Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Decoding Dolby Digital/DTS

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by malcolm mccabe, Dec 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I have a DVD88 Plus and an AVR200, is there a way of selecting which one decodes DD/DTS sound, it's not clear as both suggest they are performing the decoding of material. Is there a difference when using the co-ax or phono out connects?

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Malcom

If you use the analogue outputs of the DV88 then the DV88 is doing the decoding. If you use the digital output of the DV88 then the AVR200 is doing the decoding.

Some people say the AV receiver is better at decoding than the DVD player. I would try each and see which you prefer.

Hope that helps

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The DV88 Plus does not have Dolby nor DTS decoders. It just outputs the DD/DTS multichannel bitstream via the digital connector(s) and the AV200 receiver does the decoding. The phono out connectors output a analog stereo soundtrack.

Typically, CDs will sound better using the nalog stereo outputs. With DD/DTS movies you'll want to use the digital output since you have a DD/DTS surround receiver.

If you want a player with DD/DTS decoders builtin, you'll need one that is DVD-A capable (DV89, DV79, DV27A, DV29), or have your DV88 upgraded to DVD-A (making it a DV89).

Dean

4. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

The reason I'm asking is because I'm having some problems with Dolby Digital material. After warmup (20 mins) a DD soundtrack exhibits some high pitched noises from all speakers, whilst this is not evident on the same disc outputting a DTS sound. I've tried another DVD player, same, changed to outputting thru the phone, not high pitched but there definately is some crackling going on. I wondered if I could switch to check out whether it was the DVD player or the AVR causing the problems. (although AVR has been back to ARCAM for a new board). From the replies, it would appear it is the digital output stage of the DVD player? This sound reasonable?