Decisions decisions...

Mitchas

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, only just signed up to the forum tonight so looking forwards to quizzing you guys on a new TV (for starters)...we are looking to spend about a grand on the TV but are totally undecided, and a bit bamboozled, by what seems like the fairly big variances in the types of TV out there...The TV will be used for general use, films, PS3, Blue ray dvd, fairly basic stuff I'd suggest.

We are thinking along the lines of either plasma or LED (we like the sleek looks of the LED but don't want to be totally succored into looks alone) and had been considering either the Pansonic TX-P42G20B or TXL42D25B, or even one of the 40" Sony's that also look like they'd do the business.

Just looking for a bit of advice as we aren't interested in living with any known faults or problems, and just want a nice image, no ghosting, buzzing or blurring, sound I'm hoping will be reasonable but again, maybe we could think about what our options are there as well ? Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated. Cheers Mitchas :)

Hi, only just signed up to the forum tonight so looking forwards to quizzing you guys on a new TV (for starters)...we are looking to spend about a grand on the TV but are totally undecided, and a bit bamboozled, by what seems like the fairly big variances in the types of TV out there...The TV will be used for general use, films, PS3, Blue ray dvd, fairly basic stuff I'd suggest.

We are thinking along the lines of either plasma or LED (we like the sleek looks of the LED but don't want to be totally succored into looks alone) and had been considering either the Pansonic TX-P42G20B or TXL42D25B, or even one of the 40" Sony's that also look like they'd do the business.

Just looking for a bit of advice as we aren't interested in living with any known faults or problems, and just want a nice image, no ghosting, buzzing or blurring, sound I'm hoping will be reasonable but again, maybe we could think about what our options are there as well ? Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated. Cheers Mitchas :)

Hi Mitchas, best advice I can give is to do the research, the more the better. This is a great place to start, Phil and others reviews on here are the best and very reliable. I found after reading this forum I've not only gone from looking at LCDs to buying plasma twice! but also since joining have learned a lot too, some great people on here, just remember its all opinion both educated and not, so as long as you do the research your choice will always the right one for you.

Good hunting.....oh and if you ask me? V20 all the way:D

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum mate! :smashin:
I use to be a lcd fanboy untill I joined AV forums and after compairing and actually looking at tvs(before i just viewed now I see the difference and its so clear! Thanks to the knowlage of the users here) Ive now switched to plasma tvs.
For me the natural colours and fast responce times sold it for me. Now Ive been a member of Avf for a wee while now and am looking into calibrations to get the most out my tv. So out of all your options you listed I would pick the G20. I have a 42" G20 and its a very nice beast very clear image and has that WOW factor. Blurays look out this world, PS3 respone time is the best Ive seen, no input lag that I can notice while playing games compaired to my old sammy lcd.
Best thing to do mate is go out and play with the tvs you like, shops tend to whack there sets into dynamic mode. Try them on THX or cinema if they let you.

And feel free to bug us about any questions mate ;)

Cheers Guys, and thans for the welcome !

We were totally sold on LCD initially but having read into it (just a little bit!) I'm definitely swaying towards plasma....I'll keep researching and look for the mode switch in store you suggested....must admit we are REALLY looking forwards to the new TV...the old Sony has really given up the ghost...10 years of solid CBEEBIES has finally done it in ! Cheers again, I'll let you know how I got on....tempted by John Lewis price matching as well...particularly with the 5yr warranty which is nice...:thumbsup:

Cheers Guys, and thans for the welcome !

We were totally sold on LCD initially but having read into it (just a little bit!) I'm definitely swaying towards plasma....I'll keep researching and look for the mode switch in store you suggested....must admit we are REALLY looking forwards to the new TV...the old Sony has really given up the ghost...10 years of solid CBEEBIES has finally done it in ! Cheers again, I'll let you know how I got on....tempted by John Lewis price matching as well...particularly with the 5yr warranty which is nice...:thumbsup:

your better off going to an independant as they generally can be cheaper or will price match with john lewis also they have official panasonic 5 year warranties compared to john lewis's warranty which if looked into deeper is a bit shaky and misleading!

your better off going to an independant as they generally can be cheaper or will price match with john lewis also they have official panasonic 5 year warranties compared to john lewis's warranty which if looked into deeper is a bit shaky and misleading!

+1

Well...had a good look around town, looked at Sony's LCD's, the lass in John Lewis was desperately trying to flog me the latest Sony 3D TV that was just released but to be honest I just can't see me sitting with the family all wearing Joe 90 specs watching Jaws 3D leap out at us, so decided against it...I know the PS3 will have 3D games shortly but I'm still not convinced....we checked out the Sony LED and Samsung LED's before opting for what I really went in to look at the P42G20B....I know the V20 is out now as well but to be honest I was struggling to justify the extra cash and my Son is desperate for "his" (yeah right) new TV to watch the World Cup on....£1099 in Fenwicks (Newcastle), £999 in John Lewis, £899 in House of Fraser (no stock locally but stock in Darlington) and after a bit of umming and arring the sales woman agreed to match the HOF price £899 - free delivery, 5year parts and labour warranty....nice !...I have seen price slightly lower elsewhere but it's getting the balance between price, Customer service, price, trust in who you are buying from and oh yes...price again ! hehe...Arrives home on Friday so with any luck all set up for Friday night...result ! I'll let you know what I think when it's in the flesh....I would say one thing, it's amazing how all of the TV's look as though they'd fit your house when they are in the showroom....we went in for a 42" and ended up deciding a 46" would easily fit...wouldn't it ??..before reality kicked in and we remembered it wouldn't ! finally going for the 42"....we even looked at the 50" at one point thinking it didn't look that big, yes in the showroom maybe !...when getting home we rechecked our measurements and the 46" would have looked just too big for the room, so definitely best to know what you want when you go in and stick to your guns, or regret it when you go for BIG and try and get the TV into the room !...cheers for now and your advice thus far ! Chris

I just bought this plasma and it has been amazing! Easy installation and perfect picture quality. I have been watching the World Cup on it and it is so detailed, I can see the blades of grass on the field! I got the suggestion off of Bestcovery | Expert Reviews & Rankings. They have top rankings under various budgets or types of televisions so they should be able to help you find the type of tv that will fit your needs.

Hi.
Although I am also not new to the forum, this is my first post. I have a similar problem with choosing the right TV. Although I have been looking at a lot of posts and test and I am no longer looking for an LCD, I can not decide between a couple of different models of plasma. I will mostly be using the TV for watching movies and series from my computer (HD and SD) and playing xbox 360. Currently I am loooking at the Panasonic S20 and the LG PK590. I really like the s20, but unfortunately I can not get it in the 60 inch size, so I am bit torn between the two (size being the main advantage of the LG in my opinion to the S20 - please correct me if I am wrong). Of course if I had the chance, I would take the 50 inch g20, but unfortunately I can not get a 50 inch g20 in my country or Germany or Austria (I don't know why they all only have 42 inch). Any suggestions.
Thanks a lot.
Best,
Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom