Decisions decisions...

blackobsidian

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I briefly mentioned in another thread that I'm deciding on the best use of cash for a new entertainment centre. I've read and re-read and read again a LOT of threads in here and I've almost decided on the setup I'll be going for but I'd like to make sure and get some comments before I shell out. :)

TV = Sagem HDD50H G4 T/2 (£1250.00)
DVD = Sony DVPNS76H (£86.99)
Sky+ HD
DVE Calibrator
Ixos Cabling
Possibly an XBox 360 (still debating on this one!)

The only thing I think I'm waivering on is the TV... Do I go for a 50" Sagem which everyone seems to love or the Sagem Axium-HDD56 for £1200?

Will be heading to Tottenham Ct Road over the weekend to check out some models hopefully but any ideas or comments warmly welcomed!

Cheers folks! :clap:

personally the extra 6" is worth having, i read thatit gives you something like 20% extra screen than a 50"...

DVD = Sony DVPNS76H (£86.99)

Why that DVD player ? just curious :)

yep , it seems to be very popular at the moment . I`m leaning that way myself , actually . I think an important consideration (if , like me, you are on a limited budget) is not to spend too much on a player we will want to change for blu-ray or HD-DVD or possibly a hybrid player if neither format becomes a clear winner .

I`m not a big gamer , but thinking about an X360 and PS3 as well in time . Having bought the 50" sony , I`m keen to see it at its best and X360 owners have given it great reviews .

I`m not saying anything new , but hope this helps :) .

Precisely. Not too pricey but a nice player until the end of the year when the "war" starts. Still debating about the 360 as I have a PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, SNES, Megadrive and DS (none of which I really use as I'm too busy playing pool, golf and watching series' and DVD's)

I am having the same decision problems regarding the 50 or the 56 on another thread.

I'm understanding that the 56 will give me even more value for money since I can get that for 1256 (Empire direct have raised their prices by £57 :thumbsdow ). But the 50 is a newer model and has more connectivity?

I'd be interested in your thoughts for your decision?

I've opted for the 50" :thumbsup:

I was really unsure which one to go for up until last night. 6" less but more connectivity or 6" more but less connectivity. I mentioned it to my slightly insane fiancée and the decision was made for me...

"Well if you get the 56" one it'll touch the curtains. I don't want it touching the curtains. I know that both the curtains and the TV will be fine but if I see it it'll bug me every time we watch TV. Get the 56" one if you want but then I'll take the curtains down and replace em with a blind." :nono:

Seemed like a lot of hassle and as I'm not fussed either way I opted for the 50"

Doesn't really help you much does it? :confused:

az33m said:
I'm understanding that the 56 will give me even more value for money since I can get that for 1256 (Empire direct have raised their prices by £57 :thumbsdow ). But the 50 is a newer model and has more connectivity? I'd be interested in your thoughts for your decision?

I'll make it a bit harder for you. Some claim the
56" has a better scaler and the H2+ chip gives a better picture (one mirror per pixel)
50" has better connectiverty and the H4 chip gives a better picture (one mirror for two pixels and a wobulator to deflect the mirror between the two pixels) but produces a nasty buzz.
Remember that newer is not always better, as manufacturers try and make items for less money and more profit.

Now try and choose!
PS I think unless you buy both and run them side by side you will never know.
PPS I got the 56" as it has 20% more screan area (how shallow is that)

Question... Does the 56" screen "buzz"? If there's a chance that the 50" will do my head in with buzzing I'll go 56" without hesitation...

56" defo doesn't buzz at all. for what its worth I thought there was now a fix for the 50" buzz???

blackobsidian said:
Question... Does the 56" screen "buzz"? If there's a chance that the 50" will do my head in with buzzing I'll go 56" without hesitation...

It's going to depend on what you call "buzz", and I believe different people have interpretted this in different ways. Here's my take on this:

Fan : Bottom-line - all Sagem's (and all RPTVs) have a fan. I found this completely unobtrusive on my 50" - minute background noise at worst. Some find the vanilla noise obtrusive and at least one person found a wire against the fan causing it to buzz that, when removed, was fine. So I'd call this hum (unless you have a wire against the fan :) ).

Wobulator : My Sagem 50" made a definite buzzing noise at start-up, just after the fan kicked in - this was a definite buzz, and not a hum. This was the wobulator starting and, from the experience of folk on here, there now seems to be a retrospective fix that sorts it (don't know if it's present by default on new issues). The 56" doesn't have a wobulator.

So - in summary, you'll get some fan hum with either the 50" or 56" - in my experience, it's nothing to worry about at all. You should get no buzz with the 56" as there shouldn't be anything to buzz, and you should get no buzz with a 50" either, if the wobulator fix has been applied.

Does that seem a reasonable summary from those that are still owners?

jon_c0 said:
So - in summary, you'll get some fan hum with either the 50" or 56" - in my experience, it's nothing to worry about at all. You should get no buzz with the 56" as there shouldn't be anything to buzz, and you should get no buzz with a 50" either, if the wobulator fix has been applied.

Yes, the fan noise from my 56" is not a problem. (My xbox is 10x louder)

jon_c0 said:
It's going to depend on what you call "buzz", and I believe different people have interpretted this in different ways. Here's my take on this:

Fan : Bottom-line - all Sagem's (and all RPTVs) have a fan. I found this completely unobtrusive on my 50" - minute background noise at worst. Some find the vanilla noise obtrusive and at least one person found a wire against the fan causing it to buzz that, when removed, was fine. So I'd call this hum (unless you have a wire against the fan :) ).

Wobulator : My Sagem 50" made a definite buzzing noise at start-up, just after the fan kicked in - this was a definite buzz, and not a hum. This was the wobulator starting and, from the experience of folk on here, there now seems to be a retrospective fix that sorts it (don't know if it's present by default on new issues). The 56" doesn't have a wobulator.

Yes - all I get on my 50" (post-wobulator fix) is the fan noise, which is not really noticeable unless you get up close to the set.

Pre-wobulator fix, the humming was intrusive and unacceptable. The fix removes it completely.

pjclark1 said:
I'll make it a bit harder for you. Some claim the
56" has a better scaler and the H2+ chip gives a better picture (one mirror per pixel)
50" has better connectiverty and the H4 chip gives a better picture (one mirror for two pixels and a wobulator to deflect the mirror between the two pixels) but produces a nasty buzz.
Remember that newer is not always better, as manufacturers try and make items for less money and more profit.

Now try and choose!
PS I think unless you buy both and run them side by side you will never know.
PPS I got the 56" as it has 20% more screan area (how shallow is that)

PJ

Have you got a piccie of your Sagem 56" ?

I've also got an old Panny 42" plasma monitor from avsales (saw your other thread re card fraud) , and I'm wanting to move to a 50+ " HD screen without taking out a 2nd mortgage, this looks like a good option.

56" looks good! :)

I went out yesterday to try and track down a DLP in Comet and Currys along Burlington Road/Kingston Road and found one in Currys. Have to say I was very disappointed with how central you have to be to view the DLP. It seems you have about 40 degrees to the left and right before it is unviewable and a lot less on the verticals.

Long story short though I decided to go smaller and opted for a Sony KDL40V2000 ordered a few mins ago from KK Electronics. I was going to go with John Lewis but they said it takes 7-10 days for a price promise to be processed etc and I'm impatient :p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom