decisions on a player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by monkeyboy69, Apr 2, 2002.

1. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there
    looking for a player in the 1000 ukp market and I've several on the short list and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Its being output to a 36 '' panasonic, through a sony str 930 (hopefully to be upgraded to the denon av se10 , I think it is)
    anyway , it must be able to handle any format thrown at it and obviously be be multi region. A quick layer change would be nice as well
    the short list are
    arcam dv 88
    arcam fmj 27
    cyrus dvd 7
    toshiba 900 se
    myryad mdv 200

or perhaps someone could suggest another make. Obviously with the CRT telly I have I won't be using progressive scan and don't think I'll be upgrading in the near future.
    This is primarly gong to be used as a dvd player but occasioanllly will be used for cd playing.
    any help would be appreciated

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Of the list you have, I´d be looking at either the Arcam DV27 or the Toshiba 900 (this is due to be replaced soon though).

Both have top notch video playback (and Prog scan for future use). The Arcam has better cd playback I.M.O but the Toshiba can be had for around 700 quid now so its a LOT cheaper its also got DVD Audio if you fancy that.

As with all things you need to demo the different players and buy what you think is best.

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    If progressive scan is not a priority, you should consider the Sony 9000ES. It does PS on NTSC material, not PAL. I compared it with the DV88 and the Tosh 900 and thought it better than the former and on a par with the latter. In the end I chose the Sony because it was available and on offer at £850 multiregion.

Let me say I have not regretted the choice - picture quality is stunning. Mind you I think all the players in this price range are superb - it'll probably come down to finding the right deal on one of them.

4. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

I`ve owned a Sony DVPS9000ES since they were released August 2000, and I have never really rated it that much:( Having compared it to a Arcam FMJ27 and Pioneer DV747A, I`d suggest you consider either the Arcam or the Cheaper Pioneer.

Hope that helps.