Decisions Decisions

muzstar

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Looking to purchase a Plasma screen and after weeks for reading feel like my heads gonna explode.

Anyway - Viewing Distance will be 7-11 Feet
Will be connected to Upscaling DVD Player, V+ and in a few months PS3.

We watch a lot of SD stuff, divx tv shows and some HD Currently.

I have considered the following

42"

Panasonic TH42PX80B - £655 - 5 Year Warranty

50"

Samsung PS50Q97HDX - £675 - 1 Year Warranty
Panasonic TH50PX70B - £820 - 3 Year Warranty

You guys have any opinions on what I should go for? Picture Quality wise, price wise, reliability wise, physical looks etc...

Thanks In Advance

you'll save yourself some time by simply inputting those models to the 'search this forum' box at the top.

@Brooktop - cheers as mentioned in first post already done, but information I found was too much and all over the place. I've been for example reading the TH50PX70 owners thread but most of it is where to find it cheaper rather than opinions etc. In the end i decided to post the thread up

@dclayton - thanks I'll defo take it in to consideration. One question though, from what I had been reading I was under the impression a lower res screen should display SD material better than 1080p and considering alot of stuff is SD upscaled I geared this way. Is this not the case?

Thanks again

Not really, it all depends on how good the algorithms are more than the raw pixel count.

I'd still get the PX80 out of that selection.

Not really, it all depends on how good the algorithms are more than the raw pixel count.

No matter how good the algorithms are, when it comes to filling extra empty pixels with colors that depends on the adjacent pixels will definitely be inferior. So i support the fact that 720p will show SD better than on a 1080p panel.

I'd still get the PX80 out of that selection.

Do you suggest to take PX80 out of the selection merely due to its 42" size? In that case i agree that at 11 feet its better to get away with a bigger size 50".

I'm gonna pop into a currys today and check out 50px70 and try and convince them to let me try different sources.

I've seen the PX80, its decent but I feel like it may be too small. Need to have another look at the room tonight and see

Isn't it also true that SD performance may depend on scaling done a) internally in the panel vs b) externally e.g. by a DVD player? I've seen tests indicating that in some constellations the picture is significantly better if the DVD player sends the original resolution (i.e SD) to the panel and lets the panel do the scaling than the opposite (Pioneers remarkable signal processing being one example). Thus, the choice of DVD player and choice of which hardware does the scaling might be important too?

At 50" you would see a difference between 720p and 1080p, particularly if you intend to connect a PC to it.

I have the Samsung PS50P96FD and can highly recommend that.

Word of warning on that Samsung, it is "end of life". In so far as Curry's can no longer order it for you, for example. I tried to buy one at the end of April.

Viewed the TH50PX70 today. Wasn't too impressed tbh.

I'm thinking of going for a 42". That way if I decide I want a 50 down the line I have an excuse to relegate it to the bedroom:devil:

I'm Now thinking either

Panasonic TH42PZ70B - £820 - 3 Year Warranty

At 42" and 8ft plus I'm thinking the PX80B over the PZ70B?

Viewed the TH50PX70 today. Wasn't too impressed tbh.

I'm thinking of going for a 42". That way if I decide I want a 50 down the line I have an excuse to relegate it to the bedroom:devil:

I'm Now thinking either

Panasonic TH42PZ70B - £820 - 3 Year Warranty

At 42" and 8ft plus I'm thinking the PX80B over the PZ70B?

I had to make a similar decission a few weeks ago, after viewing the PX80 against 1080P panels I went for the PX80.
Excellent SD quality, and downloaded TV shows in divx look great, downloaded 720P TV shows played off the xbox look stunning :)

Decided on the 42PX80 and John Lewis Solihull refused PriceMatch againt S&V saying it wasnt on the shelf :(

Anyone who has got a successful price match at JL, could you PM me your name and PriceMatch Number. According to the JL Thread they should then honour it for me too :lease:

Thanks In Advance

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom