Decisions decisions

seany

Ex Member
Reaction score
I’ve spent hrs on dpreview reading about lenses. I’ve narrowed it down now to a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens, the range is almost perfect for me. Drawbacks is that its large, and as it would be pretty much my everyday lens, the size could be a problem (standing out like a sore thumb ect) plus it’s 2.8 and I really like taking shots using available light, and 2.8 is not going to be enough in a lot of situations.

So the other options was an 17-40L for landscapes/architectural shots then a 50mm 1.4 prime and the 85 mm 1.8 usm for indoor and portrait shots.

So what do you boy’s recon?

I can't make up my mind.

Cheers

17-40 would be so much more useful if landscapes/buildings etc are important to you sean, you're just going to be able to fit so much more into the frame, looking to get a DSLR myself sometime this year, have Canon 35mm SlR so lenses should be fine ;)

Yeah i think the 17-40 will end up being the one, and if thats the case, what do you think about the 50 and 85, go for both or do you think the long end of the 17-40 is close enough for me to leave the 50 and get the 85mm?

Personally I'd forget the 50 and go for the 85 if those were my choices :rolleyes: God roll on my birthday :devil:

What have you got at the mo shaun - the kit lens?
If so, what sort of use are you getting from your lens - ie are you using the wide end more, or are you more inclined to use the long end? Or a bit of both?

I'm looking into getting a new dslr and a few 2.8s - seriously considering the Tamron Di 17-35 and the 28-75 and maybe summut like the Sigma 70-200 or the canon L 70 - 200 (even though its a f4). I'm trying to figure out what sort of range I use most and not over spend in the areas I rarely use. I've got a couple of weddings booked in later in the year to shoot -did a few last year and the most shots were take around 30-50 and the long end of a 200mm.

My point is - look at what you are likely to shoot (or anywhere where you feel you'd like to shoot) and invest in that range. You can always expand on your initial purchases so dont feel you have to cover a wide range from the word go.

thats a big thread - will have a read of it over the weekend... too late in the night to do it now!
I guess something like the 17-40 coupled with your 20d will be pretty useful as you can ramp up the sensitivity to 800 iso without too much noise and get some good results even in lowish light. Its not a badly priced lens either, especially when compared to the 24-70 - under 500quid from 7day shop and even cheaper if your source it from abroad.

What do you think of the images you're getting from your kit lens? Cos it might be worth getting something that complements its range - ie summut that covers 50mm+. I've got a couple of the cheap sigma DC range (18-50 and 55 - 200) which i bought when i was doing a bit of travelling (cheap and therefore not too worried if they get knocked about) and I really got a feel for what I used most often - the 55 - to 200 is a nice range on a dslr as it gives lots of scope for zooming right in on the subject (i wouldn't recomend that lens though unless you really want summut cheap and cheerful).

Its a tough decision to make though, where to spend your cash; got a feeling I'm gonna go down the Tamron route and see how i get on. Probably gonna wait til after the summer though and see what happens with the 350D - see if i can save a few hundred quid over the 20d and spend that cash on lenses. Got a house in france to finance first though so will have plenty of time to weigh up the options.

Like you say though - decisions, decisions.

Well mate i think i'd swap any lens you could think of for a house in france:laugh: The kit is ok its not great for indoors or i'm just too fussy. Check these out

http://www.pbase.com/edhahn/mostly_skansen taken with the 50mm, now they are just another world to the 18-55

http://www.pbase.com/joe_tn/2005 some great photos with just available light taken with the 85

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_85_18u 85mm

http://www.pbase.com/grafix72/the_hip might interest jamie (mr jones) http://www.pbase.com/drumminj/blueoctober

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Si i'm pretty much open to anything mate. checked ebay out and there's not much about kiddo.

7dayshop i've heard that sometimes you can end up being charged duty when things turn up, are they one to avoid?

seany said:
7dayshop i've heard that sometimes you can end up being charged duty when things turn up, are they one to avoid?

It looks like uk vat is now included in their prices so you shouldn't get hit with any duty charges.

A stunning new development in the Canon lens lineup....

....a new L (as in latte) lens from Canon, developed jointly with Starbucks Coffee. It is reported to be very good for mug shots. :D

Attachments

• Starbuck_Lens.jpg
    Starbuck_Lens.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 43
seany said:
I’ve spent hrs on dpreview reading about lenses.

I can't make up my mind.

Cheers

:D Man I know that feeling. I think I'm getting lens review blindness :rotfl:

Looking at new prices at internet sellers sites and completed item used selling prices on ebay (not the Hong Kong merchants) there is not that big a saving on used. I find that quite encouraging. It means if I buy a lens new and don't like it I can get most of my money back on ebay. It also means I can buy used on ebay and stand a good chance of selling again for the same money.

I've only spent a couple of days looking and my head is spinning one way learning which are the right type of lens and the other way trying to decide which ones I need.

Tamron and Sigma seem to have some fans for certain models so at the moment I'm considering the Tamron 28-75 XR Di as my everyday lens based on positive comments I've seen - some even saying its near Canon 'L' quality. Then you think... are they just saying that because they did not buy Canon lenses? The kit lens (20D) seems soft when wide open so that can go on ebay.

Something wide is next on the list. Anything in the 12mm area seems to be pricey (12 x 1.6 = 19mm effective). The Sigma 12-24mm EX zoom has some good comments but I'm not sure I need a wide angle zoom and it is expensive...more research needed.

When it comes to a long lens... I'd like one but I think I would only use it occaisionally. I learnt many years ago with a manual SLR so I'm just wondering if a cheaper 'obsolete' manual lens could be used with the 20D ? They seem to go quite cheap on ebay. So much stuff to learn :rolleyes:

RobertP said:
...I'm considering the Tamron 28-75 XR Di as my everyday lens based on positive comments I've seen - some even saying its near Canon 'L' quality. Then you think... are they just saying that because they did not buy Canon lenses?

I had a play with one of these the other week. It may be great optically but it does feel really cheap... its put me off buying this lens a little (and the 17-35 which has the same cheap feel to it). But for the price you do get a very respectable 2.8 lens... bit of a dilemma.

I'm gonna see if I can find somewhere that stocks the Sigma 20-40 f2.8 - a fairly obscure lens it seems in review terms but one that gets great results on photozone.de lens test - just below the 17-40L but of course the extra 3mm at the wide end is lost... but it is a 2.8. hmmm.

RobertP said:
When it comes to a long lens... I'd like one but I think I would only use it occaisionally. I learnt many years ago with a manual SLR so I'm just wondering if a cheaper 'obsolete' manual lens could be used with the 20D ? They seem to go quite cheap on ebay. So much stuff to learn :rolleyes:

You could do a lot worse that an old Canon 70-210. They go for peanuts on ebay but seem to perform well. Have a read of http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/toolbox3.htm

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom