1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decoder or Receiver? How to add 2 rear speakers to my Hi Fi

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by w5moss, Jan 17, 2003.

1. w5moss

w5moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have searched the archives unsuccessfully to what must be a common question. I have a good naim Hifi 2 channel system, and currently watch films through this, with the TV being centre stage. Domestic restrictions prevent a separate 5 channel AV system, so I need to just add some rear speakers - I think. 400 pounds is my budget. The question is this - is there a 1 box approach that includes a decoder and amplifier for 2 additional speakers. If so, do I get an AV amp, or decoder? Are decoders available with an integrated amp for rear speakers. Also , will I really miss a centre front speaker - I don't at present with my 2 speaker set up.
    I hope someone can shed some light.

2. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    such a product does indeed exist...
    Yamaha DSPe800
    processor/ 3 channel amp

i would def. get centre as well. phantom mode didn't work for me.

however, i'd wait a while

the e800 is out of date- no Dolby ProLogic 2, no 6.1 etc. Its £349 incidentally, RRP.

3. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The Yamaha e800 is £284.99 at www.hifibitz.com

w5 is right it has no Dolby ProLogic II, you might do better with an AV Receiver and run the Naim amplifer for Hifi.

4. w5moss

w5moss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Rozza - Would in your opinion it be a mistake to put an inferior speaker in the middle compared to Left and right? I'm thinking that inferior rears would not be a problem, but assume the middle should be more carefully matched. Also anyone any alternatives to the above Yamaha that include Prologic 2?
    Sorry if this all seems obvious, but I've scoured the archives and can't find the question raised before.:confused:

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Quite right. get a speaker which closely matches you fronts for a uniform soundstage. An exact match is ideal. :)

As for amps, look at a Yamaha DSPAX 530 or 630. It has all the latest features/formats you need. Connect it to the centre and rears, leaving the main Naim to run the fronts.

Alternatively if you feel the Yamaha sound is a bit too warm next to your brighter Naim kit, check out a Sony amp like the 1080.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    You should try to match the front three channels ... otherwise when you get voices, etc panning from left, through centre, to right the tone will change. You don't say what speakers you have for 2 channel but you really do need a centre ... phantom mode isn't a good substitute (IMO). The rear channels matter less in the balance.

As for alternatives to the Yamaha E800 with PLII, etc ... basically any AV Amp / Reciever will do the job you are wanting it to. Look at things like the Marantz SR4300 and SR5300 (around £250 and £350 respectively - prices from memory) the Yamaha AX630 (£330) and the Denon 2802 (£450). Of course as you spend more the feture count and (usually) the quality will increase - you don't state what your budget is - the vital feature you need on the AV Amp is that it has pre-out connections, so you can connect the front channels into your Naim kit.

Of course your other alternative is to investigate the Naim processor and power amps but this will cost considerably more than the other options.

Victoria

7. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sevenoaks are doing the E800 for £269.95 I got one just after xmas along with an Arcam A85, KEF Q9C, Kef Q5 and Pioneer 656 DVD

8. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    blimy... a lady on a hifi forum...
    don't get that on groovehandle...:D