Decoding Sony CRT model numbers

Handsolo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having recently had both my CRT televisions fail in quick succession (a twenty year old Sony, and a ten year old Panasonic), I am currently looking for another TV. As it seems to me that this is a very bad time to be buying a new TV (a discussion in itself) I am looking for a secondhand one. Specifically, I am looking for a Sony Trinitron CRT television, fairly large screen (27 - 29 inch) 4:3 format, and I am confused by the huge range of models that Sony have produced. Can anyone point me at some sort of reference source that holds details of the features of each model - or is there some way of decoding these numbers so that I can work it out for myself? I'm talking about the ones that start with KV- (e.g. KV-29F1U). I hope this won't immediately identify me as the forum luddite.

go for the sony KV-29LS30U a truly excellent set, ive had mine just over 5 yrs not a problem at all :smashin:

Thanks, but it depends (at the moment) on what is offered on Ebay. One of the most common sets advertised is the KV-29F1U for example. What is the difference between that and say, the KV-29F3U, or the KV-29XVU (or X5U)?

Handsolo said:
Thanks, but it depends (at the moment) on what is offered on Ebay. One of the most common sets advertised is the KV-29F1U for example. What is the difference between that and say, the KV-29F3U, or the KV-29XVU (or X5U)?

If it's any help,

KV-29F1U built 1996 uses BE3D chassis
KV-29F3U built 1997 uses BE3D chassis
KV-29X5U built 1998 uses FE1 chassis

These are the only differencies I know of...you could always try googling the model no and see what comes up...you may find what model has what features etc.

they are all black, the one i said at the start is silver, ill psot some pics of mine 21" version but its pretty much the EXACT same thing as the 29" just mine has buttons on the front the 29" version has a cool slick slide compartment on the right hand revealing the phone inputs/vol/scart/channel ect

I have the KV29X5U.
It is black and has nicam, but not surround sound.
From what I remember, when I bought it six years ago it was the most compact 29" by Sony (slimmer speaker grilles at the sides).

Legendary said:
Is there are any way to tell me which one is silver ?

There was a 29'' Wega model which was silver...Costco sold it until around 18 months ago for a very attractive price.Unfortunately i can't recall the model,KV29?

lynx said:
There was a 29'' Wega model which was silver...Costco sold it until around 18 months ago for a very attractive price.Unfortunately i can't recall the model,KV29?

HAVE A SONY KV2752 STILL LOOKING GOOD

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom