1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, Decisions !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fjorko, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    OK, I'm on the verge of buying my very first Projector..

I drove past a Panasonic dealer today, and i quickly popped in just to enquire what they had on demo....

He showed me the AE500 of course, and in a less than ideal conditions and with NO adjustments at all (all defaults from the box) and using a S-Video lead, he had it already connected up, and projected it on a screen that apparently comes with the projector for free... ( looks cheap but does the job)

I have to say the picture was not bad at all !!!!!...Bit washed out, but as i said it was not yet tweaked in any way... and some of the shop lights were still on.

Now i KNOW i really need to wait for the AE700 that hopefully should arrive in shops around October ( my birthday month ! :D :D )....but........my wallet is burning a hole in my pocket and i can go to the shop TOMORROW and have an AE500 tomorrow morning !!!!!

Or i can get the TX-100 which i still am considering very strongly as well..

Why is making the decision so HARD ? The problem with me is ( unfortunately :thumbsdow ) that my wife will only let me buy a projector ONCE and not again :thumbsdow :thumbsdow , therefore i need to buy wisely, because i will probably not have the luxury to upgrade like others intend to do in a year or two down the line.... my first will probably also be my last if the missus have her ways

Can anyone that might have seen both the AE500/TX-100 please help me decide on these two, or even convince me in some bizzare manner to wait for the AE700 !!! or NOT ! :lease:

Cheers, and thanks for putting up with me ! :smashin:

PS. They want £1400 for it ( guess i was expecting that )

2. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi , thanks

I know it's difficult, but do you think the TX-100 might be better than the AE700 when it is finnally released ( Guess you cannot answer that one huh )

Well....i just wish i had more patience. Knowing myself very well, i'll be in that shop tomorrow morning telling the sales person "Go get me one ! :smashin: " and while i drive home with it, i'll wonder whether i shouldn't have rather bought the TX-100 :nono:

Damn, I sometimes hate myself for being a "gadget" freak !!!!!!! :mad:

...or maybe i should just get a Plasma ! LOL :rotfl:

4. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Best place to buy from ? i.e. That sells it for that price, plus that have good after sales support, and HAVE STOCK ? :thumbsup:

6. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know, that's your job! Do the research.

7. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    So where do you get the £1050 from then ?

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fjorko,

Check the websites of a few of the forum sponsors for price and give a couple of them a ring in the morning to see if they have stock............ I've seen a few of them advertise a price of around £1050/1100ish............ you're unlikely to be disappointed by either it or the AE500. See the discounttv offer on the forum..... cracking deal with a spare lamp if you think you won't be upgrading... a homemade screen with a black border for about £30 and you'll be away. The prospect of the AE700 shouldn't be an issue, while it should have some improvement over the AE500, the real issue is do you want to be getting yourself watching a big screen........... You could be here until doomsday waiting to see of the next model release will be better than whats available now - ultimately you can decide to sit it out or get watching movies the way they're supposed to be seen - 7 ft wide !

Get this into context................... 2 years ago I bought an AE100....... cost then, over £1550. I've had two years (1500 hrs +) of movie watching, priceless fun with my daughters and friends. Just finished watching stuff with Mrs Ritz, and guess what ? The pleasure is not diminished one iota by the fact that there are better projectors available at two-thirds the price that I paid for it two years ago (and that includes the experience of substantial demos of a HS10 and a Nec HT1000 in my movie room thanks to very good friends Kramer and Vexorg).

My advice is that if you've got the budget, go for it and stop worrying about "will X be better than Y in three months/six months time". The standard of the current crop of 1280x720 projectors is super for the price being charged by comparison to what was available 1 - 2 years ago.

S.

9. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    OK, Go on then....

I'll find stock, and then.....i'll part with the dosh !

Cheers Ritz ! :D

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Starsky said, "do it, do it, do it" :D

(might have been Hutch :rolleyes: ).

11. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Just out of interest, how many people here have bought TX-100's ?

Just by the way.....the wife just said that i could buy this, but she want's to go buy a PLASMA tomorrow to replace our 36" Panny CRT TV.

Anyone wanna buy my excellent 36" Widescreen TV ? :D :D

Seriously, if anyone is interested, give us a shout, or look in the AV Hardware Adverts Forum for the price :smashin:

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    She wants to go buy a plasma tomorrow.... oh dear, sounds like a recipe for being ripped off and fed misinformation in high street stores! Seriously, if you're looking for a plasma check out nexnix or av-sales or progressive av or any other retailer supporting these forums and get yourself a good deal!

Cheers
    Andy