1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, decisions....

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Dec 26, 2000.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi All,

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you all had a good day, didn't get too drunk, or too stuffed on Turkey.

Anyway, I need some advice. Since I first started buying R1 DVD's, I've always bought from the same company - DC-DVD. They had a great choice of DVD's; gave loads of info on each title; were able to get many of the lesser-known, foreign language and Anime titles that I collect; and had their prices in UK currency! Whilst they weren't the fastest delivery company, (most orders took about 7-10 days), nor always the cheapest, they were reliable, had good support, allowed me to pay them by cash direct from my bank account into theirs, and even sent me a free DVD book for Christmas, as a small "Thank You" for my custom! Also, they don't use Recorded Delivery on regular, single disc DVD's, which means the postal worker doing the round in my area, can simply put the package through my letterbox, regardless of whether I'm in or not! (Another bonus!)

Nothing has changed to make me want to defect to any other firm. However, I have noticed that many other companies that contributors to this forum constantly recommend, are now open to me. My question is, do I stick to a company I know and love, and have no problems with, or do I also order from other firms as well, but have to pay by Credit Card, and have to convert the funds from US or Canadian Dollars, into UK Pounds?

I know this is probably going to sound quite an odd (and maybe even stupid) question, but I am interested in getting hold of several new discs:

JFK - Special Edition 2 Disc set (pre-ordered for £15-07p!)
    Legend: Collectors Edition 2 Disc set
    Princess Mononoke
    Manhunter: Special Director's Cut Tin Set (from Anchor Bay)
    The Count Of Monte Cristo mini-series (the one that's airing right now on BBC2)!

... Yet none of the companies, have all the discs listed, either as available, or as future releases, and I'm not overly keen on having to keep track of ordering from different companies, if I can avoid doing so.

It's also a problem, in that not many of these online firms, have half a good a catalogue as DC-DVD. I don't really fancy having to make constant telephone calls or e-mail requests, to find out if a particular DVD I want is available, at what price, and what features it may have. I need that information available to me, under one roof, if at all possible.

Yes, I know I'm not asking much ;-) (he says, slyly!), but do I trade off in price and get wide selections, easy payment methods, from my current, highly reliable company, but with marginally higher prices and slightly longer delivery times, or do I go for the opposite: quicker delivery, cheaper prices, but have to pay by Credit Card; worry about constantly missing Recorded Delivery items, that require endless bus journeys to/from the local Sorting Office; as well as having less useful adn accessible information available to me on a particular companies website?!

If anyone can help me, then please reply to this thread. I appreciate that this is a very involved enquiry, but I know I can trust you folks to give pretty reliable information and advice when needed.

Kind regards, to one and all,

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 26-12-2000).]

2. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do like to stick with a select range of companies if at all possible. I gave a few a go with several different orders made on the same day to see how I got on. These were the big ones I saw recommended regularly.

I can't see the point in changing supplier unless to gain some other benefit. The benefit for you would seem to be, perhaps, cheaper prices?

Price - that's pretty key for me. I'm not too bothered about delivery time - they get here when they get here, and I know I won't get around to watching them for a while after they arrive anyway.

If I find I get good service from a company I stick with them. You might like to try DV-Depot though if a title isn't listed. They have customer forums which the DV-Depot guys read and respond to. You can ask them to add discs to their list, and their pre-book-specials are well worth taking up. I have things pre-booked into March next year!

I like just browsing the DV-Depot site. DVDBO's is another nice site in fact. I get lots of ideas that I add to my list that I maintain and revisit every time I get to ordering in some new films.

I think you've already answered your question and are just looking to see what thoughts you might have missed! You're pretty clear on your preferences for your current supplier!!

Stuart

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    StuartBooth wrote: "You might like to try DV-Depot though if a title isn't listed. They have customer forums which the DV-Depot guys read and respond to. You can ask them to add discs to their list, and their pre-book-specials are well worth taking up. I like just browsing the DV-Depot site. DVDBO's is another nice site in fact."

Thanks for your help, Stuart! Will check out DV-Depot. However, I have heard a lot of criticism recently about DVD Box Office.

Stuart also said: "I think you've already answered your question and are just looking to see what thoughts you might have missed! You're pretty clear on your preferences for your current supplier!!"

I can't really fault DC-DVD . Like I said, their prices aren't always the cheapest, nor are they necessarily the speediest firm around, but they do have a lot of advantages for me, especially as a collector of less-mainstream titles! Having said that, I think I might simply just stick with them, full stop, anyhow. If they don't advertise a disc on their site, they still do normally get it on there, sooner or later. For example, I'm really looking forward to Anchor Bay's pre-Valentine Day 2001 release of Michael Mann's crime masterpiece "Manhunter: Director's Cut" in the special limited tin edition, ala "The Beyond" and "Evil Dead 2", etc. Play247 had it listed at £17-99, but Dc-DVD haven't got it at all yet. However, I know that this is not something that DC-DVD will overlook. It may just be the case that they wait for more definitive details, before advertising an up-and-coming DVD. Maybe I will keep ordering the majority of my DVD's from them, and then only order the Special Limited Edition Sets where I'm going to save substantial sums of money. (The Tin sets normally retail on DC-DVD's site at around £35!)

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Pooch

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I have been jacked around big time by a "cheapie" firm in Canada recently so part of me says stick with who you know but you will also see me recommending two firms that I have used over the last year & a bit ...
    play247.co.uk & absound.ca in Canada who I just got Se7en from for about £15 delivered
    They emailed me on 14/12/00 to say it was en route & it arrived on 19/12/00 - they day it was released in the US!

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

5. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are not bothered about waiting, then I find US direct quite good at tracking down discs. They are quite slow though, I am still waiting for discs I ordered in the summer!

Have you tried the personal approach of buying over the counter? Most dealers will welcome special orders and this can be the best way of finding out what stuff is available. You will pay a few more pounds for the service, but at least you will get your discs there and then?

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Desade,

"Personal approach" and "Over the counter"? How can I do this, when it is illegal to sell Region 1 discs in the UK?

I know some companies in London sell them, albeit at great risk to themselves, but as I live "up north", that makes things a little more difficult.

Any more advice and/or explanations you can offer, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

Pooch

7. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it is illegal, but many small dealers offer this service. At least they are the ones to take the risks...I am still paranoid about customs!

It isn't just London dealers. I have travelled "Oop North" and found similar places; if anything, they seem to be more open about it. There are some excellent shops in Nottingham, York and Edinburgh. The best approach, I have found, is to search the ads section in magazines like "Home Cinema Choice" etc. They obviously won't advertise themselves as region 1 DVD suppliers, but from the other products they sell you should get some idea (grey imports, chipped players, etc.) A simple phone call will then confirm your suspicions.

The illgality of it all doesn't seem to bother most, though some are wary of strangers. An actual complaint by a member of the public is needed to trigger a raid or any other action, unless they advertise too openly, of course.

As I said, you will pay more, but it does have compensations. Getting films there and then for one, often well before release date. (I paid £35 for "Way of the Gun" on 15/12/00) Also, over time, a relationship can develop and you will get cheaper prices and "special" orders, regardless of risk...

I tend to balance my purchases between mail order for titles I don't mind waiting for and "over the counter" for impulse/immediate purchase.

Computer fairs can also be a good source, but can be very hit and miss.

Hope this helps some...