1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decorating the room...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sorcery, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Ok the time has come to start decorating my new cinema room. What sort of colours do people recommend for the walls / ceiling?

I was planning on a dark blue or dark purple for the walls - would this be ok?

Also is it worth painting the ceiling around the area where the screen is? [Perhaps half of the room with one colour ceiling and the other half white?]

Since I was thinking of constructing a screen from ply or mdf what would be the recommended way of attaching this to the wall?

Cheers,
    Nick

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not so much a PJ question as a general HC one??? Maybe better in general hardware/diy.

3. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I realise that the original post came across as very vague!

:D

In short I am planning to use a DLP projector in the cinema room and wondered what colours were best to bring out the picture on the screen. [I understand that pastel shades / white is bad because it would wash out the picture]

:)

I will repost in the other forum...

Cheers,
    Nick

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    I have a dedicated room, and used Kodak 18% Grey for the top half of the walls and ceiling (6000N mixed from a Dulux mixing machine) .

The screen wall is black carpet, and the floor carpet is deep red. The lower side walls are grey carpet to match the Kodak Grey.

The rear wall is a deep red like the carpet. Skirting is blackboard paint.

Not a dungeon, but works well for watching films (no reflections) and is bright enough when when the lights are on.

Dark matt colours are best of course, as you don't want any reflected light from the screen bouncing back off of the walls and effecting the image. Grey is ideal because it is neutral and will not affect the screen image. There are some pics on my web site if you're interested.

Gary.