1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decoding DTS with Arcam DV79

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by SL Boy, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased an DV79 and a Rotel 1068 processor and am very pleased with the performance of this combination but do sometimes have a problem when playing DTS encoded DVDs. Having selected DTS from the options menu, the disc will start to play in DTS but if I need to pause the disc, for eaxmple to take a phone call, when I resume the 1068 has reverted to Prologic where it sticks. I am then unable to hear anything when the picture continues and cannot select either Doby Digital or DTS to sort the problem. I have to switch the 1068 off and on again.

Is this normal with the 1068/DV79 combination? I am told that the likely problem is the Arcam isnt sending the DTS signal to the processor properly but my dealer hasnt been able to provide a solution. It has been suggested that I change to another make of DVD player but the DV79 is ideal for for my needs (feeding HDMI into a Pioneer 504 HDE) and performs faultlessly otherwise. Any ideas?

2. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the same problem sometimes. My DV88+ worked perfectly well with my old Yamaha AV amp, but the upgrade to the Rotel processor exposed this particular problem.

When I upgraded my DVD player to the latest firmware, the problem seemed to happen less frequently, leading me to believe it was the Arcam at fault somehow.

Then I swapped in my old Marantz DVD player and it also suffered from the same problem (albeit to an even lesser extent than the post-upgrade Arcam player)

Bottom line is: the Rotel appears to be fussy about the format / flags of the input digital stream, and neither of my players is perfect in this regard.

I'm still hoping the next Rotel firmware (whenever that appears) will banish this "feature" forever...

3. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your response hazard. I made a post on the Rotel forum earlier and the conclusion seemed to be that it wasnt the Rotel that was at fault as such but was contributing to the problem; as you say it appears to be fussy about the input stream from some players.

Unfortunately I dont have any news on new Rotel firmware to solve this problem which as far as I am concerned is unacceptable. I should add that it sometimes takes two or three tries for my system to recognise that I want to play in DTS when selecting the audio menu at the start of a film which is almost as frustrating.

As this problem occurs with some players and not others I am tempted to reject the Arcam in favour of another player.

Before I do this, as I like the DV79 performance, perhaps someone from Arcam can review this matter and say whether or not the DV79 does have this inherent problem when interfacing to the Rotel 1068.

Thanks a lot

4. SL Boy

SL Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would appreciate if someone from Arcam could respond. THanks.