Decorating questions (sorry!!) - colour scheme / what about paper and dado?!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by chippyteaforme, Aug 28, 2012.

1. chippyteaforme

chippyteaforme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    ... I'm terrible at wall colours and stuff, and am decorating the downstairs of the house at the moment... not been done for about 20 years, and needs 'bringing up to date'. We are having new flooring put down throughout the ground floor of the house, and so I'm decorating the rooms (painting walls / ceilings) before this is done, makes sense, I don't mind the carpet having paint on because it's being ripped out in two weeks :thumbsup:

The flooring is going to be this : Kansas Antique Medium Oak | Floors 2 Go

... throughout the whole downstairs. Went for this style as dad in a wheelchair, will be much easier to get around on this than it was with old carpet. Also it's got an 'aged' look, so doesn't matter if it gets the odd bit of damage :)

Regarding colours - what kind of wall colours will go with that kind of floor? I'm very much into practicality, if it were down to me I'd have every room in every house done in brilliant white, I'm that sad :laugh:

Also... one room (the hallway) is going to be a complete pain in the arse. It's got a dado rail about 3ft up the wall, paint above (pink silk finish I think) and wallpaper below (two layers I think, looks like it was green originally based on some visible behind a radiator, now it's a kind of pinky colour).

Will I be better off just removing the rail, stripping the wallpaper, and painting? Someone has told me I can paint straight over paper, but I'm a believer in doing stuff properly first time :smashin:

2. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,829
    Bringing up to date & keeping dado rail aren't the same thing :)

Rip it all off, make as good as you can & you may find lining paper is probably a good idea under paint to make the walls appear smoother. There's nothing wrong with going for a white(ish) colour throughout, would go well with that floor colour & freshen everything up

3. chippyteaforme

chippyteaforme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I agree with the dado rail, never liked the bloody things! Dad is keen on keeping it, but I'm sure I can win him round :)

The colour scheme in the house is utterly baffling, the rooms have been done 'as and when' and really don't fit, I want to actually have a consistent theme throughout... the downstairs bathroom I've done in all brilliant white, and I'll probably carry that on into the 'utility' room where the washer and dryer are, because it makes sense. Next is the kitchen and I come a bit unstuck there. Pine units, stainless sink, hob, oven and microwave. Not sure if white would be suitable or if I should go for a white with a 'hint' of something else.

The hallway... not sure if all white looks a bit uninviting? :)