Decisions Decisions - what would u do?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rjcowan, Dec 13, 2001.

1. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well after much fighting I have now got my money back on the tosh 210(region 2) and i am now in the market for a dvd player - multi regioned.
    it was an easy choice as i have a tosh tv to go with the toshiba 210 again except this time multi-regioned and then i saw the sony dvpns400 and i hesitated.
    Looking to spend up to £250 but i keep teasing myself with better equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a great player that is multi-regioned?
    And does the Sony dvpns400 multi-regioned with a remote control hack?

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask why you returned the Toshiba?
    Eric

3. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes - i returned it because it was going to cost me £40 to get it multi-regioned and the shop guarantteed me they could multi-region it but then said they couldnt. Had tosh for 6 months so i can give it back get my money back and buy a molti-regioned one from richersounds for £199. No cost to me and i get a new player which is multi-regioned. It was a simple decision until i looked at what else i could buy. Back to square one again but my requirements are :
    Multi-region
    decent brand name
    and quiet sound from the tray(tosh is quite noisy)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your Tosh TV has component inputs the Tosh 210 is the one to go for again if you can live with the noise.

If no component inputs have a look at the Pioneer 444 or 545 which appear to be well rated by all of the mags and well received by forum members including myself.

5. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got a Tosh TV with component and your budget can stretch to it, go for the Tosh SD9000. Can be bought for £350 multi region from Hi Spek.

It hasn't got some of the functions of some of the newer players like CDR compatibility and I've heard it doesn't like Region 1 disks like T2 that much, but for the money you won't see better at twice the price.

6. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rjcowan,
    how about Aiwa DV-370. It is going for £199 at Comet and it is multi regional hackable via the remote. I have got one for the last five months and it is not bad for the features you get at that price.
    I have used R2/R1 and R4 DVDs and I have no problems what so ever when viewing them
    H :)