1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, decisions - where to buy a sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by lmccauley, Mar 9, 2002.

1. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I'm currently investigating replacing my floorstanders with monitor speakers and a sub. I've read good things about M&K S85 and the Paradigm Servo15 sub, so I thought I would arrange to audition them at home.

No problem with the S85 - went to my local dealer (Sevenoaks in Newcastle) and they said they would arrange to get some in for me to take home and try.

My problem is with trying to get hold of a Paradigm Servo15. I went in to Richer Sounds (Newcastle) and asked if they had any in stock that I could try. Their response was that they don't keep them in stock because they don't sell many and they hang around for ages. If I tried it but didn't like it then they would be stuck with it. They suggested I ring their natinal helpline number to see if I could arrange anything with them. Also, the 15 day return if you're not happy is for credit, not refund.

So, I have a few choices about what to do for a sub:
    1) Buy the Servo15 sight-unseen. Which I'm vary wary about doing! Or ringing their helpline number and see if I get any sense out of them.
    2) Audition a REL or M&K sub from Sevenoaks and end up paying about twice what I would for the Paradigm, but safe in the knowledge that it would work fine in my home and not be too big (I'm still unsure how domestically acceptable the Servo15 would be).
    3) Look out for a second hand sub. Cheaper than #2, but might end up with something that doesn't integrate well.

Any comments or suggestions?

Cheers,
    Liam

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yes, the Newcastle branch of Sevenoaks is very accomodating and put RS to shame. I have a REL Storm III, and know someone who has a Servo 15. I must say that the Paradigm goes a lot deeper and to higher volumes. If music is your forte, though, the paradigm wasn't that bad (certainly better than the REL Q range), but not as good as my REL Storm. The Servo 15 is the size of a Fiesta, though, and that is why I don't have one. Dont be put off by Richer Sounds' service; I have Paradigm Reference front speakers and can say that Paradigm are a fine brand. I am certain that if Home Cinema is your thing the the Servo 15 is "the Daddy".

Russell

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Tell that you know someone in Cumbria that collects them.

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Russell,

Where did you manage to buy Paradigm front speakers? I thought RS were the only distributor in the UK and I can't see any in their catalogue.

Cheers,
    Liam

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Yeah, Nic, if I get a Servo15 and don't like it, do you want to buy a third? After all, you'll need one if you have more kids... ;)

Cheers,
    Liam

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a thought, but on the size side of things, what about getting hold of some cardboard and sticky tape and making up a box the size of the Servo 15? You could then see where it could fit in your room and what it would look like - you could even paint it black!

Seriously, I'm thinking of trying this myself but, having recently changed from an REL Q50 to a (somewhat smaller) Q200, I've a feeling that a Servo 15 would look ridiculously big in it's place.

On top of this, I justified upgrading from Q50 to Q200 to my wife by using the "it's so much smaller" argument so if I come home with a Servo 15 one day I'm a dead man!

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    That's a pretty good idea. I could even just use the cardboard box and save myself £500 ;).

Looks like you made a rod for your own back mate :(. WHy don't you hide the Q200 by putting a big table over the top of it and then swap it for a Servo15 when she wasn't in...

Might be an idea to check what medical insurance you have first, though... ;).

Cheers,
    Liam

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well, Richer Sounds, now that you mention it. Three or four years ago, Paradigm was RS's premier speaker brand. You could get any speaker, be it reference, surround or sub quite easily and a few of these were still hanging around a few years ago. I found the Paradigm Esprit speakers (which are bipolar, like Mirage OM series) tucked into a corner, to the apparent surprise of the salesman. The Paradigms are easily the match of most £800 speakers. They cost me £200. Paradigm are great value.
    You wont find Paradigm front speakers anymore, though you can still get centres and subs. I think this is something to do with the recent Mordaunt Short buyout.

Mat F
    Why the hell didn't I think of that?

Russell

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    :blush:

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Try coming home with 2:D I still have the scars

11. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I think my wife would remove the drivers and stick the empty cases together to make a very solid coffin...:eek:

12. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone clear this up for me please. Say if i went into their shop and wanted to buy a piece of kit that was £139 on their website how much would it be in the shop.

On a different note, does the Servo-15 from RS come with an X-30 unit and all necessary leads as i've seen some others on the froum not receive these when ordering.

13. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Liam

I am running a Paradigm PR10 and if you want you can come round for a demo your more than welcome. I live in Gosforth. If you are interested it would have to be at the weekend. Email me peter@pellis.co.uk

14. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Thanks for the offer Peter, but I ended up buying a REL Q100E second hand.

Cheers,
    Liam