1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions decisions xbox or PS2

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by KRRK, Oct 21, 2002.

1. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but I have a problem. For months, I have been on the verge of buying a PS2, but, just lately, the X-box seems a better bet. Anyone who has either or both care to help out?

2. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is a bad question. Those with an X-Box will tell you to get one, and those who have a PS2 will tell you to get a PS2.

At the end of the day what games mainly interest you on either console, or just buy both.

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    KRRK,

if you search this forum you will find plenty of lively debate about which console is better, etc. i'm not going to say which one you should get. i have all three and the one i play most is the xbox, then the GC then the PS2.

my advice look at the games you want to play and which system has them. then buy that one. Sorry i cant be more helpful.

gary

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Buy a Gameboy Advance :p

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When the PS2 owners come up with a valid reason to choose one over the xbox then I'd go for one. If you don't want to wait that long go for an xbox.

Better hardware
    Better online plans
    Cheaper
    IMO better games (Halo 2 or Red Faction 2 that's a toughy)

EDIT: Buy a GB advance too, oh you might want to wait for the new one tho

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    thanks Dom, you sit on the fence and not say what you feel ha ha ( I do agree though!)

Gary

7. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    And if you've got / getting broadband the xbox live option IMHO will be hard to beat

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of editorialising, I'd say that your decision should not be between PS2 and XBox, it should be between GameCube and XBox. The PS2 (despite it's large games library) is near the end of its life cycle, and is currently overpriced.

9. Andy_stook_2k

Andy_stook_2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now the good games are coming out in big numbers, get the xbox.:cool:

10. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I play GC most, then GBA, then X-Box, then PS2

I love Nintendo. They are a gamers game company (if you get my drift). Sure, they bring out duds the same as any other games companies do, but the crackers are top of the pile as far as I am concerned (Mario, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Donkey Kong I could go on...). Some say it's aimed more at kids - I don't agree.

PS2 had it's day, it was good, still some good games coming out, but not enough to keep it alive for much longer....? It's good until you see a GC or X-Box game.

The X-Box. I waited for weeks, months, years, for this. It's been on my shelf now since it's launch. Please tell me when there are gonna be some good games I can play on it! Halo was brilliant, but I finished it ages ago and all the games I get now are naff. I have not found one that can keep my attention longer than a few hours at most Sorry, but I still think it's too much like a PC. Microsoft are in the console business because they can, not because they want to make games for gamers. And the damn controller is too big! :)

I agree - get them both! I am holding out for some good reasons to dust off the X-Box very soon
    :D

Mrs Taz. :kisses:

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    from what ive seen in recent days your reasons are coming, there are some fantastic games between now and xmas.

Gary

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mrs Taz,

The non-launch titles I'm playing and would highly recommend are..

Timsplitters2
    Rocky
    Championship mgr
    Tony Hawks3
    Moto GP

This years releases I'm waiting for are...

Colin McRae Rally 3 - Coming out this Friday.
    Splinter Cell
    Unreal Championship
    Rayman 3
    Blinx
    Medal of honor

Next year

Fable (Project Ego)
    Shenmue II
    BC
    TOCA Racing Driver
    Halo2
    Doom III
    GP 4 - pleeeaaaase!
    Micro Machines
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Yager
    etc...

I think you could probably get most of them on other consoles or PC....but they wouldn't have dolby digital 5.1 and maybe the graphics won't be as polished at the xbox version (not including PC in that).

The main reasons I bought a xbox was dd5.1 sound, the hard drive, Sockets for 4 controllers and because of all of those it's potential. I was going to talk about the other consoles but I've taken it out cos it's all been said before.

It's been a bit of a naff first 7 months for the xbox to be honest. Not many games released over the summer, but now there are loads I want and I haven't enough money... unless I tell the family they aren't getting any presents this year, I've told them they're not getting their presents wrapped this year. That should save enough money for one game :D

Jus.

13. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it has to be the best out of the lot - it has 5.1 sound and a hardrive. You can mod it with a card and then rip the old hardrive out, put a new one in and use it as a mp3 player!

now thats enteraintment :)

CaM

14. stewarth

stewarth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the games that are out now and are coming out. Look at the track record of the companies then make a decision.

As for PS2 being at the end of its life, don't make me laugh. However much of a fan you are of Xbox/Gamecube or whatever, there is no evidence whatsoever that the PS2 is coming to the end of its life, infact the complete opposite.

Remember its about games not 5.1 sound or 'better' graphics. If thats all that matters to you why not wait for the PS3. Afterall its only 3 years away.

15. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    The thing is with all new consoles these days, the decent games seem to be limited at launch (due to more complex development)

I currently own a PS2 and it now has lots of games available for it that i want to play, though i waited a year before i bought one.

The xbox and GC are far more recent and are still waiting for the major titles (now starting to appear)

At the end of the day you buy the console that has the type of games you enjoy playing most

It's all well and good having the best spec console, but if the games are poor or there is no support, it makes an expensive door stop.

16. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew it was a lousy question, but thanks all the same. Sigh, it looks like XBox it is. Buying both is a nice idea, but I only have room for one.

Not really interested in Nintendo, sorry, but none of the games really grab me. OK, RE is quite good, but I got fed up with the concept years ago.

Thanks to all who responded.

17. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why do you only have room for one. If you didn't get the X-box you would have room for two:D ( only jo king Waka Waka )

I'll let you know how Vice city looks and how nice the people are ( Good or Bad ):D :D :D

18. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2
    Final Fantasy X
    Gran Turismo 3
    GTA3
    GTA: Vice City
    Onimusha 2
    TOCA Racing Driver
    Jak and Daxter
    Red Faction 2
    Medal of Honor
    The Two Towers

All out or released within the next month or so on PS2. Keeps me busy enough.

19. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The complete opposite? Well, hooray, the PS2 has just launched! Alert the media. (ok, that was uncalled for ;) )

The simple fact is, regardless of the games, the PS2 as a piece of hardware is overpriced when you compare it to the XBox and Gamecube. Sony can still sell it this high because they already have a solid market share, and are raking money in on game sale royalties. They don't need to be worried about selling consoles right now. If you are intent on getting a PS2 right now, at least wait until the price comes down before Xmas. (which is very likely) I mean, you can still support a system without being a poor consumer.

20. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    There are rumours that they are bringing out a smaller X-box is this true ?

Dave.

21. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    dunno about a smaller one (which would be kool) but that white ltd edition one would be nice.

22. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I think that's the Panzer Dragoon Orta ltd edition box, and AFAIK, it's only available in Japan.

23. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Get the PS2 if you like a wide selection of games, the PS2 is the football fans choice.

Get a GameCube if you like a camp little plumber.

Get an Xbox if you like 70's slacks, because Halo is all it really has and 3D shooters own on the PC.

when you weigh up the pro's and cons, PS2 is the one for you!

Go for it, its the breakfast of champions and is stomping the xbox and gamecube in the sales war, which means its future is far more certain.

Edge magazine think the xbox is going the same way as the Dreamcast, if Broad band gaming doesnt take off it will.

24. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I would just go with the one I could get the best deal on :)

25. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    sorry but PS2 is far the best console and the best supported.
    It outsells Xbox and GC by 8:1 !!

It is reaching its peak games wise with much improved graphics
    many reviews say there is hardly any difference between the PS2 timesplitters and the Xbox one!

xbox is slowly going bust, it has more than halved in price in 6months!!

dont count on online gaming only 1% of people in britain have broadband! by the time boradband gaming takes off estimated at around 2005!! PS3 will be out.

until then you may as well stick with a pc for online games as Xbox only offers FPS anyway (well one!!)
    if you want an Xbox you may as well buy a dreamcast because all of its games apart from halo are OLD DREAMCAST GAMES!!

ps if your british you are probably a football fan , only PS2 has PRO EVO 2 , well i suppose you could play david beckham soccer on XBOX!! LOLLOL:D :D :D

26. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    people seem pretty pasionate around here about there ps2's...

I was faced with the same descision as you...in the end I bought an xbox - not because the games are necessarily any better, they actually do different type of games but because the xbox is more like a pc.

I have a pc but couldn't be bothered upgrading it evey year just so I could play the latest games so I got an xbox instead. I have a cable modem and I certainly will be playing games on it (along with yuris right now on my pc).

Lets face it, whether you like it or not - its not often microsoft loose at anything they put time in effort in. They may get outsold in japan 10,000,000 to 1 but seeing as most of the games that come out of japan are rubish it doesnt matter (sega, teken and a few others excluded). In the end, buy the console either for

a). to play the games you want

or

b). like me, use it as an mp3 player (with a biger harddrive) and a games machine all in one that has 5.1 sound (which is a big deal if you have a home cinema like i do - those who say otherwise must be playing it in stero or don't know how poor they got it).

still, the ps2 is good - if a little dated.....xbox and ps2 games may be almost equal now but next year the ps2 games are going to look the same but the xbox games are going to look better (the same goes for 2004 as well).

bye for now

CaM

p.s. the dreamcast (rip) aint even in the same league as the xbox or the ps2 for that matter....

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it kind of sweet that people see the need to defend a piece of plastic with such vigour.

It's interesting to look at the type of responses we've had...

XBOX owners saying what appeals to them about the XBOX and giving mainly unemotional facts.

Looking at the majority (NOT ALL) of the PS2 replies they mostly slag off the XBOX or tell us the reason why it's better is because it sells more.

So taking that one step further...A ford fiesta outsells Ferrari thousands to one. Therefore a fiesta is better. So, if you want the console equivilent of a Fiesta buy a PS2, a Ferrari then XBOX :D

28. camlogan

camlogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i was...still love the ps2 - I just was telling you all why i bought myself an xbox.

I think the ps2 is great if you are a teken fan (like myself) or like gta3 etc... so don't get me wrong - if you buy either you will be a happy man.

thanks

CaM

29. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always like these threads - mainly as it brings out the fan boys :)

The thing that always interests me is that the majority of PS2 owners harp on about how much better the PS2 is over the Xbox or GC - but the only reason they ever give is the PS2 is outselling botht the Xbox and GC. When a Xbox or GC owner replies they give good reason why the consols are better - better games, cheaper, newer tech, hard disk, online play, etc etc etc.

They do however harp on about how the Xbox has only one good game being Halo (this may have been true 2 months ago but hardly true now) and in the same sentance say Pro Evo 2 is the reason to buy a PS2 - inferring that the PS2 only has one good game being Pro Evo 2.

Now the PS2 does have it place in the consol market - but for me it is just way over priced - if the console was say £99 then it would make it a more reasonable purchase - how a console that is what 2 years old can still be selling for more than both the Xbox and GC is behond me - yes it may have a bigger games base at present but this isnt going to last much longer (with all the new titles appearing for the GC and Xbox.

I was also in the dilema of which console to purchase - i did opt for the Xbox and am very glad i did - saying that there are games that are PS2 exclusives id love to have for the xbox - but these games just didnt justify paying the same prcie for a console 2 years old thats life span is certainly a lot less that both the Xbox and CG.

To mention a few of the things that swung me to the Xbox are: Xbox media player proggy (plays MP3's Divx, DvD, Mepgs, SVCD, VCD's etc) well handy, online game play, emulators for various other consoles and GBA, games due to be released, DD 5.1 sound (having a very good home cinema set up DD5.1 sound makes a HUGE difference), not having to spend £30,000 on memory cards to get same storage for PS2 as Xbox (this one always makes me laugh) - unless of course you change the hard disk of the Xbox to an 80Gig one then its more like £300,000 :)

Personally i think the PS2 fan boys just cant live with the thought of the amount of money they spent on their consoles after seeing both the Xbox and GC in action knowing they could have gotten them for less than the PS2- i know 2 people who were very gutted and traded in their PS2's - one buying a Xbox and the other a GC.

Spike

30. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm in the fortunate position in that I have a PS2 and a Gamecube. I'm currently also borrowing an X-Box too!

I love PS2 Gran Tourismo 3, especially via the 7ft projection screen. It's still the only totally immersive console driving game for me. It's also one of a few titles to support 16:9 widescreen mode.

Even though the X-box is not mine, I bought the £15 S-Video and 5.1 digital lead. That's currently running through the 5.1 projection system too.

Result:
    X-Box Project Gotham Racing is not a patch on PS2 Gran Tourismo in play or looks. Project Gotham may use more polygons, but the lighting is only average. It doesn't even make good use of 5.1 discrete surround sound.

On the other hand Halo is incredible and makes full use of 5.1 sound. It's even better than when I tried a PC game on the HTPC; Soldier of Fortune 2 with a Soundblaster Live, using 4.1 3D hardware sound.

The trouble is the games all seem to be £44 for the X-box.

I'd say if you want lots of good games, get a PS2, lots of good games for £20.

If you want true 5.1 dolby digital sound in games, which with a good AV amp makes a world of difference, then the X-box is the only choice. I'm sure it's limited catalog of AAA titles will begin growing soon.

I bought the Gamecube just for Star Wars, Rogue Leader. It looks fantastic and is great fun. It also allowed me a games machine in the living room, for when I'm looking after our newborn daughter and she's crying so much I can't hear the dialog on the TV! What a loving parent I must sound. I've also since found out that she loves the colourful games on the big screen and doesn't mind a dark home theater room either.
    i.e.
    PS2 £170 = Resonably priced, great games. Hardware not cutting edge, but it works well.

X-Box £130 = Expensive games. Cheapest hardware! Hardware is cutting edge, built-in network and hard disc, ready for Broadband networking games. 5.1 sound CAN BE awesome on some titles.

Gamecube £175 = Surprisingly great graphics. Star Wars Rogue Leader looks incredible and plays well. Several other really addictive titles according the the reviews.

regards,
    Rob.