1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions decisions - help me decide

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nburcombe, Aug 18, 2005.

1. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all,

Just an opinion wanted really. I'm eyeing up a few HD LCD's at the moment and I'm torn......(criteria is that they must have HDMI)

I was intially looking at 32" - but have since started considering 37" also.

In the 37" catragory I'm stuck (budget limits) between the Sharp LC37P50E and the Toshiba 37WL56 I can't make my mind up and I can't find anywhere that can demo both to me.... I'm leaning towards the Sharp based on reviews of the model below, but I'm not sure that's wise. Could be different technology for all I know.

In the 32" catagory I'm wrestling with Toshiba 32WLT58 (2 x HDMI - SkyHD and PS3), the Sagem HDL32T, Toshiba 32WL56 because of the price and the Hitachi 32LD7200 because of the picture quality - the price of this TV is very expensive for a 32" - but if the quality is amazing then it might be worth it.

If the 37" Sharp was £1300 would everyone just say "get that"?

Thanks in advance for any replies

nick

2. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    When i bought my Sharpe LC32GA5E i was eyeing up the Toshiba 32WL48 (IIRC) and was told numerous suppliers that the Toshiba actually has the same screen as the Sharpe and was in fact manufacured by Sharp.

At the time the Toshiba was very hard to get hold of and all the suppliers reccomended that the Sharpe had the better picture.

Had no problems with but is obviously missing HDMI but still has component so should be ok for Sky + HD. :smashin:

3. f1005705

f1005705
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There

The LC37P50E is not a HD LCD as it has been optimised for Standard PAL transmission of 580i and will down scale any HD source to suit. Having said that I have the 32P50 and I am very happy with it. The PQ with DVD is fantastic via component and the SD pictures are great too (I need to upgrade some cabling from my Sky dish and aerial to see if it improves PQ.

Regards

4. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmmmm. So are there any true 37" HDTV's on the market? I noticed that the Toshiba is 1280 x 720 I thought a HDTV to be truly HD it was supposed to be 1366 x 768? Maybe I need to re-read the "sticky" threads....

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    nburcombe

Please note HDMI is not the same as 'HD Ready' - here in Europe the Broadcasters have agreed to stick with 1280x720P and 1920x1080i HD Formats at 50Hz with HDCP applied via a Digital (HDMI or DVI) Output socket.

Not all devices fitted with HDMI sockets will work with these signal types - many HDMI equipped Displays are only compatible with 720P and 1080i at 60Hz; look carefully at Signal Compatibility charts when considering a new Display.

If the Display is compatible with the above HD signals at 50Hz its likely to shout out that its 'HD Ready' and carry the 'official' HD Ready logo.

Best regards

Joe

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I had the chance to look at Panasonics 37" lcd over at The Media Factory a short while ago. I believe it can be fitted with the 8th Gen plasma boards so it'll support all the UK HD formats. We used it with an external Lumagen scaler via the PC input with some upscaled DVD. I thought the picture looked great for LCD. I played some material that I thought would show the LCD smearing that most folk are used to but it wasn't to be seen. I was pretty impressed. It's not got plasma black levels and it doesn't look physically as pretty as a Sharp Aquos etc but I think it's probably worth investigating.

It's a 1366x768 PANEL.

Gordon

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    That wouldn't be an LCD from Panasonic - 37" + is strictly Plasma domain.
    I see you mentioned 8G plasma board, so it's just a little Freudian slip then! ;)

Oops, just read the rest - you're back in LCD mode again. Nope, it's a brainfart you had then, not a Freudian slip.
    Oh dear, hard day at the office was it? :D

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello all

It was the Panasonic TH-32LHD7 that Gordon had a quick play with earlier this week.

Its a 1366x768 array - so looks very good with a PC and/or HD source.

I've had a quick look at it with my SKY+ signal and it was fine with the Movie channels and OK with the lower bit rate channels - I want to try watching it for a few hours over the weekend though before giving it the thumbs up on all sources.

Unfortunately its a 7 Series so no support for 720P or 1080i on the HDMI Input at 50Hz; that said we've not actually tried it as yet to prove or disprove the specs; something else to try out this weekend.

Price wise its the same price as the NEW TH-42PWD8 Plasma Display.

Best regards

Joe

PS I think I mixed Gordon up with 7's and 8's and 32" with 37" - it was a pitch black room mind and we were supposed to be testing Projectors at the time!

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    So it would seem - but it's all in good fun. A little light hearted jesting never hurt no-one.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    PJ: Very hard week at the office....two emergency trips to dentist including nasty removals and infection treatments...then this morning the last trip where I get told how I need to sell a Kidney in order to afford the "9" appointments I'm going to need to sort my mouth out.....ouch.

G

11. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Ouch indeed!
    I'll not ask how that came about, but sorry to hear that all the same.

12. nburcombe

nburcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  13. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Yep, but there's a very long thread in the correct forum for discussing these type of TVs - LCD - which has the 32" being a bit hard to recommend to anyone, although the problem is alledged to be sorted now.
    Depending on what price this one is, you could also look at the JVC DS6 or Sharp GD7/GA6 as (personal) alternatives.

14. bfrost

bfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can the Sharp LC32GA5E power up directly into PC input mode or do you have to always select the input after powering up?
    Bri

15. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The newest Panasonic LCDs I see here in America put out some of the best picture quality of all LCDs and noticeably better than the Sharps. Samsungs are nice too. Panasonic plasmas are gorgeous with really deep contrast and saturated colors.