1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decoder/Amp Combo with Pre-outs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wildej, Oct 28, 2002.

1. wildej

wildej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Need a little help here from people who know or may own something liek this.

I'm looking for a cheapish decoder/5.1 amp preferrably with DTS as well as DD with 5 of those little satelite speakers and a sub. But it needs to also have pre-amp out on the 5 channels or at least the fronts. I'm not looking for anything high-end just something from one of the usual suspects, sony etc.

I suppose its pretty obvious why! But anyway to check my logic, I want to continue to use my hi-fi amp and speakers for the front without spending loads on a decoder and power amps for the rear and centre. My Arcam can be switched on DVD/AV to accept pre-amp input and adjust with the volume of the decoder pre-amp.

Every little system I've looked at so far doesn't have this, in fact most have very little in the way of outputs at all.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

John

2. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi john

What about somthing like the Yamaha DSP E800 processor, as far as i know it will decode 5.1/DTS in to 6 pre-outs but also puts out 3 speaker channels for centre and surround, im not sre on the power of them but it will let you do everything you want with keeping your arcam for the front end.

cheers
    lee

just had a quick look and found this, you`l have to pick processors then yamaha:D

3. wildej

wildej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, thats certainly something I didn't know about and gives me something to think on.

After writing the post it occured to me that I have a spare Denon amp floating about that might just serve as a rear power amp leaving me just needing a DSP and something to power the centre.

This is out of date and to high end, but I think Cyrus used to make a DPL processor called the AVMaster or something. As I understood this was a straight multi channel processor but had a mono power from the centre included. You dont know of anything like that around now with the DD and DTS?

Cheers again for the suggestions.

John

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Check out the Marantz range.

If you want a real bargain get an SR4200 (being replaced by the SR4300) for £200 from Richer Sounds (if they have any left ;) ). This has amps for all 5 channels (but you don't have to use them all), pre-outs for all channels and Pro Logic 2.

Most of their receivers/amps have pre-outs for all the channels, the same was not true for the comparable Denons or Yamahas.

Sadly there are very few processors designed to be "added into" an existing hi-fi (can only think of the DSP E800).

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    After writing the post it occured to me that I have a spare Denon amp floating about that might just serve as a rear power amp leaving me just needing a DSP and something to power the centre.

Nope. If you get the above mentioned Yamaha DSP-E800 it will power center and rears, so ideally it's partnered with an existing stereo amp (driving the fronts).
    In fact that would suit your existing setup perfectly but keep in mind that the E800 is a bit dated now and doesn't have all the latest decoding (DPLII etc.). If you only want DD and DTS in 5.1 then it's fine though.

Thus alternatively you can buy any integrated AV amp/receiver with Pre-Outs (for the fronts). The internal front amplification will be redundant but it will be cheaper than any AV pre-amp which usually cost you at least 4-figure sums.