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Higibuilder, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Help needed please . Am currently looking to buy a new house with the intention to have a dedicated treated 2 Chanel music room . Turntable amp speakers sofa and that’s it . Will treat the room acoustics best I can . Bass traps defusers on walls corners ceilings etc etc
    Speakers are kef ref 3.2 that I can sit against the wall .

Question is I only have around 12 ft by 11ft

Is this do able

Many thanks and sorry if this is on the wrong section.

2. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
  3. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    Everything is do-able !

If it is a dedicated listening room then getting it sounding good is more possible than having to integrate with other requirements (TV, fires etc.). here is the installation manual it give some clues as to positioning.

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/museum_pdf/00s/Reference~Two_Installation_Manual_r.pdf

So I would start with then about 6' apart equidistant from the side walls, toe in slightly and about 1' from the rear walls. From there you can toe in to get the best soundstage and move back/forward to get the best bass response.

Depending on your budget for an amp you could go for the lingdorf ones with room eq built in, or get a good stereo amp and add a dirac box if you can't get a perfect sound using passive means. the Yamaha RN803 also has some room eq as well and is a bit lower down the ladder. if you do not want to play with room eq then I would be looking at the Yamaha AS1100 or rega elicit-r as a good place to start auditioning with those speakers.

So, do you already have an amp and turntable and if not a budget for these would be useful so people can suggest solutions.

4. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thank you for that great reply much appreciated

Already have lots of high end gear to go in just not sure it’s going to be to small a room

. Kit will be
    Kef ref 3.2
    Viva audio solista valve amp
    Highly modified turntable
    Highly modified shanking cdt100

Have already got 10... 2ft x 4ft 100ml thick bass traps and 3 defusers ready to treat the room the kit ends up in .

5. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    Do you have a measurement system with a calibrated mic? I would guess this would be essential in your case if you are looking to optimise the room passively.

If you get a usb one then you can use something like REW to measure the frequency response into a laptop at the listening position every time you move or add something until you get the sound you like, this will show up how well you are cancelling out the room reflections/nulls/re-infircements.

Depending on your preference then you could really optimise and go for a flat response (studio monitor like) or more likely a 6db drop between 50hz and 15khz with a steady round off either side which is more of a hifi profile. Thus may be difficult without active room correction but may be possible to get close.

6. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Yep really don’t mind spending time on the room as long as it’s going to sound good . Problem is at the min it in a room 15 x 17 so it will be quite a big drop but saying that it’s in a living room full of other stuff at the min . Room eq software is a great idea .

Trying to find similar rooms that have been done before but so far nothings coming up .

7. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    this kit is about to be released, maybe worth a read -

SHD series

if not their standard dirac box may be useful.

8. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Brilliant will look now thank you

9. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    If speakers are say 6ft apart how much room would I need behind me if the room is only 10ft wide 11ft long .

10. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    As said, I would start at 1’ and then go from there, they are front ported which helps, further from the wall should reduce bass, nearer emphasise.

11. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Only problem
    Is if I buy the house and it does not work I’m stuck
    . Will keep trying google to see what other people have done with these small rooms .

12. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    Must admit that I would not base the decision to buy a house or not on the fact that a pair of £800 (sh price) will work in a specific room or not. If they do not then there is a healthy sh market for kef reference and you could sell them and get a pair of r300’s or ls50’s which may suit the room better for no additional cost without loosing the Kef signature sound.

Just my opinion.

13. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Ha ha. I not buying the house on the kefs . I will never sell them as had them from new nearly 20 years old and like new . No the problem
    Is trying to find a house with in my budget to house my large av system and separate audio room. Problem is the houses we are looking at only have around 10-12 feet to play with as will be using one of the spare bedrooms for the audio room .

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  14. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Reading through these postings, a few things come to mind. If you want pure unadulterated sound, get very good earphones. But since you want to achieve this with loudspeakers in a small room, you do need to measure the rooms response. There is no alternative to actual measurement. . Can we assume that at present, it is a bare box, ?. It will sound much different when carpets, sofas etc are added...
    There are plenty of low cost audio spectrum analysers and sound generators available at pocket money prices for smartphones, they don't meet national standards levels of quality assurance, but they certainly good enough for any audiophile, and much more sensitive and reliable than ones ears.

15. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks Dannnielll

we haven’t bought the house yet and are currently down to two possible houses but problem I’m having is I can’t try the room and kit it out before we buy . And struggling to work out if it’s even do able in a room that size . IE. how wide speakers speakers would need to be apart and how far I would need to be from them . Plus not sure if i would need need to have room behind my listing position . 12 ft seems to be a very short distance .

16. Spider1967

Spider1967
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With this size room you would be potentially overloading certain frequencies with these speakers (and certain frequencies would not fully form in this room) I would suggest blocking the ports with socks,towels etc till you find a balanced bass response ( the better the port is sealed the more the speaker acts like a sealed box enclosure which reduces bass for a given size of enclosure compared to most other vented enclosures but has a faster response and sounds “smaller” for want of a better word. I think this is the way to go for these speakers in a small room. I also have to point out that putting nearly every speaker against a wall (unless it was designed to be positioned this way) is adding a lot of garbage. Let someone listen to you talking loudly as you go from the middle of the room to the wall where your speakers reside and you will realise how much the wall reemphorsement adds to and muddies the sound.

17. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks Spider . The kefs do have boundary screws so can sit close to the front walls . Like the foam idea in the ports . Makes a lot of sense .

18. Spider1967

Spider1967
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask what boundary screws are with respect to loudspeakers. There have been many designs of ported loudspeaker that have been supplied with “port bungs” when used against or close to a wall and they reduce the bass frequencies that the wall accentuates, or at least remove some of the undesirable boosted bass frequencies that a wall brings to the equation

19. Higibuilder

Higibuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    CE8B1A14-A5B6-4753-89AE-89F150C9CAFE.jpeg There’s a reversible screw in the back of the kef crossover . There’s a compensation device – switch-able attenuation of the bass output for use in small rooms or for positioning close to the room boundaries.