Answered Decoder showing PCM for Dolby or DTS

YeongTae

Novice Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm totally ignorant about this kind of stuff - I've only ever owned one home audio system, and I bought it about 15 years ago. I have a question about that system, actually.

First of all, the system is the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 and the DTS/Dolby decoder which sold separately but was made specifically for this system. I had this system in storage for about 12 years now, since I moved to a different country, but finally decided to ship this thing to where I currently live as I have no intention of ever moving back to my hometown. I got it all plugged in to my PS4 and fired up a blu-ray (Captain America: Civil War to be precise), but I noticed that the decoder reads "PCM" instead of DTS or Dolby. I checked the sound settings in the PS4 and made sure that it was set to Bitstream DTS, and it does accurately show DTS (or Dolby) when I am in the PS4 menus. But once I start up the movie, it changes to PCM and I was initially only getting 2.1 sound. However, I switched ProLogic on and then it changed to 5.1 - and as far as I can tell, it actually is working as 5.1. I held the satellite speakers close to my ears and the front, rear, and center speakers were all getting a different set of sounds (I tested the scene where Captain America pulls down the helicopter, and you can hear the blades whirling and parts breaking in a circular motion around the speakers - so I'm pretty sure the sounds in the rear speakers are not just being copied from the center or front channels)...so it seems to be working like it's supposed to....but I'm curious as to why it just shows PCM...and wondering if that is a big problem or if there is a solution.

I'm assuming it is because my decoder only works for older versions of DTS/Dolby, and not the current HD audio on blu-ray? Will the PCM with Prologic still be OK, or should I look for a new decoder? I love the sound of this system - my brother has a logitech 5.1 system, but the Klipsch just sounds way better to me. So I'm looking to buy a newer "modern" system with the current technology. Any info or tips appreciated.

If only indicating PCM as the incoming audio format then this is what the source is outputting.

The PS4 is a strange one and requires that you perform some additional configurations to enable it to bitstream audio sourced via DVD and or Blu-ray discs. While playing a disc, you need to press the OPTION button on the PS4's controller and select SETTINGS. Set the AUDIO FORMAT setting to BITSTREAM (DIRECT).

The console will retain and use these settings with all future discs or until you change these settings to something else.

Thanks, that did the trick. I didn't realize that I needed to change the audio format in the settings while the blu-ray was playing. Now everything is working perfectly!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom