1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Decisions Decisions" TOSH DLP/LG DLP pros + cons

Discussion in 'TVs' started by timanfiya, Nov 25, 2004.

1. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally decided to go with DLP technology instead of plasma and have narrowed it down to two but just can't decide which to go for, mainly looking at picture quality and value for money.

Saw the LG RE-44SZ21RD in currys on a dvd and the picture was fantastic, pretty fantastic on analogue too, considering how many tv's they run off one ariel.

Went to see the Tosh46wm48p today and this looks very nice tv but didn't seem as sharp a picture as the LG, but still very good(Although it was a different store so could have been down to the signal it was being fed??)

Need to make my mind up pretty quick as want before crimbo so tried to list some pros and cons. See what you think, feel free to correct any mistakes and give me your opinions.

LG pros:

100hz flicker free (although lg site says 300hz??)
    picture in picture mode
    digital reality creation
    Been out a while and seems proven and tested with reviews to see
    Cheaper price at £1280 inc vat and del
    Progressive Scan
    Virtual Dolby sound

LG Cons:

Smaller size
    Only teletext no fasttext
    Not in stock 2-3 wk wait
    Contrast ratio less than tosh at 800:1
    Supposed Rainbowing (Is this fixed on the 21 model?)
    Reflective screen
    Unsure if lower picture res than Tosh?)
    Only 20Watt sound output

Tosh pros:

Bigger Screen
    Nicer cosmetic design
    Higher resolution (HDTV ready?)
    Higher Contrast ratio 1000:1 but some sites have shown 2000:1
    Fasttext
    Available now
    Front/Side AV input (easy to plug in consoles)
    Newer updated technology ????
    Matt screen (no reflections / no rainbow)
    40Watt sound output

Tosh Cons:

No progressive Scan
    No Picture in Picture
    Nicam sound, not virtual dolby (although I have surround sound anyway)
    Only out for a short time with few reviews and not time enough to spot the faults (all tvs have them)
    Price is more with a £1600 tag inc VAT and Del
    Only 50Hz Frequency ?? Is this right
    No digital reality creation?

I bet there are loads more pros and cons but these are the differences I have noticed between the two sets. Any help and advise in this decision would be much appreciated.

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you absolutely must choose between the Toshiba and LG, go for the Toshiba.

I would go for the Optoma 50" all the way, better DLP can't be found today.

Have you seen the Optoma?

3. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought about the optoma50 but really cant go that big, just will not fit in the room it is intended for. Plus my budget relly can't go more than about £1600.

4. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else got any opinions/suggestions? Have read through the current threads on these products but none seem to directley compare the two?

5. tarmac is hard

tarmac is hard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed in your original post that you say the tosh is not progressive scan - In the marketing bumpf from Tosh it doesn't say either way, but in the manual it cleary states that the component input on AV4 supports progressive. I ordered a Tosh from TV and Video direct on Tueday, and it arrived today :clap:

6. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    it is progressive scan thru its component inputs.....anyways how did you get the toshiba thru TV and Video direct when on there website they only sell the LG dlp??????

7. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't show up on the website through the menus but it does if you search for the model number.

http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/product.php?xProd=1212

This is the link for it. Their store is only up the road from me in Bolton and they had one on display, this is where I went to look at it. Unfortunatley I could not directly compare it with the LG as it wasn't on display.

Thanks for the info on the progressive scan. Another mark for the tosh

8. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you have it all set up could you let us know what you think, especially on a normal signal through sky digital or analougue ariel. As I might have already said, the LG seemed to have the better picture but it's hard to tell on displays in store, especially if the two models are in different stores.

Let me know if I've made any more mistakes about it's spec.

Cheers mate.... Happy Viewing :thumbsup:

9. tarmac is hard

tarmac is hard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, will let you know how it goes - I went into the local comet store (Guildford) and got them to put on a DVD for me (RGB input) - it was very off putting as they had it next to the Sagem showing HD stuff! Tried to convince the guy to hook up the HD source to the Tosh, but he said they couldn't :mad:

Actually noticed that quite a few places have the Tosh published on their website - Direct Digitial for example - in some cases you needed to do an explicit search as there seemed to be no way to navigate via the usual web menus. PRC Direct where another place I found it hidden away.

10. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that, I will go on the other sites and check the prices. When I asked Comet for a demo on some of the TVs on DVD they just refused. What was the Tosh like on the DVD (RGB input)? The LG shows a really sharp picture with vibrant colours. The only Demo of the Tosh I saw wasn't all that good on Sky Sports News Channel, I think?

11. tarmac is hard

tarmac is hard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in comet quite late at night (about 19:30) during the week, so was quiet at the time - maybe that helped.

Tosh looked superb with DVD - Had them play some quite dark scenes - blacks looked really good - overall was very impressed with what I saw. So much so I spent me hard-earned on one. At the time I was weighing up the Samsung/Sagem/Tosh or Panasonic Plasma - Also considered the Optoma RD50 but simply didn't like the look of it. Tosh looks very nice - They've done a great job cramming the technology into the cabinet - very discrete compared to the Sagem/RD50

If you are interested I paid 1699 + 34 P&P for mine - which seems to be the asking rate at most places (with the excpetion of Costco and Comet)

12. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Tarmac but I've just had a bit of a disappointment - Just measued the width of the Tosh up against my new Tv unit and it won't fit, I thought it was 1350 wide and it turns out its 1300 wide. Can't even let it overlap a bit as tall units go up on either side - S**t. :mad: :mad: :mad:

So it looks like I'm going to have to go for the LG afterall unless I change my mind again and go for the 42" plasma :confused: - heard alot of things about losing alot of the brightness after only 3 yrs so looks like LG DLP must be the way. That is unless anyone knows of a similar sized DLP that might be better??

Ps: this might not make you all that happy Tarmac but Empire Direct are doing the Tosh for £1545 inc VAT plus £50 delivery. They are also doing Buy now Pay 12 mths.

13. tarmac is hard

tarmac is hard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  14. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  15. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you download the manual from the LG website it would appear to have fastetext

16. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry bout that had been looking at both, just posted the wrong link from my favourates. I was comparing the LG with the Tosh DLP not the plasma.

17. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was considering a 42" PWD6/7 but after seeing hi-def at the Hammersmith show on a Sagem I became convinced a DLP set was the answer. My eyes are sensitive to rainbows, especially on DLP projectors so a demo before deciding is essential. I've not seen the RD50 yet, only the Sagem and Toshiba at Comet.

The Sagem hi-def was fine, but I did see rainbows on some panning shots with terrestrial. Does anyone else get the occasional "rainbow effect" on the Toshiba and Sagem?

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Guys!! After reading this thread, i've just realised that i can get the Tosh at the incredible low price of £1,544.00 from Empire Direct!!!! Before reading this thread, i was wondering how i could become a member of Costco, as they were cheaper than Comet, but it doesn't look like i need to bother with Costco now!! Thanks Again!!

19. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok perhaps a silly question but what exactly is this rainbow effect I keep hearing about? I hear lots of mentions about it but have never seen a description of what it actually is.

Having had many previous problems with CRT RPTVs (Tosh, Samsung and Sony) I am seriously considering going for, probably the Toshiba, DLP RPTV. AM I likely to find image quality issues with this as well? How does the image compare with CRT RPTVs and Plasma screens?

20. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That is a question everyone is gonna give you a different answer to, your best off going and seeing for yourself! i do not or have not ever seen a rainbow after trying very hard to see them by moving side to side quickly you are suppose to see it but like i said i can not, I think it is over stated but maybe some people do suffer from them.....In the states they use to have 4 sement wheels on the dlp 3yrs ago now and they were suppose to show the problem alot.

21. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Yup - some people see them - others (the majority it has to be said) dont.

As Welsh stated, the best thing to do, is go and see a set on demo somewhere - If the picture looks perfect - you're good to go!

I've seen some rainbow effects on an HD2 projector that I saw demo'd - but didn't notice them on an HD2 Sagem Axium TV.

It appears that the DLP TV's especially those with HD2+ DMD chips (Optoma RD50/65, Tosh etc...) are less prone to producing the effect.

22. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could any of you guys with the tosh dlp measure the exact width for me to see if it is the same as on the spec sheets, I have seen the specs show 1350mm - is this right or is it slightly bigger/ smaller??? Trying to see if there is any way to make it fit?

Thanx

23. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the exact width is 53 inch from ear to ear :D
    hope this helps

24. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great stuff, thanks Welsh. Looks like I could fit it in after all, might overlap my tall side unit by a cm or so on either side, but it will only be the thin speaker part and won't be obtrusive on the cupboard door.

Only problem now is I've got to decide if I want it :confused:
    Just been to look at it again, this time in comet, playing a dvd. Picture looked a little grainy, not as sharp as I would have expected? Starting to think of plasmas again. Oh god, I wish I could make my mind up!!! :suicide: :suicide:

25. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    either way i know the feeling of not know what to do it is alot of money! I am glad i bought it at costco as i can take it back and get my money back at any time no questions ask (or at least very little). But can honestly say that this telly in my opinion is the best out there for the money but would still like to see the optoma rd50 to compare with. Some movies look great and others dont and PAL version disc's look worse as they are not as well flagged as NTSC disc's are and some dvd players are better worst then others.......remember the better the display the less forgiving it is with crap stuff! but i also have the hitachi hidef plasma and also think that is not that great with alot of material similiar to the thomson and the toshiba so just but be something to do with the amount of pixels as sagem owners complain about the same thing on some dvd's and satellite material.......My brother in law has a techwood plasma screen and things like finding nemo look great on it as it hides the flaw's behind the big pixels on it (although colours and contrast are crap on this plasma).
    once again may the force be with you lol

26. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with Welsh - a lot is down to DVD player quality and actual nature of DVD itself - and as Welsh says, NTSC discs tend to be better overall (they tend to have better extras/features and sound options too!).....

As far as I'm concerned, my Samsung 46inch DLP looks stunning with DVD movies (both REgions 1 and 2) - and that's just via an RGB scart from my Panasonic DVD-S75 player......no rainbow effect - at least according to the 10 people who've seen the set for at least 2 hours over the past few days......(my house has been like Kings Cross station with people in and out wanting to see the new "baby")....