Decisions - smashed screen iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by bl0at3r, Feb 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bl0at3r

bl0at3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I have had my iPhone 4S 64gb for approx 15 months, 2 weeks ago I dropped it face down and the screen has smashed. Touch screen and all other features work fine so I am struggling to decide what to do next...

1. Continue using it - I have put some clear Sellotape over it to stop me getting cut.
    2. Spend £50ish on a replacement (and potentially inferior) screen and risk taking the whole phone to bits with my ham fisted'ness.
    3. Spend £140 for an official apple replacement and continue using the 4S for another year.
    4. Sell the damaged phone on eBay for £185 and buy an iPhone 5 64b from apple store.

The phone is not on a contract - I on sim only tariff - I bought it unlocked from apple in November 2011.

Help :lease:

2. JemTheWire

JemTheWire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Personally, I couldn't use a phone covered in Cellotape. Similarly I would rather pay Apple to replace the screen with a 100% genuine one. If I didn't I would find myself constantly checking the screen an thinking 'would the Apple one be better etc...'

So this leaves the option to sell and buy a replacement.

If you get £185 that's good. I would sure want another iPhone. If you wait too long and Apple announce a new model the second hand value of yours will plummet.

I would sell as is, and buy an iPhone 5. There is always a new model round the corner.....I have an iPhone 5 32GB and it is a great phone. Not leaps and bounds better than the iPhone 4s so don't expect a great deal of difference. And there is 'scuffgate' to consider...

3. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The 4s 64gb is a great phone. Bite the bullet and get it done by Apple. If you weren't already using one, get a decent case and screen protector...

4. Bill Badger

Bill Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've changed the screen assembly on my son's iPhone, and as long as you are methodical and have good eyesight, it's not too difficult. Unless it's within warranty, there is no way I could justify paying £140 for Apple to replace the screen.

The screen I bought cost £20.00 on Ebay, and the images are every bit as good as those on my iPod Touch.

Each to his own of course, but it worked out well for me and I actually enjoyed the challenge!

5. UEF

UEF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Yup. The third party stuff, even if you get it done by a market stall, is generally excellent

6. bl0at3r

bl0at3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I went to Apple and got a replacement device :smashin: