Decode DTS on HTPC or receiver?

dvazriel

Standard Member
Hi,
I recently added a 2.1 setup ( Sony HTCT100 ) that can take DTS.

My setup is HTPC <HDMI> TV <Optical>Receiver.

I am playing MKV's with DTS audio, and i can setup VLC player to decode and send PCM to the receiver or use S/PDIF and send it over as DTS.

Which approach would be better? or does it even matter?

Thanks!

bryanchicken

Novice Member
Is your htpc connected directly to the receiver at all? Or is it all going through the tv?

the optical cable can only take 2 channels of pcm. So, unless your tv can re-encode it back to DTS you are better off passing it through to the receiver to decode.

ytrebil

Novice Member
I would always pass through audio for an AVR to decode if you are directly connected to it from the HTPC. As I’ve found, it can be quite tricky when messing about with codecs and what to change.

dvazriel

Standard Member
Is your htpc connected directly to the receiver at all? Or is it all going through the tv?

the optical cable can only take 2 channels of pcm. So, unless your tv can re-encode it back to DTS you are better off passing it through to the receiver to decode.

All my devices ( PS3, Xbox, HTPC ) connect to my TV first using separate HDMI channels. The receiver gets the audio from the TV optical out.

wolvers

Novice Member
I would always pass through audio for an AVR to decode if you are directly connected to it from the HTPC. As I’ve found, it can be quite tricky when messing about with codecs and what to change.

Totally agree with that. Doing it at the AVR is much less hassle.

All my devices ( PS3, Xbox, HTPC ) connect to my TV first using separate HDMI channels. The receiver gets the audio from the TV optical out.

That's not ideal tbh. If I was you I'd be investing in an AVR with at least 3 HDMI in, so that you can do the source switching at the AVR. You'll get proper HD audio as well then.

dvazriel

Standard Member
The CT100 does indeed have 3 HDMI ins. The reason i was reluctant of passing everything to the receiver first ( specially the PS3 and XBox ) is because i was worried about introducing input lag by routing everything via the receiver.

I am not very concerned with true HD audio since the AVR can only decode Dolby 5.1 and DTS anyways, it doesn't support any of the lossless hd formats.

Optical is enough to handle DD5.1 and DTS just fine right?

bryanchicken

Novice Member

wolvers

Novice Member
The CT100 does indeed have 3 HDMI ins. The reason i was reluctant of passing everything to the receiver first ( specially the PS3 and XBox ) is because i was worried about introducing input lag by routing everything via the receiver.

I am not very concerned with true HD audio since the AVR can only decode Dolby 5.1 and DTS anyways, it doesn't support any of the lossless hd formats.

Optical is enough to handle DD5.1 and DTS just fine right?

I'd still be switching at the receiver. That's basically what they are made for! :suicide:

dvazriel

Standard Member
Found out the hard way that my Samsung TV doesn't pass DTS over optical but do DD 5.1 just fine. A google search reveals that is pretty common with Samsungs :I

I ended up routing the HTPC via the AVR to get DTS, but left the gaming consoles directly connected to the TV and sending DD over optical. I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to gaming and input lag.

Seems like a good compromise since i won't be playing TrueHD anytime soon with $200 speaker bar setup anyways.

spacemanc

Hi,
My setup is HTPC <HDMI> TV <Optical>Receiver.

I am playing MKV's with DTS audio, and i can setup VLC player to decode and send PCM to the receiver or use S/PDIF and send it over as DTS.

You'll only be able to send DTS from your HTPC if your motherboard/soundcard supports DTS. Most soundcards do, but if you are using onboard sound, then only high end models tend to support DTS. Alot of them have "DTS Surround Sensation" which is a bit misleading if you have a 5.1 system because its basically for 2.1 systems - but as you have a 2.1 system then maybe you'll be ok.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom