1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions decisions, arghhh, need help!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AgentPingu, Jan 24, 2005.

1. AgentPingu

AgentPingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I've been reading this forum for months now whilst contemplating a purchase of an LCD tv, I didn't realise just how little I knew until I came on here, you all truly are a fountain of knowledge....so I thought I'd pose my dilemma to you and see what you think. :)

I'll try and keep it short and sweet for you......

I'd like an LCD tv for my bedroom, I've a viewing distance of approx. 2.5m, and I want a good size screen to give that 'cinema' feel, however, I don't want to spend over £1000 unless I really have too. I'm also saving my pennies in order to get my own place, so the TV will then become the main lounge TV!

Originally I was looking into a Panny TX-32LXD and fell in love with it, but luckily, after reading on here, I realise I would have been paying an awful lot of money for something that isn't exactly future proof. :nono:

On the future proofing front with HDMI etc, I know I'll want Sky HD, but the chance's of me affording it are quite slim! and although I have a lurrrvely Pioneer Home Cinema System, it doesn't have any Digital outputs, nor Component (so maybe it's not that lovely, but I like it).

Anyway, I'll get to the point for you, I'm going off track slightly......in Powerhouse, I've found an Philips 26PF8946, now yes, I know straight away everyone has thought....ooo, no no no, old model, don't do it fool, but..... it's up for only £750, looks pretty sexy, will have the wall mount (which saves me an awful lot of bother) and most importantly, at that price, is it not replaceable (or can be demoted to a bedroom tv once I have a house) come the time Sky HD is in full flow???

To me the picture looks good (and that's on an in store demo!), although it seems it doesn't have Pixel Plus, but the main thing holding me back is the screen size, does anyone think a 26" will give a nice big screen I can get lost in with my sort of viewing distance???

So if I could have any opinions on what I should do, it would be much appreciated, :thumbsup:

I'm sorry for writing such a long essay!!
    Kind Regards

Agent Pingu aka Dave

P.s. Tv will mainly be used for DVD's, although shall get a Freeview box, and may well hook up a laptop, although not for gaming, just for boring old work......oh, and lets not forget the PS2!!! :clap:

2. AgentPingu

AgentPingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me again,

Sorry for the ridculously long post, didn't relise it was quite that bad.
    If you can't be bothered to read the above, i'll summarize.......

Philips 26PF8946, £750, old model, but still good, worth buying??? will it be big enough with a 2.5m viewing distance?

cheers

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    At the distance you'll be viewing at a 30 - 32 incher would be OK. The price for that set at Powerhouse is OK. There are plenty more up to date sets in that size for considerably less.

Check out some of the threads regarding the Acer 26" LCD - less than £700. Also Comet have a nice 27" Toshiba 27WL46B for £799. This is a proper, up to date true 16:9, 3 Scart TV. Not HDTV ready though. Actually I don't think there are any true HDCP enabled LCD's for less than £1000 that are.

Jimmy

Shop around.

4. AgentPingu

AgentPingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jimmy,

I had been taking a look at the Toshiba, but have heard from a few people that they are not very good sets, they reckon they suffer from problems with ghosting, although looking around at other threads or here people seem to disagree with that one!

My only experience with Toshiba is with CRT's, but I can't fault them on that front.

Thanks again