Decisions, decisions... What plasma to buy???

N

nephalion

Dear AV experts and fans,

I’ve been a registered member of this forum for a few months now but today is the day to lose my virginity and place my first post… Let’s hope it is regarded as sensible as I’ve seen what some of you bad boys can do to those asking silly questions :)

Anyway, it’s not that hard a question, more a decision really, one that I am finding almost impossible to make myself. But I am sure that somewhere in this community there are a number of people who have faced, or are facing, exactly the same dilemma as me… that is, which plasma screen should I buy?

I have narrowed things down, you’ll be pleased to hear. For a start, much as I might think 50” would be nice, it might just be a tad too big for the room, after all, it is a Living Room not a Cinema. So I’ll settle for a large and pleasing 42”. Plus, I don’t have to worry too much about sound as I have a separate surround system. So the most important thing is picture quality. The other factor that might help somebody else help me is, the type of things I like watching. Well that would be your everyday action adventure and dark brooding suspense type films. Plus of course footie…

I have spent hours, no... really, in stores such as Comet and John Lewis trying to decide on a set and am now on first name terms with some of the staff... So I have narrowed my selection down to Panasonic TH42PX60, Pioneer PDP436SXE, Hitachi 42PD9700 and the Samsung PS42Q7H.

The Samsung is a little odd in that it is by far the cheapest of the lot, in fact, if I wanted a 50” then the 50” would compare well on price with the other 42” plasmas in the list. My guess here is that I would be disappointed with the Samsung once I got it home, but then Sony used there panels in their plasma tv’s before exiting the market!

So, I am keen to hear comments, be pointed in directions or even have other plasma’s thrown in for consideration… of course by the time I make up my mind one of the new technologies will be on the street and I’ll be starting all over again.

BTW. I currently have a Philips 36” 100Hz (100Kg!!!) CRT with Pixel Plus. Has been an excellent tv and worth noting that as a state of the art tv three years ago cost me over £1500, and today I would get about £200 for it.

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
considering the sets you have mentioned, and the fact you have an amp/speaker package, i would recommend the PHD8. quite a bargain atm for £1380 at AV-Sales and it will give a better pic than those you mention :thumbsup:

i would not even consider the pioneer due to the screen burn/image retention issues. i also prefered the pic on the PHD8 hence buying it!

cost me £1600 less than 2 months ago :eek:

it does'nt have a tv tuner built in but many people dont use analouge nowadays anyway, not many people without sky or a freeview box :D

N

nephalion

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Out of interest what makes the PHD8, at £1380, the superior panel? Especially when compared against a PX60, currently available at £1390! I accept I am a tad naïve at this game (but that’s why I’m here), but isn’t the PX60 a later generation panel to the PHD8 and therefore, theoretically at least, a technological step forward…

Thanks, Andy

Weyland

Standard Member
Be aware that you also need to add to that price a stand/mount plus 3 input boards (HDMI, Component, Scart) to compare to the PX60 on spec? If so add another £300 minimum to that price.....
TBH the difference in PQ, for the average Joe is negligable between these two (I know as I have a PX600 and PHD8 ISF'ed). PHD8 has far too much picture noise out of the box on Scart and Component, compared to the PX600) therefor an ISF is a must.

Alan

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
the PHD8 has better processing for a start, and gives a better PQ than the panny tv's due to many more picture enhancement settings.

bear in mind the PHD8 is a commercial panel, so you cant expect it to be setup great to start with as that would be done when it's setup. they generally are'nt for the "average joe" hence why they dont sell them in the likes of comet ;)

creative-av

If you are budgeting for £1500 then the PHD8 is the one to buy.

Get yourself to AV-Sales in Kent to demo it but be quick as there are not many left!

WRT the slot-in cards - but them when you need them. If your amp can do component out then buy a component to VGA cable and feed to the panel. You get full RGBHV support and at numerous refresh rates. The advanced picture adjustments that you can make with the PHD8 really help make the pq outstanding.

Steve

J

javaman

I watched SD TV on 50P5H and DVD on C7H and in both cases PQ sucked.

So I decided to purchase Panny PV60 and I must say it really rules. SD is very good. And watching movies on PC is even better.

Some people says than PV/PX60 is ugly but unbelivablely my wife loves it because our kitchen/dinningroom/living room is full of metalic/aluminium parts and the metalic look of PV60 fits in well.

N

nephalion

creative-av said:
If you are budgeting for £1500 then the PHD8 is the one to buy.

Get yourself to AV-Sales in Kent to demo it but be quick as there are not many left!

WRT the slot-in cards - but them when you need them. If your amp can do component out then buy a component to VGA cable and feed to the panel. You get full RGBHV support and at numerous refresh rates. The advanced picture adjustments that you can make with the PHD8 really help make the pq outstanding.

Steve

...and if my budget were, say, up to £2000 is there something out there I should consider instead of the PHD8 (assuming of course I don't spend so much time thinking about it they sell out...)?

creative-av

Well, the other panel to consider is the new Fujitsu 58 series but that is quite a bit over your £2k budget. This is, IMO, the best plasma panel out at the moment. Out of the box the pq is amazing, has all the connections you need(2xhdmi, 2xcomponent,s-vid), no image retention, superb build quality, 3yr warranty and killer design.

If £2k is the max then, as I said above, would demo the PHD8. The new 9th gen Panny panel is out soon but that will probably be more expensive than the current 8th gen offer.

You are already doing the right thing by demoing as much as possible as you need to live with screen and it is your money! Just remember all the panels in places like comet, currey's etc are all set up to say "buy me" to the customer and not calibrated peoperly so when you get it home it looks like pants!

Steve

TarMoo

Adding a new interface card to a PHD8 is about as challenging as changing a lightbulb. My 14 year old daughter put a HDMI card into the set for me a few weeks ago. Don't be put off buying a "professional screen" because you have to get a screwdriver out.

Michael Tonge

You can buy a 42" PHD8 with one board for £1000 on ebay now, brand new with 2 year guarantee

nikz06

Michael Tonge said:
You can buy a 42" PHD8 with one board for £1000 on ebay now, brand new with 2 year guarantee

Ive only seen the PWD8 for around £1000 with 2 year guarantee

Michael Tonge

nikz06 said:
Ive only seen the PWD8 for around £1000 with 2 year guarantee

Ah, my mistake, it is the PWD8. What is the difference between these 2?

Also, ebay is perfectly safe to buy expensive electronic items, as long as you are careful- if the seller has good reputable feedback (thousands of similar sales in the past), is UK based and a store address etc.

Many stores use ebay as a another sales channel- Orange, Panasonic, Richer sounds, Loewe, etc etc.

It is perfectly alright, as long as you are careful. i've bought several items £500+ on ebay with no problems, and these have included guarantees- it is just like buying from a shop in many ways. (many of the sellers are shops) :thumbsup:

But at the end of the day if you don't trust it buy elsewhere.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
the PWD8 is also available for under £1000 delivered (ebay not such a bargain)
PWD8 852x480 res
PHD8 1024x768 res (and better internal electronics)

Michael Tonge

hornydragon said:
the PWD8 is also available for under £1000 delivered (ebay not such a bargain)
PWD8 852x480 res
PHD8 1024x768 res (and better internal electronics)

Is the PWD8 HD ready?

PlasmaVirgin

Horny - How would you compare the PHD8 to the Fujitsu? I'd obviously imagine the Fujitsu is better, but in your opinion is it worth a grand or so more?

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Michael Tonge said:
Is the PWD8 HD ready?
NO its HD combatile but not "HD ready" which is a an EICTA set standard

IS the fujitsu worth £1000 more (the price of a decent scaler) well it depends, The fujitsu is a stunning package loads of inputs great internal scaler beter warranty and naked a better Picture! full specced and calibrated with a scaler a PHD8 will cost you the same or more and have the edge. Both will benefit from Calibration and an external scaler (video processor) its a toughie if your budget is under £2k get the panny if its over £2k get the fujitsu if its exactly £2.5k your going to have to make your own choice

creative-av

I think what is going in favour of the Fuji is that it doesn't need a video processor to have a great picture - it is like that just out of the box. Whereas the PHD really does benefit from a video processor.

Only real answer is to demo for yourself and choose which one you like best!

Steve

N

nephalion

creative-av said:
I think what is going in favour of the Fuji is that it doesn't need a video processor to have a great picture - it is like that just out of the box. Whereas the PHD really does benefit from a video processor.

Only real answer is to demo for yourself and choose which one you like best!

Steve

Thanks again to everybody for your comments, the discussion has been most helpful. I have one last question (honest... then I'll go buy something... promise)

I was actually thinking of buying the PHD8 (following this discussion) and a video processor to go with it. This of course would be about the same price as the Fuji 58 (on the basis I'm thinking £1200 for the processor). I'm still erring in favour of the former over the latter if only because I can change screen in a couple of years time and still have an external processor to boot. The counter argument is probably, by the time I need (want more like) to change screen the processor will be redundant as the panel processing power by that time will be infinitely better and the external processors on the market will, also, be infinitely better too. Therefore the external processor I buy today might not give any benefit to the generation of panel I buy in, say, two-three years time!!

Any thoughts?

creative-av

I don't think a processor you buy today will be redundant in 2-3yrs.

The current LumagenHDP(SRP £1295) has SD and HD processing including 1080i per-pixel motion adaptive processing. The firmware is constantly being updated to support new functionality. The downside of the Lumagen is the chipset that it uses which is not the best for SD&HD Video but is spot-on for SD&HD Film.

The newer processors(VP30, Crystalio II) may be better than the Lumagen wrt Video processing but the Lumagen is still equal, if not better, in some cases with Film processing.

If you go the PHD route remember to add in the price of a HDMi/DVi card if you want to use the HDMi output from any source devices.

I think HD summed it up - if your budget is under 2k get the panny, over 2k get the Fuji.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited