1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decode Sound External Dvd By Software / Sound Card Pc

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by w8andc, Oct 25, 2002.

1. w8andc

Standard Member

Oct 25, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I was searching through the internet to find an answer to my problem.

Maybe you can give me some answers?

I would enlarge my home cinema system from 5.1 to 7.1.
    I have a great receiver almost 2 years: LUXMAN RV-491 which has many analog and digital inputs and outputs. The decoders inside can decode a DVD signal
    in Dolby Digital (or DTS) in 5.1 channels.
    This receiver is also prepared with 7.1 analog inputs (output from external decoder).

Because I'm a computer minded person and I don't want to by another expensive receiver/decoder set top box, I want to experiment with my computer.
    At this moment I have a Creative Live Player 1024 sound card, but I want to buy an other card which can deliver 7.1 sound to my receiver (M-audio Delta 410 or Hoontech Media 7.1 or Hercules Game Theater XP 7.1).
    I have looking through the internet and I read many reviews.

What do I want to do?

I want to send the sound of my external DVD player by digital output (s/pdif or optical) to the digital input of the soundcard (rack). The decoding of Dolby Digital (or DTS) should happen through my PC (sound card / software).
    Afterwards the decoded signal can be send to my receiver to be amplified.

Can I use f.e. PowerDVD PRO EX or WinDVD 4.0 to decode the digital signal without using an internal DVD-rom?
    If not, maybe other software?
    Maybe it isn't possible yet. Something for the future or totally unreal?

Hopefully you can give me satisfying answers.
  2. Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

No, not at present.

Exactly, answered your own question ;)

BTW, welcome to avforums.